• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some very good/useful links in the above list - thank you very much.

Jtchinoy

Reaction score

$400?! The yen has slid that much? I paid $600 a couple of years ago.

They implemented artificial inflation in 2014. Come January 1st, 2014 the yen dropped to 100 to 1 overnight. Was as low as 125 late last year and is now at 118.

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
Shopping around for a simple, rose gold watch. Something you can wear with a tux. Budget's in the $500 range anybody have any suggestions? :)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shopping around for a simple, rose gold watch. Something you can wear with a tux. Budget's in the $500 range anybody have any suggestions? :)

Definitely go vintage/second-hand.

If you look around, you'll find quite a few good-quality, vintage watches from the 1950s and 1960s by Omega, Hamilton, Bulova, Tissot and various other decent makers around that price, and probably lower.

Rose gold might be more difficult, as yellow gold was more commonly used back then. Also, the watches will most likely be "gold capped", meaning that the case is steel with a thin layer of gold wrapped around it - apparently more gold than "gold plated" and thus less prone to wearing off, but not solid gold.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score

The prices of old Omegas have gone up a bit because of how hard the brand is marketed these days, and there are also a lot of fakes/parts bin specials around. But, still worth a look from respectable sellers.

Solid gold in that price range is going to be tough, but not impossible: most vintage watches were smaller and slimmer than the modern styles, and the smaller they are, the cheaper they tend to be as a result. If you're looking for something very subtle to wear with a dinner suit, then perhaps a smaller watch will be fine for you, depending on your wrist size and personal taste.

Yellow gold is more common, but there are definitely red/rose/pink gold versions around. I'd take a look for Edox, Marvin and similarly obscure brands from the 50s and 60s, and in that price range you might even find Hamilton, Longines or Zenith - just. Case size is likely to be a maximum of 34-35mm for a manual winding men's dress watch from that period, but personally I think that fits your purposes quite well. I speak as someone wearing a 35mm 1970 Omega with my suit most days - on a 7.25" wrist that belongs to a 200lb body!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought rule of thumb was not watch with tuxedos. Regardless of that I wear my Nomos Tangente as it's the closest thing to a "dress" watch that I have. It's going to be tough to find a solid rose gold watch in that price range. You can probably do the color of metal, but don't think you;ll be able to do the real thing.

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
I thought rule of thumb was not watch with tuxedos. Regardless of that I wear my Nomos Tangente as it's the closest thing to a "dress" watch that I have. It's going to be tough to find a solid rose gold watch in that price range. You can probably do the color of metal, but don't think you;ll be able to do the real thing.
True, I usually don't wear watches with tuxes but I'd like to have that option anyway just in case :/ Don't really need solid gold since I'm not gonna wear it much, therefore the low price range.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my go to watch when wearing a tux.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
True, I usually don't wear watches with tuxes but I'd like to have that option anyway just in case :/ Don't really need solid gold since I'm not gonna wear it much, therefore the low price range.

The vintage watches I suggested were proper gold - if you want pretend gold, anywhere from $50 up is good! But personally I think it's tacky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads