• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StayClassic12

Reaction score

RR-NYC

Reaction score

Wristwatches is a very broad spectrum. I myself fall under the "Snob" section (Which means only swiss pieces, no ETA movements, all in house, not obnoxiously over sized or jewel encrusted watches) But without getting into that much detail I will say that for new comers the best intro watch is a Omega Speedmaster. It looks great, is stainless steel and black so its easy to wear and has a horological history. Online they run for about 1.4-1.6k. That or you can get a Rolex DateJust pre owned, with a sapphire crystal two toned in gold/stainless or white gold/stainless online, they run about 2.5k. Stay away from TAG and Movado their the same price and terrible pieces. Either the Rolex DJ or Omega Speedmaster can be the last watch you buy if you no longer want climb higher into the horological hierarchy.
ETA are Swiss movements. A speed master for 1.4k-1.6k and datejust for 2.5k? I hope you're talking euro because I've never seen prices like that in US dollars

TDOT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo

What model Seiko is this? Gorgeous...

I have the same watch (and I love it). I kept the OEM Nylon Strap on mine, but dig the nato as well.

The watch can be found sometimes on overstock.

Reaction score
36bc9f96.jpg

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Update:  I just realized I have $1700 in my paypal from selling my gold on my runescape account from like a year ago.
LOL i totally forgot about that and I never used paypal until that watches site told me to pay with it.
So i guess my budget "could" be a little higher =)

Must be a delightful feeling :)

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey SF, I'm looking for a cheap but classy watch and I was wondering what do you guys think would be better? Newbie123's watch replaced with a black leather band http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VCI5AE/ref=gno_cart_title_1
ir
Or this Seiko 5 watch in a black leather band? http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Seiko-Automatic-Black/dp/B003TXONKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336247447&sr=8-1
ir
Something like this after the replacement. I think they both would look great, but I can't choose between the two. Thanks a lot.
The first watch is safe and versatile but boring. Watch 2.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For closely watched trains.

thisisfun

Reaction score
Wristwatches is a very broad spectrum. I myself fall under the "Snob" section (Which means only swiss pieces, no ETA movements, all in house, not obnoxiously over sized or jewel encrusted watches) But without getting into that much detail I will say that for new comers the best intro watch is a Omega Speedmaster. It looks great, is stainless steel and black so its easy to wear and has a horological history. Online they run for about 1.4-1.6k. That or you can get a Rolex DateJust pre owned, with a sapphire crystal two toned in gold/stainless or white gold/stainless online, they run about 2.5k. Stay away from TAG and Movado their the same price and terrible pieces. Either the Rolex DJ or Omega Speedmaster can be the last watch you buy if you no longer want climb higher into the horological hierarchy.

I doubt your credibility as a "snob" mainly because you sound like you're repeating whatever you've been reading in watch snob articles on askmen.

Last edited:

thisisfun

Reaction score
^ I'd like to know where you buy Speedmasters for 1.4k.

Truth be told, they do show up from time to time on ebay, but 9 times out of 10, they're in horrible condition; severely scratched hesalite and a case and bezel that have been scuffed to hell. I did a restoration on one a few months ago, took me damn near three weeks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads