• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo shirts for work - any recommendations?

Solari

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently started work at a more casual establishment and am looking to buy a couple of polo shirts (open to short and long-sleeve) to wear (and wash) on a 2-3 times per week basis.

Ideally want something with a comfortable fit, natural fabric and can hold its structure through many washes.

Any recommendations please?

I have quite short arms too so somewhat concerned about the long-sleeves.

tnjed

Reaction score
I wear long sleeve polos to work, even if it's warm out. Short sleeve polos tucked into trousers seem odd to me, but some people can definitely pull it off. Kent Wang polos are good. I have one and enjoy wearing it. I had to size up but look at his measurement charts. I would think you can shorten the sleeves on a long sleeve polo, but maybe I am incorrect. Berg & Berg long sleeve polos look good too, but I do not own any. Simon from Permanent Style was offering some polo shirts but they were a bit pricey and I think they are sold out now.

GoIrish

Reaction score
2nd the Kent Wang recommendation. Excellent quality, especially for the price. I size up as well.

Solari

Reaction score
2nd the Kent Wang recommendation. Excellent quality, especially for the price. I size up as well.
Hmm I'm usually a small or medium so maybe I'll go for medium. How are the sleeves on the long-sleeves? are they quite long or short?

cookiemonster89

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently started work at a more casual establishment and am looking to buy a couple of polo shirts (open to short and long-sleeve) to wear (and wash) on a 2-3 times per week basis.

Ideally want something with a comfortable fit, natural fabric and can hold its structure through many washes.

Any recommendations please?

I have quite short arms too so somewhat concerned about the long-sleeves.
I'll 2nd kent & wang

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm I'm usually a small or medium so maybe I'll go for medium. How are the sleeves on the long-sleeves? are they quite long or short?
If you are normally a small or medium, go with large for Kent Wang. Seriously. I'm normally a medium-to-large and had to go with XXL for Wang. His shirts are nice, but sizes are very small.

Surprisingly, Charles Tyrwhitt actually makes some extremely nice polos with good collars, like this one. http://www.ctshirts.com/us/sky-blue...BQSjXj6Z22mzIE6shoCMuoQAvD_BwE&marketing=true

and

http://www.ctshirts.com/us/blue-and...64&start=47&cgid=casualwear-polo-rugby-shirts

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you've posted to Classic Menswear; polo shirts strike me as being much more of a Streetwear and Denim thing. Be that as it may...

For short sleeve polos, I'll recommend Lands' End. They're affordable (particularly when on sale, which is often), come in every color under the sun, come in every size from tiny to huge, are of decent quality, and have no logo or branding on them.

Buy a variety of sizes, cuts, weaves, quality levels, etc., and return the ones you don't like to your nearest Sears store. (While there are still Sears stores.)

For long sleeve polos, I'll recommend wearing an OCBD.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll 2nd kent & wang

Kent is just one person. He posts here regularly, is a nice guy and lives in London.

Surprisingly, Charles Tyrwhitt actually makes some extremely nice polos with good collars, like this one. http://www.ctshirts.com/us/sky-blue...BQSjXj6Z22mzIE6shoCMuoQAvD_BwE&marketing=true

Tyrwhitt polos used to be much, much nicer. Up until a few years ago they had heavier fabric, velvet interior cording to keep them from riding up and mother-of-pearl buttons. They also had no branding, which is non-negotiable for me. The current ones are OK but are a pale imitation of their former glory.

I'm not sure why you've posted to Classic Menswear; polo shirts strike me as being much more of a Streetwear and Denim thing.

Don't get me started. In forum years, I must be about 87 because I am constantly having to struggle against the urge to complain about the decadent present and how much worse it is than the forum's largely-mythological golden age.

[minirant]It is kind of depressing to see how many branded threads are on the front page at any one time, though. Those used to be almost non-existent if you didn't count the Anderson & Sheppard expatriates thread.[/minirant]

For long sleeve polos, I'll recommend wearing an OCBD.

From a CM perspective, this is a really, really good idea. I can't think of any situation not involving rugby where it would be better to where a long-sleeved polo shirt than an OCBD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads