• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plaid Sport Coat

greenrebellion

Reaction score
What do you guys think about this sport coat and how flexible is it in terms of pants that can be worn with it. Can I wear it with Navy/Khaki/Charcoal/Olive trousers...maybe even jeans as well?

greenrebellion

Reaction score
Follow up question...I measure 36 inches in the chest, but the brand pictured above runs a tad narrower than others in the shoulders. So the shoulder measurement is perfect in a 38R, but that leaves 2 extra inches in the chest.

Would I be better off being 1/2 inch short on the shoulder measurement or 2 inches long in the chest measurement?

There isn't much room for error on the going shorter side since I'm basing all my measurements off a very slim fitting MTM suit.

Back on the original post, I think a plaid jacket like this is an underutilized aspect of many men's wardrobes, and it seems fairly versatile to my naked eye...am I off base?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would I be better off being 1/2 inch short on the shoulder measurement or 2 inches long in the chest measurement?
?

Get the shoulders right. But if the right shoulder means the chest is too big it's the worlds way of telling you to try a different brand.

That jacket doesn't work for me. It would be okay for a fifth or whatever jacket but if you're asking I'm guessing you don't have a huge selection already.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh it's not too bad, though it was going to be another horrible 70s one from the thread's title.

Last edited:

greyinla

Reaction score
Can I wear it with Navy/Khaki/Charcoal/Olive trousers...maybe even jeans as well?

Yes you could. But buy one that fits. There's no shortage of plaid jackets out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads