• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(PICS ADDED) Big Alteration Mistake - Need Real Advice

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
First of all, I have been reading this forum for a while and the individuals that contribute here have really taught me a lot. I can personally say I have become a better dresser and have saved an insurmountable amount of money by following the advice that is posted on this website.

Unfortunately, I wish I read some things on here before I did what I did. I bought a Jack Victor sports jacket (i know, oh i know) for $160 that was made with super 120 zegna fabric. it is a 44 and I am a 42 athletic fit (around a 33 waist) I thought it fit well except for the waist and body. I had a tailor (he has made suits but not on a bespoke level) tailor it to bring in the sides, raise the collar, and shorten the sleeves for $100. He did a majority of the work from the bottom of the armhole down in order to taper it appropriately. He didn't understand me and it came back looking "skirty." He worked on it again no charge and it ended up fitting much better but it seems that there is too much fabric still around the vent.

A friend of mine that is an experienced tailor, making custom suits for himself and others, and for a very prestigious retail outfit selling high end suits, took a look at my request. He said that he would taper the sleeves as they are grossly oversized, bring each shoulder in and reduce the armholes (which as some of you may know, are ridiculously oversized) for $150. Now I know this guy is the real deal, but I have allready spent $260 on this jacket, which wouldn;t have hurt so much since it is half-canvas and zegna super 120's. Also a very very nice pattern.

My question is this: I cannot do anything with the jacket and look like a moron in it. Do I eat my loss and move on or roll the dice and go for the alteration? My gut feeling is that it may come out great. The jacket is about 1.5 - 2' too long so that gives him some play since the jacket will probably move up.

I know a lot of reputable folks state that you should never bring the shoulders in. Can some people let me know what they think? I guess at the end of the day the jacket will be close to custom so I don't really mind spending the money as long as it comes out allright. I just wish I went to the second person for everything since I think 250 for what I am getting done is too much. It is what it is. Talk about a lesson learned.

Here are the pics: I took them with a sweater on since I wore one today and some without.

JVFrontPic.jpg

JVnosweater.jpg

Untitled.jpg

jvback.png

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Without pictures nobody can really say, however I feel that if you eat the loss save up a bit and get something better you will be much happier in the end. You are eventually get something new, and like better that will last you longer, correct? If so, why spend more money on this one and then get better things down the road? Waste of money.

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Without pictures nobody can really say, however I feel that if you eat the loss save up a bit and get something better you will be much happier in the end. You are eventually get something new, and like better that will last you longer, correct? If so, why spend more money on this one and then get better things down the road? Waste of money.

If the jacket ends up fitting me like a custom jacket would it will be worth the money. Its great for both jeans and trousers. The tough part about eating the loss is that I will have a jacket I will never wear.
facepalm.gif

I will take some pictures tonight and hope people can share some thoughts. Everyone here will be my deciding factor.
worship.gif

ndw

Reaction score

+1 - major surgery/alterations almost never turn out the way you imagine or want. Further, the fact that it is a 44 and your are an "athletic 42," at least to me, indicates that unless the jacket is completely remade it will never fit properly. I'd eat the loss (or try an resell for a nominal amount to cover some cost) and take that $150 and apply it towards something you will actuall wear/like. If your friend is a tailor it may help to have him take your measurements so you can know what you are looking for in the future.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eat your losses. Get a jacket that fits your shoulders and the length so that all you need is a bit of a nip in the waist and the sleeves.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Yes, eat the loss and buy something that fits better in the first place.

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Putting pics in main post

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Hi

Stretched like that it's hard to make any comment on fit and besides I'm not knowledgeable enough to be talking about such alterations. However, with regards to the money spent, that I can comment on:

That money is gone (so-called sunk-cost) and should in no way influence your decision on how to go forward. The only relevant question is whether you have additional money to spend and whether you want to spend it on work on this jacket. Whether doing this is something reasonable, a competent tailor should be able to tell you. But it has nothing to do with what you already spent.

Good luck with the decision and I hope it turns out good-looking for you!
Reto

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivystyle
yeah..that does look skirty... advice is to sell it and get a bespoke from your friend.

And i spent 100 to fix that....i cant believe I did this, i know better. I have been fiending for a navy sports jacket and the fabric was awesome and i got sucked in and thought it would be all good.

damnit
censored.gif

johnnyhooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivystyle
100 for waist alteration is a way too much in my opinion. Tailors in my area charge around 25 - 35 depending on how long you've known them.

he also raised the back/collar and shortened the sleeves. I got semi-ripped off

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads