• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paying bribe for admission into top school - Worth it ?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Dood that's like labor on 100 suits. The SF answer is don't do it.
wait, this guy's right. one hundred suits!!! in 20 years when your kid comes up to ask you where the money for his education went, you can go to your closet (dressing room? suit garage??) and pull out a brand-new unworn windowpane check, light your cigar and say "this is where, son. this is where."

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
It will be much more difficult to get him into the 'top' school after 8 years as the seats at nursery level are 120-150 while there might be 5-8 seats after that in each class. Plus, irrespective of what people here might think, even in India not everything can be 'managed'. Great probability that I might not be able to find the right person to get the job done in 8 years.

This is not a traffic cop type of situation in which it can be safely said that if I am paying 200 INR to get out of a particular situation then 8 years down it might be 500 INR or 1000 INR or whatever.

this makes me say an even more emphatic yes. If the probability of securing your child a spot in this prestigious school is very high now (given the requisite INR), and low in the future, I suggest investing now. Also, if you're making 1 crore INR, I don't see why you wouldn't (or shouldn't) invest in your child's future (barring any circumstances that are completely unrelated to this, but related to your financial position).

Do it. And don't look back. Your kid will thank you when he's rolling with the big shots at IISc/IIT/IIM, etc.

Monaco

Reaction score
From a moral perspective, I don't see much wrong with this. He is basically paying for a private education. Either way, I feel it is worth it for your son but also think about if he is playing with rich kids, when they all grow up, your son will likely feel the pressure to keep up with them buying luxury goods, etc..

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Admissions just started for this year's session which will begin in April, so I thought I will update this.

I didn't pay last year and my son goes to a decent school but it is 18 kms away. I am now totally reliant on my driver and ayah. So, I am thinking of shifting him to a school nearer to my home.

The 'good' school around 2 kms from my home has this criterion for admission

http://www.dpsi.ac.in/DPSInternatio...2-13/Admission 2012-13 Jan/Nursery2012-13.htm

There are a total of 41 seats available in a class of 75, rest are reserved.

Applicants from Embassies will be given priority: Embassy applicants will not feature in the General category.

The remaining seats will be given according to the following criteria.
S. No.

Category

Sub Category Points Alloted

SIBLING

DPS International - 20
Other DPS Schools - 10

(a) FOREIGN NATIONALS - 20
Foreign Passport Holders
(b) GLOBAL TRANSFER CASE - 20
Transfer in 2011-12

EMPLOYEMENT PROFILE

(a) Multi-National Companies (Direct Employees) - 20

(b) Government Sector - 10

(c) Private Sector - 10

(d) Public Sector - 10

(e) Self Employed - 10

(f) Others - 10

SPECIAL NEEDS - 05

GIRL CHILD - 05

FIRST BORN - 05

SINGLE PARENT - 05

My son gets 15 points total, 10 for self employed parents and 5 for being the first born. Just to give an idea why paying bribe is a financial decision rather than a moral issue

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My son gets 15 points total, 10 for self employed parents and 5 for being the first born. Just to give an idea why paying bribe is a financial decision rather than a moral issue

You can just refer back to this thread any time you have questions about why the US treats South Asian countries with so little trust.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a prestigious school you send him to Rosey. Don't be such a cheap Charlie.

Philip

Reaction score
There is prestige in pre school?

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just reading this thread now ... sorry but if the school really offers superior education then you were foolish not to pay the bribe. if it's just a social status thing then it doesn't really matter. but guaranteed top schooling for 12-14 yrs... 22k USD is a bargain, and with your income it is nothing... still time to make the bribe?

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
Do it.

Even if the standard of teaching isn't significantly better, the fact he has gone to this school will help with his applications in later life.

For example, here in England, you stand a significantly better chance of getting into Oxbridge/London Uni's had you studied at say, Eton. This degree will then lead on to a more favourable job application (and this will also be strengthened by the aforementioned School education)

There is also the bonus of mixing with the right people, if he keeps in touch with some of his classmates he could have a few lawyers, accountants and doctors that owe him a favour.

With regard to the feeling of guilt... **** that. If I paid that much money (and I hope too) to get my children into the right school, I would be proud of it (although I wouldn't shout about it stupidly)

(And you get the bonus of saying your son goes there in social situations, I guess)

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks "**** no, he'll be able to do it without being surrounded by rich *****"?

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
I apologise for not realising this was an old thread with the former post.

In reply to Sander though, sure I agree but it's always better to improve your chances at anything?

It just depends how you value the benefit.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
being surrounded by rich ***** leads to developing good personal relationships with rich ***** which eventually leads to being a rich *************

The Thin Man

Reaction score

being surrounded by rich ***** leads to developing good personal relationships with rich ***** which eventually leads to being a rich *************

But what if one wants to be rich without being a ****?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spend that money on a Mandarin and Arabic babysitter-tutor instead: being trilingual in the most marketable languages of his adulthood will ensure he gets a job even if he sucks at school. Send him to the US or UK when he's old enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads