• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paying bribe for admission into top school - Worth it ?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I have come to believe that networking while very important, is unlikely to be uber helpful for kids from age 3-14. In fact, majority of us establish more productive forms of connection later in life. That said, I believe that establishing the right environment for kids to grow in is very important. [snip] If suppose you do not pay the bribe, would there be a chance that you might be able to transfer your kid to that school or a better one in the future, say when he is around 12 or 13?
in principle I agree with you here on the importance of networking in elementary school vs high school, but suspect that add eight years to the equation, the only difference will be that he is looking down the barrel of a 50k bribe rather than 20....

kirancp

Reaction score
I don't know which city in India this is exactly but I really think 10L is just too much. You could use that money to put your kid in some real good tuition if and when required. Please enroll ur kid in a normal school where middle-class parents send their kids to and ensure you spend enough time with him. He will turn out much better there than in a school where every rich parent (Rs 10L makes everyone in school rich and probably, spoilt) send their kid. Definitely not the kind of education I would advice in India.

I studied in a public institution (Central Schools) in India and didnt turn out too bad and I dont think anyone in India networks before B-school. It may work in some West Coast preppie school in US not is Delhi Public School!!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
in principle I agree with you here on the importance of networking in elementary school vs high school, but suspect that add eight years to the equation, the only difference will be that he is looking down the barrel of a 50k bribe rather than 20....
A lot of people make some of their best friends in grade school, especially if they don't keep switching schools. At private schools, the bonds are frequently tighter because you do so many activities/sports together. College friends can be the same but the elites are probably going to be conscious of the fact that a lot of people have an angle at that point and it could be harder to break in to their circle. Plus, the odds of meeting them are much smaller since they're mixed in among a much larger pool of students. When kids are younger they don't think about that stuff and just make friends of whoever (at least in the west... maybe indian children are more conscious of social class)

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
One point I'd like to make is whether or not you are financially capable of your kid "keeping up with the joneses" in this private school. It would be emotionally cruel to put him into some elite school where he's surrounded by things that make him feel inferior and tortured by the lifelong pressure to succeed. In that case, send him to public school, have a stimulating family life for him, and help him cultivate a happy life. The truth is, if he can get to where you are financially with the public school, he can be pretty comfortable and happy. If you make enough money to fit in with the population at the private school, I see no reason why you shouldn't usher in a new age of class distinction and wealth for your family. and 22k over 10 years 2200 dollars a year? that's car insurance for a nice car. the money is nothing.

mano

Reaction score
I haven't read most of this thread so ignore my suggestion if it's been already offered.

The OP is going about this whole situation all wrong. If people such as your maid make so little money find a young very attractive girl and pay her to seduce the man who is requesting the bribe. Be generous with her, allowing the seduction to take place over time. India is rife unscrupulous people so you can surely find someone who knows someone who can arrange such a thing and have photographs taken when he's in a compromised position. It should cost you no more than a few thousand dollars. Then extort your child's admission to the school.

The man will fear and respect you and will gladly accept your offer of friendship after the fact. As the years pass occasionally drop not so subtle hints you can destroy his life if he so much as forgets to pass you the tangdi golumbaaz when you invite him and his family over for dinner. Not only will you save a lot of money but you'll enjoy your new found dark side. Eventually you'll both laugh about it, I assure you.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
i have some firsthand knowledge, yes. thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

For what it's worth, I wasn't making an assumption about your firsthand knowledge either way. Your post was just a convenient place to hang my comment.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wife is suggesting that we put the money into an equity mutual fund. With the way indian stock market is booming we should have enough in 15 years to put him through 4 years of college. Hopefully should be even enough for a US or a UK university.

Thoughts ?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Wife is suggesting that we put the money into an equity mutual fund. With the way indian stock market is booming we should have enough in 15 years to put him through 4 years of college. Hopefully should be even enough for a US or a UK university.

Thoughts ?

The markets are unpredictable so your mutual funds can be lost within a short period.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thoughts ?

nobody knows about that kind of thing, what's the typical dividend yield, capital gain might be or might not be there...

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts ?

never listen to the wife

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt

It will be much more difficult to get him into the 'top' school after 8 years as the seats at nursery level are 120-150 while there might be 5-8 seats after that in each class. Plus, irrespective of what people here might think, even in India not everything can be 'managed'. Great probability that I might not be able to find the right person to get the job done in 8 years.

This is not a traffic cop type of situation in which it can be safely said that if I am paying 200 INR to get out of a particular situation then 8 years down it might be 500 INR or 1000 INR or whatever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads