• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

DrewMill

Reaction score

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
So my 9E Odells are a perfect fit for my larger, left foot and a touch loose on my smaller, right foot. I've remedied that with a tongue pad. I feel like an 8.5E would be a perfect fit for the smaller foot as it measures a pretty perfect half size done from the left.

Since any shoes ordered from Paul Sargent directly are made to order, I'm wondering if I should maybe go for a split size in the future, at least for slip-ons like loafers and chelsea boots? Would that look strange or is that what they kinda do with bespoke shoes anyways (at least in the most basic sense)?

Last edited:

DrewMill

Reaction score
Cross-post from the boot thread:

Paul Sargent Castleton chukka from AFPOS (now on sale).

Mounted on studded Ithside sole in 87 last. The combination of last, proportions, clicking, leather make a wonderful boot. They have the heft that I spect from English GYW shoes and a very careful finish.

View attachment 2025547 View attachment 2025549 View attachment 2025551 View attachment 2025553

Trying to decide between these and the C&J Moltons. Any idea how the two brands compare? (Not including the price difference.)

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between these and the C&J Moltons. Any idea how the two brands compare? (Not including the price difference.)

The Molton has a square toe and a longer vamp. The rounder toe of the Castelton looks very nice for my taste. But aesthetics is a personal choice.

The construction of both exude quality. The leather in the Castelton is surprisingly soft and the colour variation looks great.

Last edited:

brotherender

Reaction score
So my 9E Odells are a perfect fit for my larger, left foot and a touch loose on my smaller, right foot. I've remedied that with a tongue pad. I feel like an 8.5E would be a perfect fit for the smaller foot as it measures a pretty perfect half size done from the left.

Since any shoes ordered from Paul Sargent directly are made to order, I'm wondering if I should maybe go for a split size in the future, at least for slip-ons like loafers and chelsea boots? Would that look strange or is that what they kinda do with bespoke shoes anyways (at least in the most basic sense)?
I went that way with one of my orders. Glad I did.

thelonius

Reaction score
So, is Paul Sargent working OK now? I hope so. How is the firm evolving since the closure of AS? I was v surprised at the rapidity (12 months?) that Paul Sargent took off following the liquidation of AS. I always liked Sargent shoes. Who knows, I may buy a pair of Russell in brown grain.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
So, is Paul Sargent working OK now? I hope so. How is the firm evolving since the closure of AS? I was v surprised at the rapidity (12 months?) that Paul Sargent took off following the liquidation of AS. I always liked Sargent shoes. Who knows, I may buy a pair of Russell in brown grain.
I have no idea how they compare to the old Alfred Sargent, but my limited experience has been of unparalleled excellence. Their online sales manager kindly took the time to give detailed advice on lasts and fit. My Odell loafers are definitely better quality in terms of both leather and finishing than my similarly priced Cheaney Imperial Saxons:
1000006544.jpg

My Odells were made to order and arrived right on schedule. Due to some fit issues, they are very kindly making my next pair on a different last more suited to my foot shape and doing a split size pair. The option of different width and even different lasts is a huge plus to me as someone who has always had fit issues with RTW shoes.

jssdc

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of cherry Moore’s right when PS came back online. They arrived about a month ago and are really great. Exactply what one expected of the old AS - super high quality leather and staining, different trim details that are not G&G.

But, I sent in a pair of burgundy (mto) Moore’s at roughly the same time for resoling and have been unable to locate them. This despite several exchanged messages with the team.

so the craftsmanship is there but the business ops not yet.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of cherry Moore’s right when PS came back online. They arrived about a month ago and are really great. Exactply what one expected of the old AS - super high quality leather and staining, different trim details that are not G&G.

But, I sent in a pair of burgundy (mto) Moore’s at roughly the same time for resoling and have been unable to locate them. This despite several exchanged messages with the team.

so the craftsmanship is there but the business ops not yet.
They just posted a pair of burgundy Moore's in for repairs all done. So I think they found your shoes and they are ready! Really gorgeous by the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads