• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paolo Scafora Bespoke Shoes Have Arrived

ENT

Reaction score
This whole toe box issue brings up a question which I've had for quite some time -- when is a toe box too square? I know that, in general, square toes are in very poor regard and can identify the particularly egregious ones (Kenneth Cole for instance), but what makes this one so bad (not necessarily my opinion but obviously held by many others who've posted) compared to the picture of another squared-off toe box which was posted later in the thread?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's once again a question of personal preferences....
I can fully appreciate the skills of the shoemaker and that's the most important...
Concerning the square toe affair,beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ENT
This whole toe box issue brings up a question which I've had for quite some time -- when is a toe box too square? I know that, in general, square toes are in very poor regard and can identify the particularly egregious ones (Kenneth Cole for instance), but what makes this one so bad (not necessarily my opinion but obviously held by many others who've posted) compared to the picture of another squared-off toe box which was posted later in the thread?

I think people might not like it as much not because of the squared shape of the front of the shoe, but because of the width of that squared off front end. A shoe can have a squared off, "chiseled" toe and still be very sleek. The lines of the shoe will still curve forward into that flatter toe tip. If other words, it can be wide at the widest part of the foot and still narrow in at the toe, which many find aesthetically pleasing. A wider toe means the shoe can have less of that shape - fewer swoopy curves. Rather, if you were going to describe some Kenneth Coles with squared toes, you'd say they look more like blocks or bricks - no real "shape" at all, and just solid lumps. These don't suffer from that as much. They still have a nice curve from the instep to the toe. But these shoes still do not really appeal to me because of the square angles, and I think it makes them look a bit chunky, a little too like you could use them to wedge between a door or something. Aportnoy knows I love him and can take solace in the fact that I like each of his other 200 pairs of shoes. But these don't do it for me at all.

I have some shoes that are pretty square, and I just don't really like them.

borrelli010smalljv2.jpg

santonismallsb5.jpg

They are too clunky, too inelegant, too... I don't know?... not my style at all.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
It's once again a question of personal preferences....
I can fully appreciate the skills of the shoemaker and that's the most important...
Concerning the square toe affair,beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

That's a very good point.

@zjpj83
They are too clunky, too inelegant, too... I don't know?... not my style at all.

Why did you get them?

ENT

Reaction score
zjpj83, thanks for the concise explanation. So it's basically a gestalt thing. You know it when you see it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads