• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online Courses - Coursera, Udacity, EdX, etc.

brokencycle

Reaction score

The self-paced Competitive Strategy course on Coursera skims game theory, I think. Might be too basic for you, but my non-tech/math co-workers enjoyed it.

I was doing the Great Courses game theory lectures on audio in my car until I got to the point where it didn't make sense without the visuals. I'll have to try it in video soon.

I took the Advanced Competitive Strategy class (I assume you're talking about the one from Munich), and it was good. I have my MBA, so it was pretty easy but fun, and it had a slightly different twist than some of my classes.

No, I was looking at the Game Theory course but chose to do Model Thinking instead - really interesting so far.  Also hoping they offer Game Theory again soon.  

Going to start one of the Udacity courses (self-paced) on How to Build a Startup.

I tried the Game Theory II class, and it was awful. Worst class I've taken online. The Model Thinking class is kinda fun though - I am also doing it right now.

I chose the other way and regretted it by class three (and withdrew at about class 6).

Posted the above at quiz time as I sat there thinking "well this looks nothing like the course material" and hoped someone could bail me out!

Was very much a calculus thing rather than a behavioural approach. I have previously done The Great Courses game theory and really enjoyed it (for the exact opposite reason)

I agree. Game Theory II was exactly the same way. I didn't buy the book, and I had no idea what was going on. The calculus would have been no problem by itself for me, but I had no idea the why for anything.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I skimmed a bunch of humanities courses, some worse than others... Coursera's "Intro to the American Constitution" by Akhil Reed Amar, one of the foremost American constitutional scholars, is really enjoyable if you're into history

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** this reminds me im 3 weeks into a course. 2 weeks behind. wooof

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I skimmed a bunch of humanities courses, some worse than others... Coursera's "Intro to the American Constitution" by Akhil Reed Amar, one of the foremost American constitutional scholars, is really enjoyable if you're into history

If you mean "America's Constitution: A Biography" that is a sorry piece of revisionist **** that I wouldn't wipe ****** with.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, the course was just called "Constitutional Law" and offered by Yale on Coursera. I looked up that book you mentioned though, and it seems to have pretty good reviews all around — but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything. What did he revise exactly?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, the course was just called "Constitutional Law" and offered by Yale on Coursera. I looked up that book you mentioned though, and it seems to have pretty good reviews all around — but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything. What did he revise exactly?

Yeah, that's the book written by Amar. Aside from almost completely ignoring sources such as the Articles of Confederation and the Federalist Papers he goes on to reach to other primary sources that were clearly NOT an influence on the drafters in order to come to his own conclusions about what the articles of the constitution, and especially the bill of rights, were actually intended for. Plus he adds all kinds of **** that was written AFTER the constitution to suggest that those had some influence on a document written much earlier (in some cases MUCH earlier). His view as the constitution as a "living document" he can mold to his own wishes is just bullshit. **** him and his stupid progressive agenda.

EDIT:

For example, his analysis of the second amendment is embarrassingly stupid, and clearly a political ploy by someone with a small penis who is afraid of people with larger penises, hoping that the large penis men employed by the state will come to his protection should be afraid in an alley late at night.

Plus, his pathological desire to link every article and every amendment to "pro-slavery" team is likewise pathetic. Yes, the US was a slaveholding nation at inception. Thanks for pointing that out, you fuckface. That does not invalidate the only document in the history of the world that guaranteed as much civil rights and liberties to as many people as has ever been drafted, before or since. **** you.

FURTHER EDIT:

It'd be like some asshole writing a history of Obamacare 200 years from now and telling us all how it was evil because it was predicated on a pro-meat-eating culture. **** that noise. What ****.

FURTHERMORE EDIT:

"after independence, the founders created a representative Congress with explicit authority to tax Americans up, down and sideways"

Nice justification of your progressive ideals, that's why the income tax required an amendment, you stupid fuckstick.

"today, national health does indeed affect America's ultimate national strength and national defense posture. This broad view of national defense is precisely the one endorsed by President Washington in 1791."

This totally belongs in an alleged "history" of the Constitution, because getting involved in foreign wars we can't win in ****** hell holes on the other side of the planet is exactly what Washington encouraged us to do.. oh wait. NO HE ******* DIDN'T YOU STUPID ASSHOLE.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads