• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It still is, I use it all the time.
Off topic, do you have thoughts on a cashmere-silk lining for an overcoat? I have a fabric length idk what to do with (it’s 50/50, I believe). Seems pretty lightweight.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off topic, do you have thoughts on a cashmere-silk lining for an overcoat? I have a fabric length idk what to do with (it’s 50/50, I believe). Seems pretty lightweight.
Sounds like an odd one, perhaps warm but the durability would worry me.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an odd one, perhaps warm but the durability would worry me.
So maybe not, haha. Maybe stick to a normal lining or silk if I wanted something more elevated.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So maybe not, haha. Maybe stick to a normal lining or silk if I wanted something more elevated.
I use the Bernstein silk a lot, I was always told not to use silk linings in a bespoke suit because it wears out, I have produced high 100s over the past 7 years and had no complaints

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is the handle on the cashmere-silk? All the wool-silk squares/scarves I have handled are the opposite of what you want for lining = wet, slutty. Life is too damn short for a coat that is a chore to put on.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't want to be nasty but your tailoring is problematic as the wokes would say.
You’re not the first person to mention it.

What is the handle on the cashmere-silk? All the wool-silk squares/scarves I have handled are the opposite of what you want for lining = wet, slutty. Life is too damn short for a coat that is a chore to put on.

It’s not chalky / dry. Hard to describe. Maybe I’ll bring it to the tailor and let him decide.

It’s not as smooth as bemberg or 100% silk.

image.jpg

CLH03

Reaction score
Finalized product of this bespoke ulster coat from W&S. Loving fit after wearing it all day. The fabric is on the lighter side for coating but it is spongy and drapes well. Excited to get some good uses out it for the coming winter!
Looks great! Love that fabric

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was that from the 1st edition of Harrison's Sea Shell book, from around 2016-7? I remember people started complaining about its linen-mohairs soon after the book hit the market, although I think those complaints were more about the fabric peeling, or something like that...I now see the book's 2nd edition has seemingly pared it down to 55/45 poly-linen blends only. The poly cuts down on the wrinkles and repels moisture, the linen expels the moisture and makes the cloth breathe. Sounds worth a try for a daytime suiting.

Agree with D. Reeves that linen with some silk is a good option for hot-weather black tie.
I do not know but I bought the length circa 2020/2021 from a retailer. It just reminded me of bad polyester that wrinkled alot. It looked very plasticky aka poor mans sanitation worker handle. I actually prefer their poly-linen blend, not that I have tried it. But I have had odd summer trousers made out of viscose/linen which I do like.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is nasty! Its almost good, needs a bit more attention or a good alteration tailor.
I’m glad it wasn’t just me. I thought maybe I was missing something.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the snark but would prefer direct criticism, especially regarding the tailoring. Stylistic details? I will mostly ignore those, as it seems I already know who prefers more conservative details and those who are more adventurous.

Marshak

Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate?

I'll just talk about the linen suit (your James Bond vilain jacket is from another universe), which is fairly representative of the recurring stylistic errors in your suits: buttoning point way too high, odd positioning of your super curved patch pockets and super-high lapels that spill over the back. It breaks the balance of the jacket. The balance of the pants, on the other hand, looks good. A three-piece in linen seems like an odd idea to me, but that's artistic license, so okay.

No offense.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the Bernstein silk a lot, I was always told not to use silk linings in a bespoke suit because it wears out, I have produced high 100s over the past 7 years and had no complaints
Best lining I had was some silk lining used to line fur coats. Thick and bulletproof! Not to mention lux.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads