• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mark La Rosa

Reaction score
I just proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes so I started thinking about what to wear on the day of the wedding.
The wedding is going to be in the Winter so I was thinking about this combination:

-Navy midnight velvet blazer with black peak lapels, one button;
-Light grey flannel trousers with side adjusters and cuffs (I'm quite undecided on the cuffs. Classically
they would be without but what do you think?);
-White marcella shirt with stud buttons;
-Black bowtie (velvet or not?);
-Black patent leather oxford (I love oxfords, I loathe derbys).

Now I do realise that the flannel trousers are somewhat untypical and I was wondering
whether you would suggest something more traditional like classic black smoking trousers
with silk piping and suspenders buttons.

Thanks for your input. ;)

Mark

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. Marriage is a wonderful thing.

It seems to me you are mixing two dress lineages. 1: The black tie/smoking jacket one which comes from an era where men dressed for dinner, on the highly informal end of that spectrum (a velvet jacket would have only been worn in one's own home, if no guests were present). 2: the blazer and flannels rig, which stems from a navel background and was subsequently adopted of daytime sports. Either can work at a wedding in my view, but like custard and cheese, best enjoyed in separation.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. If you go with the velvet smoking jacket, I'd do it as a casual black tie ensemble with traditional black evening formal trousers and the marcella shirt. Otherwise, I'd wear a navy or charcoal suit, white shirt and tie with black oxfords. If you want to do a blazer and grey flannels look (a bit casual for a wedding), I'd get a nice traditional navy blazer and wear a plain white dress shirt. Keep the marcella shirt for black tie.

ggg458

Reaction score
So I have procrastinated in ordering a tux for my upcoming wedding such that I can no longer use Kent Wang due to time restrictions. Now I have been looking at Suit Supply and didn't realize that there are essentially only two tux options:

- A midnight blue shawl option but I'm concerned that the blue is not dark enough and looks trendy (and thus dated in 10 years); or

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...uits&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Evening-Manhattan

- A black peak option, albeit with rounded lapels, which look strange to me

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...eFit&prefv1=Evening-Manhattan|Evening-Smoking

Does anyone have any input or reasonable suggestions of other retailers I could look at under $1,000.

For what it's worth, I was planning on getting a Kent Wang shawl collar in a very dark midnight blue.

Thanks in advance.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald shawl or Regent peak. If you buy on Dec. 25th or 26th, it should be 30% + an extra 15%, so ~$714.

It's going to depend a lot on the fit. SuSu did not work for me. BB Fitz did.

I haven't seen the SuSu blue tux in person, but if it's not a true midnight, I would not buy it if it will be your only tux. It will make you stand out in situations you may not want to (e.g. other people's weddings).

Last edited:

white collar

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald shawl or Regent peak. If you buy on Dec. 25th or 26th, it should be 30% + an extra 15%, so ~$714.

It's going to depend a lot on the fit. SuSu did not work for me. BB Fitz did.

I haven't seen the SuSu blue tux in person, but if it's not a true midnight, I would not buy it if it will be your only tux. It will make you stand out in situations you may not want to (e.g. other people's weddings).
If it matters to you, I vote BB Fitzgerald, I was in the store not long ago and they are very nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads