• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate ties, dont have one, and they make me feel super uncomfortable.

If it's your wedding and the bride is cool with this, fine (though why would you wear a black suit of all colors if going tieless...). Otherwise, it's not about you. Check with the bride or groom to see what is being worn. Your preferences matter less than conveying the appropriate respect for the occasion as a guest.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All, 

Two super easy question. My wedding is in 48 hours

1)Should there be a crease ironed down the sleeve of my shirt? (I read that its a matter of preference and either way is correct, but what is more appropriate for a formal wedding?) 

2)I got a fairly expensive watch  (expensive for me probably not for most of you) as an early wedding present, should I wear it, or is a watch less formal/appropriate? 

Thanks in advance!

With regards to the watch - if someone significant like your future wife or your or her parents gave it to you I would wear it.

The sleeve ironing does not matter.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If it's your wedding and the bride is cool with this, fine (though why would you wear a black suit of all colors if going tieless...). Otherwise, it's not about you. [COLOR=FF00AA]Check with the bride or groom to see what is being worn. Your preferences matter less than conveying the appropriate respect for the occasion as a guest.[/COLOR]

Really?
In this day and age, one has to actually "check" with the couple to see what is being worn? I mean, come on. **** like this can't be figured out on your own?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With regards to the watch - if someone significant like your future wife or your or her parents gave it to you I would wear it.
What he said. I groomsman'd for a friend last year; his bride arranged for a bottle of bourbon and a nice watch to be delivered to him in his hotel suite that morning -- you'd damn well better believe he took off the watch he was wearing and put that one on instead.

Johnsson

Reaction score
If it is a dress watch and especially if you received it as a gift from the bride, I don't see a problem with wearing it. My wife did her research and bought me a very tasteful watch as a wedding gift, while joking about my legendary tardiness. I was early for the ceremony, and she was 15 minutes late, though the watch was not really a factor. I had no plans to wear a watch that day otherwise, but it would prove useful in keeping things on track during the events between the ceremony and reception (if you have such a gap).

As for the shirt sleeves, as others have said, nobody will see them. I iron my own using a shirt board and leave no creases.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I was the groom and one of my friends called and asked how they should dress, I would hang up on them.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really?
In this day and age, one has to actually "check" with the couple to see what is being worn? I mean, come on. **** like this can't be figured out on your own?

Of course it can be figured out on your own. The standard easy solution is to wear a suit and tie. It's a pretty basic norm. If one is going to depart from it (in this case, a guy who refuses to wear ties), it is wise to ensure one is not behaving out of line. It's really common courtesy to check with the people getting married when in doubt.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's a simple issue of showing respect for people and the occasion. Basically, he's a guest. His preferences don't rule the day.

Listen. not wearing a tie to a wedding is not anywhere near a "departure" from the norm if one has a suit on. Not wearing pants IS a departure if one has a suit on.
Having to call the groom/bride and ask.."Is it ok if I don't wear a tie" is just ridiculous.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The easiest solution there is just to wear a tie. If you're enough of a grownup to not have to ask the bride and groom what to wear, you're enough of a grownup to own and wear a tie when the situation calls for it and not complain about it being uncomfortable (though maybe the guy needs a dress shirt that fits him properly).

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ The easiest solution there is just to wear a tie. If you're enough of a grownup to not have to ask the bride and groom what to wear, you're enough of a grownup to own and wear a tie when the situation calls for it and not complain about it being uncomfortable (though maybe the guy needs a dress shirt that fits him properly).

I agree 100%. I wear ties to weddings.
When the reception starts, many people simply take them off.

All I am saying is that having to pick up the phone and ask if one can not wear a tie is just ridiculous. Either wear one or don't.

Last edited:

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a simple issue of showing respect for people and the occasion. Basically, he's a guest. His preferences don't rule the day.

We're not talking about wearing bermuda shorts to a wedding and asking if it's ok. We're talking about a tie/no tie. This hardly elevates to a permission issue. I have never heard of someone asking for permission to not wear a tie to a wedding.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanjida191