• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be aware that with flat-cut double-breasted vests, it is not customary to leave the lowermost button undone.

...and yes, that DB vest looks amazing with your navy suit.

I'd echo ter1413 on the sleeves being too short -- or perhaps the jacket sleeves a shade too long -- and go so far as to suggest picking up a shirt with French cuffs. If there's ever an occasion for cuff links it is one's own wedding (I wore a pair owned by my great grandfather).

facet

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's very helpful. In that case, do you think it would be better to switch the buttons out with regular ones or just not bother? Yeah, the sleeves are definitely too short. I do have a French cuffed shirt that I plan on wearing for the wedding where the sleeves are long enough that a little bit of cuff will show. I was just too lazy to break out the cufflinks for these particular pics. And thanks, random-adam, for the buttoning advice; I'll remember to not leave the lowest button unbuttoned.

Any thoughts on this as well?

On the second question, one of my groomsmen asked if it would be acceptable for him to wear a pair of burgundy shoes with his suit. Even though myself and the other groomsman will be wearing black, my first inclination is to say yes as it's probably his best pair and they're wearing their own suits anyways. It's a minor thing but thought I could solicit opinions on that point.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Re: the black versus burgundy shoes, I really think this is a case where black is simply more appropriate and that black would look better. I wouldn't stress too much about it, but black is the traditionally correct shoe color for a wedding and, even if the wedding party is not matching, everyone wearing black shoes just makes sense.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree....burgundy would stand out way too much.

btulls

Reaction score

I really think this is a case where black is simply more appropriate and that black would look better. I wouldn't stress too much about it, but black is the traditionally correct shoe color for a wedding and, even if the wedding party is not matching, everyone wearing black shoes just makes sense.

what about just for regular guests? is black still the most appropriate or am I fine to wear my oxblood or burgundy shoes?

ovlov

Reaction score

what about just for regular guests? is black still the most appropriate or am I fine to wear my oxblood or burgundy shoes?

While most would say black is the truly correct answer I think the rule of thumb is to consider how close to the couple you are. If you have a place in the wedding where you will be in list of the photos I would wear black shoes or ask the couple what they expect. Otherwise so long as you dress formally and tastefully you'll be fine.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd agree with Ovlov but with a bit more emphasis on black being truly correct. It's the best choice but you can probably get away with not wearing black shoes at a fair number of weddings.

facet

Reaction score

I wouldn't care. You're not wearing a uniform. While black shoes are more traditionally correct, burgundy will still look good.

^^ Re: the black versus burgundy shoes, I really think this is a case where black is simply more appropriate and that black would look better. I wouldn't stress too much about it, but black is the traditionally correct shoe color for a wedding and, even if the wedding party is not matching, everyone wearing black shoes just makes sense.

I agree....burgundy would stand out way too much.

Sounds good, thanks very much for the feedback.

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Two unrelated questions:

1. Which buff vest do you think looks better with my suit (navy)? As an aside, while I really like the idea of wearing a vest with my suit, I'm also open to the idea of forgoing it altogether if it looks better without it. For context, my wedding will be an afternoon one in a couple weeks.
I too prefer the DB vest!

As a general question, are there any rules when it comes to combining non-matching vests with suits?
I will be having my wedding in September, and I also think of wearing a vest with my navy suit. However, I'm thinking of silver or light grey. Thumbs up or a no-no?

bozz2006

Reaction score
received my tie - which i really like - and my shirt from Proper Cloth - which i think is going to fit my weird gorilla body beautifully!

facet

Reaction score

I too prefer the DB vest!

As a general question, are there any rules when it comes to combining non-matching vests with suits?
I will be having my wedding in September, and I also think of wearing a vest with my navy suit. However, I'm thinking of silver or light grey. Thumbs up or a no-no?

I don't see why not; dove was the other colour that I saw the most when I was looking for waistcoats. I think it would look nice.

Last edited:

Brattman

Reaction score
My partner and I are having a casual lakeside wedding at her family's lake house in August, and I have all the details of my outfit worked out except for the pocket square. Any thoughts on matching the pocket square to the tie? The Hill-Side makes a pocket square with the same fabric. Here are the components of the outfit to give a better sense of what I'm going for:

Suit:

Shirt:

Tie:

Shoes:

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member