• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless it's on the beach or if he tells you not to wear one wear a tie.

Either suit is fine I would stick to a white shirt.

Point collar for a wedding.

Loafers are fine but wear socks for a wedding. And not some heavy weight boat shoe sized loafer but a slim dress one if you have to.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@drmmr, I'd definitely wear a tie. Some sort of wedding tie or tie in the silver / grey range for the navy suit. For the light grey suit, perhaps a dark navy tie. White shirt either way. I'd go with a standard spread collar. A cutaway is too extreme of a look IMO and a true point collar does not look good.

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input,@archibaldleach! Looks like simple does it. Was thinking of getting a nice but simple patterned tie. Drake's or something. I'll definitely check out spread collars and decide between point and spread.

Really appreciate the advice gentlemen. Just a wee bit anxious cos it's my best mate's wedding and the last time I attended a wedding I was in high school and turned up looking like a proper twat

mfridman

Reaction score
I have a question about an appropriate tie for a wedding:

My friend had his wedding past Saturday, and I wore a grey glen-plaid tie with a white shirt and a navy suit. Today is my gf's brother wedding, and I am also wearing a navy suit and a white shirt - but different ones. I don't know how should I approach the tie - should I wear the same one I wore just 3 days ago? Or can I go with a classic navy jacquard tie?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Grey glen plaid is an excellent tie for a wedding. If you want to wear something different in the future, another grey-scale wedding tie (there's a thread on wedding ties is a good choice). A solid grey tie with a navy suit and white shirt would also work well. I really only like to wear a navy tie to a wedding if I am wearing a grey suit. All that said, if you show up in a navy suit, white shirt and tasteful navy tie, you will look great and most will be none the wiser that you are not wearing a wedding tie. If you want to go for that extra touch of good taste, I recommend either wearing the same tie or something in the silver / grey range.

mfridman

Reaction score
So I stuck with the glen plaid tie (Kent Wang), and my outfit was:

Suit Supply Sienna Birdseye Navy Suit
TM Lewin shirt
Kent Wang glen plaid tie
Dunhill cufflinks
Suit Supply white cotton PS
Frederique Constant watches
Loake Strand shoes in black

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Agree the jacket seems a bit tight based on the photo, but as far as the color combination itself is concerned...elegant, timeless, classic. Well done.

mfridman

Reaction score
Yes, the jacket is indeed a bit too tight. Need to get it re-altered. Plus while taking the pics I had my wallet and my cigs in the breast pockets, so that added to the pull.

bozz2006

Reaction score
looks great, Johnny. i'm so lost when it comes to finding a necktie. midnight blue suit.

advice so far is go with a gray tie. But Johnny looks great with the burgundy tie.

The setting is not formal. I want something a little "younger" than glen plaid. so what am i looking for? stripes? pin dot? Any examples you can share will be so helpful. Thanks guys.

bozz2006

Reaction score
thank you. how about this one?

HERE a link to a higher-res image so you can get a good look at the detail.

Last edited:

thromb

Reaction score
Looks like glen plaid is the way to for a wedding tie. This kent wang offering looks like a favorite on this thread:

any thoughts on this offering by epaulet? is it too casual for a wedding?

Last edited:

ovlov

Reaction score
Depends how casual your wedding is. FWIW I prefer Vanda. Their offerings a little more expensive (about $120us I think and about a$7 surcharge if you want made to your own measurements) but the fabric and construction are fantastic and the small surcharge to make sure it is exactly the length and width for you is well worth it. They also seem to love their plaid so there are a lot of options.

This is the one I wore for my wedding earlier this year:

http://vandafineclothing.com/store/neckties/395-dark-navy-prince-of-wales.html

and will probably pick this up for a mates wedding next summer:

http://vandafineclothing.com/store/neckties/323-brown-orange-glencheck.html

They have a lot of similar designs that are appropriate for wedding wear and also have some in wool if your wedding is in the colder seasons.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
putseller96