• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
i forgot you're just the resident apple hater for no apparent reason since you don't really care
Oh, I have a reason. And it's not that I don't care, I just don't care what your particular reasons for justifying it are. Why would I? I have an awesome phone. I'm not falling all over myself to "upgrade" to something that essentially has zero features that I can't get better somewhere else just because it's new and shiny and Apple needs my money. How convenient it must be for you that the phone that best fits your needs is made by Apple. Congratulations.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh that's cool, i don't really care though

saw your edit, my reason for upgrading is that i am using a crappy prepaid tmobile phone and before i was very evasive to signing contracts and getting sucked in, but now i feel that my wants/needs have warranted the excuse for signing one

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
oh that's cool, i don't really care though

Note that I didn't tell you what my reason is. I know you don't care.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i actually watched it, the main thing that convinced the iphone for me over the evo was longer battery life, ease of use, cheaper family plan and i didn't really care for the size of the evo since the screen is big enough for me on the iphone
i'd actually want a iphone thats stripped down a bit and 30% smaller. like an iphone nano. i really miss super small cell phones. i used to have this panasonic:
panasonic01.jpg
GD55-inhand1.jpg
i ******* loved that phone (it died after two years - my usual cell phone cycle). so small and perfect to bring on a run, on duty, anywhere.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
a while back i was browsing around looking at phones and the nokia concept phone Aeon was very appealing to me, maybe you'd like it too
nokia_aeon_2.jpg
nokia_aeon.jpg
i used to be all over a compact nano size iphone but i have come to realize that it wouldn't be very efficient for web browsing or doing much other than music/talk/text (even with texting it probably wouldnt have a full qwerty keyboard)

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering what video chatting software you guys use? Im trying to call people on computers with video, so far all i have is Fring which is just one way...

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
NM - TS and I are hashing this one out on PM.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
TS- You do care, so please stop it. I know you don't like Apple, I know you have your reasons, but for ****'s ******* sakes it's so tiresome this act of yours where you act like you don't care, say you don't care, but then, like a fly to ****, you can't stay out of these threads. Before you go calling me a fanboy, you ought to know better. After all, I started the "Apple f*cking Sucks" thread a while back. But I like my iPhone, I'm happy with my iPhone. I don't say it's infallible. I'm not a slave to Mac products. I realize their drawbacks and weaknesses, but I'm happy with the cell phone I have, and this is a thread where we came to discuss it. If you didn't care so much, then gtfo and let us normal people talk about the damned phone. I'm not going to get into a blow-by-blow with you on this, because you're positively
foo.gif
-like in your inability to say something and leave it at that, so one of us has to. Yours Truly, -Someone who is about to be accused of being a fanboy

Hey, thanks for taking me out of context, asshole.
smile.gif
There's nothing I like more than being lectured by someone for something I didn't do. Seems to be happening a lot.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
OK, a few iPhone comments and questions that are not directed at Tokyo Slim.
smile.gif
First off, while I cannot get the bars to decrease or anything like that, it seems clear to me that the reception on the new iPhone is not equal to the old one, at least not in my experience. There is one dead spot on my way to and from work where I often lose calls and data service gets sketchy. However, it appears that the problem is much worse, and the hole is much bigger, with my new phone. My old phone showed maybe 1 bar or no bars but would still say "AT&T" and show the E for Edge Network (as opposed to 3G). I would typically lose a call in that area, but be able to call right back and in that time driving I'd be back in the money. Not on the new phone - it actually read so little service for so long that it began "Searching..." and after a mile or so down the road it read "No Service." Stayed like that for probably 3 miles. This was all with the phone in a charging cradle, so I definitely was not "holding it wrong." Sucks, but overall I guess I'm still satisfied. I have had some sort of suckout with every carrier I've ever had. The phone is so much faster and the screen so much better that it's really no comparison. ALSO: I just had occasion to try calling my own cell phone when I was verifying whether the service had switched over to the new phone. When I pressed the "ignore" button on the top of the phone, even though it had rung only one time, I NOTED THE CALL WENT STRAIGHT TO VOICEMAIL.
facepalm.gif
I have been doing this for years, and it's now apparent to the caller that I have actively chosen not to take their call. Does anyone know if there's a way to change this? And beware, yourselves!

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I pressed the "ignore" button on the top of the phone, even though it had rung only one time, I NOTED THE CALL WENT STRAIGHT TO VOICEMAIL.
facepalm.gif

Damn, I do this all the time so will need to find a workaround.

First-time with iPhone after years with blackberry. I'm a left-handed user and haven't had any issues with the antenna, and signal strength is noticeably better than blackberry ATT. Am really impressed overall, although am surprised at Dysonesque battery drain and have had a few instances of a call coming in while running an app... when I answer I can still hear the ringing on my end during the conversation. Anyone else experiencing this??!

blairh

Reaction score
OK, a few iPhone comments and questions that are not directed at Tokyo Slim.
smile.gif

First off, while I cannot get the bars to decrease or anything like that, it seems clear to me that the reception on the new iPhone is not equal to the old one, at least not in my experience. There is one dead spot on my way to and from work where I often lose calls and data service gets sketchy. However, it appears that the problem is much worse, and the hole is much bigger, with my new phone. My old phone showed maybe 1 bar or no bars but would still say "AT&T" and show the E for Edge Network (as opposed to 3G). I would typically lose a call in that area, but be able to call right back and in that time driving I'd be back in the money.

Not on the new phone - it actually read so little service for so long that it began "Searching..." and after a mile or so down the road it read "No Service." Stayed like that for probably 3 miles.

This was all with the phone in a charging cradle, so I definitely was not "holding it wrong."

Sucks, but overall I guess I'm still satisfied. I have had some sort of suckout with every carrier I've ever had. The phone is so much faster and the screen so much better that it's really no comparison.

The antenna issue seems to really come into play in areas with low AT&T coverage. With that established perhaps your charging cradle is actually covering the dreaded lower left spot, and in turn with the poor coverage you know you experience in that area, causing you to not maintain/create calls in a spot where you could before. You should take your iPhone out of the cradle, perhaps in your hand making sure you are not covering that lower left spot, and see if it acts differently in that scenario.

I'm holding out for the white model, as I mentioned in this thread before. I'm really ******* annoyed that the released date for that is still in the air. All I know right now is "late July". Awesome. My 3G iPhone has essentially turned it a piece of shite. Let's get this **** going Stev-sie.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not an idiot. The cradle does not cover the lower left spot. It grasps the phone at two points - the plug at the bottom center and a plastic, nonconductive clip at the top center.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not an idiot. The cradle does not cover the lower left spot. It grasps the phone at two points - the plug at the bottom center and a plastic, nonconductive clip at the top center.

Where are you located? Because I don't have reception issues. However, I think there is a problem in some areas regarding the new reception algorithm Apple uses for the phone; I wouldn't be surprised if they change the algorithm when the iOS 4.1 update is released.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Phone is useless without jailbreak. I am now the proud owner of a pretty brick, until it is jailbroken. Still using my dying 3GS until that day comes.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Where are you located? Because I don't have reception issues. However, I think there is a problem in some areas regarding the new reception algorithm Apple uses for the phone; I wouldn't be surprised if they change the algorithm when the iOS 4.1 update is released.

Did you read my posts? It is obvious that this phone does not receive the same signal as well as my iPhone 3G. That's all I'm saying. We can get into a silly argument about how it must be where I am located blah blah blah but I had one phone, now I have another, same service plan, same service provider, same places, one phone was better than the other. My location has nothing to do with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads