• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i used to feel this way, until I got a super competent bassist who can really really play and groove, and also can write songs. much more relevant and in demand than a guitarist that can do the same.

I still feel this way even with a very talented bassist who is also a guitarist and a pianist.
laugh.gif

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm... I'll never be able to afford a '61 SG, but the not-yet-announced Jeff Tweedy 50th anniversary SG sounds pretty damn awesome - Maestro trem, 60's slim taper neck, 57 classics, pelham blue color, street price of around $1600. Might be an insta-kop for me. Will need to leave it outside, freeze it, and drown it in smoke though - I love the turquoise/green hue pelham blue takes when it ages and cracks.

guitarpkr76

Reaction score

Hmm... I'll never be able to afford a '61 SG, but the not-yet-announced Jeff Tweedy 50th anniversary SG sounds pretty damn awesome - Maestro trem, 60's slim taper neck, 57 classics, pelham blue color, street price of around $1600. Might be an insta-kop for me. Will need to leave it outside, freeze it, and drown it in smoke though - I love the turquoise/green hue pelham blue takes when it ages and cracks.

Nice! I hadn't heard about this yet. The '61 Reissue has been my main guitar for a few years now and I've always wanted one in Pelham blue.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know any good Jazzmaster pickguards? My luthier recommended swapping out the original because of shrinkage, and I'm trying to find one that looks just as good. Relic'd is a plus, either white or brown tortoise. Anybody?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by origenesprit
As an offhand, this is how I feel about bassists in general
laugh.gif

i used to feel this way, until I got a super competent bassist who can really really play and groove, and also can write songs. much more relevant and in demand than a guitarist that can do the same.
Bassists are severely underrated bother as players and also bandmates IMO. I may be slightly biased, b/c I consider myself both guitarist and bassist, but prefer the latter. lOve groovin :cool:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's mine. I think it's an American made pickguard. The guitar is a CIJ.

jazzmaster2.jpg

That looks really nice, but I find that the new ones look totally different from the vintage ones. The new ones have streaks and swirls, where the old ones were more spotted. Looks more like fire.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know how to stop the creeking of the whammy bar on a jazzmaster?
also do you need to resetup if you get a buzzstop?

I've been recording the past few days, just me messing around for some friends to contribute.
http://soundcloud.com/frenchradio

Last edited:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone know how to stop the creeking of the whammy bar on a jazzmaster?
also do you need to resetup if you get a buzzstop?

I've been recording the past few days, just me messing around for some friends to contribute.
http://soundcloud.com/frenchradio

I'd switch out the saddles instead of adding a buzzstop. As for the creaking, the trick is to play loudly enough to cover the noise :)

Last edited:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to replace my DD-7, and I'm wondering what to get. I've been thinking of getting an El Capistan or a Brigadier, but part of me has no desire to jump on the Strymon bandwagon, for some reason.

Anyone ever try a Red Witch Titan? The idea of layering three analog delays sounds pretty cool.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretty close on pulling the trigger on a j mascis jazz. plan on selling some gear off. anyone have any input?

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pretty close on pulling the trigger on a j mascis jazz. plan on selling some gear off. anyone have any input?

Those are cool looking. I can't stand his music or his personality but I love his guitars.

My '61 Jazzmaster which has turned into a bit of a project should be done soon. Just waiting to get the pickups back from Curtis Novak who rewound them.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Pretty similar to my board, in a number of ways:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics