• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6077003600_b0e0b28c74_z.jpg

my sonex is gone. short of a gibson les paul custom i'm done.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just found the most attractive guitar ever. Anyone wanna buy a kidney?

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score

6077003600_b0e0b28c74_z.jpg

my sonex is gone. short of a gibson les paul custom i'm done.

Great. Your SG reminded me of a pretty unusual guitar that my brother had. He had a Gibson SG Junior- I guess they reissued them for a hot minute back in the early nineties? Actually, after doing some research it looks like the reissue them every once in a while. Anyway, it was a great guitar that got stolen from him. :angry:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Nice boards out there. I used to have one of those power supply boards, but I found that all of the pedals seemed to run cleaner with batteries so I bought a **** load of 9V's.

also, original WH-10 wahs are the greatest thing ever.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about some of the cool vintage guitars that I sold or traded over the years and "got away". Here are three that I still wish I had.

Original, first year, 1963 Gibson reverse body Firebird I. I love one pickup guitars and the fact that Eric Clapton played one on the final Cream tour before they broke up. They are rare because so many of them had broken headstocks. Great sound, a little odd to play because of the heavy headstock. They sure look cool. I bought it from a guy who walked into the Dallas Guitar show in the late 80's.

1953 Gibson Blond ES-5. Bought it from a Postal Worker who lived in a small town in MO. He bought it brand new and soon afterwards his wife became ill so he just "put it under the bed". In 1990 when I got it, it looked brand new, had the receipts, original string packages, all the case candy. It had the T-Bone Walker sound!

This pic isn't mine but I had a 1959 Fender Esquire Custom. It was the only one I have ever seen with 5 screws on the pickguard making it very likely the very first one ever produced. I love Esquires.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

**** man, '59 Esquire is incredible.

Yeah, +1. I've never been a tele guy, but those things are just... gorgeous. Especially the custom!

Hey, PSG or Gome, do you guys have any experience with '52 Les Pauls? I'm aware of the neck angle and ****** trapeze issues, but it seems like there are fixes that work perfectly well without resetting the neck (Joe Glaser bridge replacement, like Keith Urban's). Anybody?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I also had a standard '58 Esquire with a massive neck for a Fender. Got it for $800 from a guy in the late 80's and was feeling bad that I had paid way too much :)

last year of the maple board, no?

I'm quite young, the earliest vintage strat price I can recall is a '57 on ebay for $7,500. The image is burned into my memory.

Hey, PSG or Gome, do you guys have any experience with '52 Les Pauls? I'm aware of the neck angle and ****** trapeze issues, but it seems like there are fixes that work perfectly well without resetting the neck (Joe Glaser bridge replacement, like Keith Urban's). Anybody?

I know close to nothing about old Gibsons, sorry

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, +1. I've never been a tele guy, but those things are just... gorgeous. Especially the custom!

The neck angle is an issue. I have played a few and the sound was heavenly. I am not aware of any fixes without a major $$$ repair by an experienced pro. But by the time you do that, why not just buy another guitar? They are very hard to resell in my experience with or without work to the neck and bridge.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The neck angle is an issue. I have played a few and the sound was heavenly. I am not aware of any fixes without a major $$$ repair by an experienced pro. But by the time you do that, why not just buy another guitar? They are very hard to resell in my experience with or without work to the neck and bridge.

What exactly is the problem with the neck angle, other than the fact that it makes it nearly impossible to switch to an abr-1/stopbar combo? I haven't been able to find a clear answer really (or maybe I just have terrible reading comprehension). I just read that the bridge is horrible (doesn't stay in place, can't palm mute) - but there are swaps like this: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172066
Would there still be a playability issue due to the neck even after this trapeze swap?

Last edited:

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reorganized my room. finally decided to refret my marauder. need to bring in the twin to get serviced this week.

6099404666_60b2fcbc12_z.jpg

6099383682_0346a9884c_z.jpg

put the stock speaker back in the blues jr. thinking of selling it and getting a vintage ampeg or looking at a silverface princeton reverb

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to get my best friend another pedal. I got him a Philosopher's Tone as a joke since he liked the name so much. I want the next one to be somewhat serious. My knowledge of guitars and effect pedals is rudimentary though. He uses a strat. I remember him mentioning a fondness for overdrive and delay pedals if that helps. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I want to get my best friend another pedal. I got him a Philosopher's Tone as a joke since he liked the name so much. I want the next one to be somewhat serious. My knowledge of guitars and effect pedals is rudimentary though. He uses a strat. I remember him mentioning a fondness for overdrive and delay pedals if that helps. Any suggestions?

How about a Tube Driver? Maybe you can find a used one? http://www.butleraudio.com/tubedriver.php

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mercydcom