• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is why the death of the second dragon was sooooooooooo stupid. It's an impossible shot (yes I know dragons) all the more so from the deck of the ship. Killing one so easily then having Dany destroy a few hundred of the things is terrible writing

Man so I’ve been conflicted on GOT ever since it really strayed from the books so I’m pissed of about several things per episode.

I liked last nights but have some gripes and thoughts

1. Why the **** was it so easy to kill an injured dragon (maybe that’s the point) when the fully healed one was able to burn euron’s fleet so easily.

2. So dany is going mad queen?

2nd dragon was killed, along with Missendei, to justify Dany's rage so she could burn 1000s of women and children. ****** writing but that's why they did it.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arya running through the city was, in my opinion, the best part of the new season. It was the only time this season the show took time to dramatize one of the characters.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
So I've only seen maybe 4 episodes of the entire series, but wasn't there a giant crossbow right where cersy and jamy croaked? Would've been cool if they found it and killed the dragon.

And you don't kill a pheasant with a slug. They needed to shoot all those things at once in the dragon's general direction. Buck shot.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe Varys wasn't trying to assassinate Dany with poison. Instead, he had his little bird slipping crazy pills into her food. Maybe something like mercury ("mad hatter" disease).

Perhaps he did the same thing to Aerys.

The "Mad King" was not off his rocker because he was an inbred child, but because he had been poisoned by something that causes you to make rash decisions and compulsively set things on fire. Varys failed in his plot back then, but succeeded this time around.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2nd dragon was killed, along with Missendei, to justify Dany's rage so she could burn 1000s of women and children. ****** writing but that's why they did it.

yea i am just not happy about it. But it is very GRRM to have her become the mad queen.

Maybe Varys wasn't trying to assassinate Dany with poison. Instead, he had his little bird slipping crazy pills into her food. Maybe something like mercury ("mad hatter" disease).

Perhaps he did the same thing to Aerys.

The "Mad King" was not off his rocker because he was an inbred child, but because he had been poisoned by something that causes you to make rash decisions and compulsively set things on fire. Varys failed in his plot back then, but succeeded this time around.

Firstly, how old is Varys?

Is Robert baratheon's reign that short?

I guess i am wondering what is the timeline of Mad king dying and Dany coming to king's landing. Feels like that whole period is only 10 years or something.

BTW, he couldn't have been poisoning her for rash decisions because she didn't eat for 2 days it was mentioned in the episode. The not eating for two days would lead to bad decisions.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thinking about it some more, are we sure Dany snapped? Or did she just cynically decide to murder all those people to cement her rule ("If I can't have love, I'll have fear..."), and that bit with the bells was her being conflicted about what she was about to do?

Because at the beginning of the episode sure doesn't seem to be interested in Jon's plan to let the city surrender with the bells. I still don't see any reason to think she's crazy. She's not seeing things or even paranoid. If anything she's right to distrust her advisers and allies at this point. They're the ones acting irrationally by holding her to this bizarre standard of bloodless conquest.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea i am just not happy about it. But it is very GRRM to have her become the mad queen.

I guess i am wondering what is the timeline of Mad king dying and Dany coming to king's landing. Feels like that whole period is only 10 years or something.

BTW, he couldn't have been poisoning her for rash decisions because she didn't eat for 2 days it was mentioned in the episode. The not eating for two days would lead to bad decisions.

Must have been about 20 years-ish. Bobby B took the throne at like 18 or 19 IIRC. Joffrey was 13 when they went to Winterfell. Dany lands at Westeros a few years later.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Must have been about 20 years-ish. Bobby B took the throne at like 18 or 19 IIRC. Joffrey was 13 when they went to Winterfell. Dany lands at Westeros a few years later.
Yeah, everybody is way older than they're supposed to be in the books.

There's another parallel with Star Wars. According to the prequels Ben Kenobi should have been about 45 or 50, but in the movie everyone is surprised he hasn't died of old age.

ETA: I mean, even by the show's timeline Ned should be 35 or so, about the same age as Cersi and Jamie, but he and Robert seem to be about 50.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ahh thanks so 20 years and a bunch of wars sigh sounds like europe in 1914 - 1945

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not sure how old he is supposed to be, but he was an advisor to the mad king and I believe is supposed to be partially responsible for Dany and her brother being stashed away outside of Westeros. Jon Snow's age is a pretty good barometer for the time since Aerys...

He could have started poisoning her prior to her not eating--or his little bird could have gotten some in once she started eating again (out of loyalty to Varys even after his execution).

If it was something to gradually make you crazy rather than kill, 2 days of not eating wouldn't stop it from working.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it some more, are we sure Dany snapped? Or did she just cynically decide to murder all those people to cement her rule ("If I can't have love, I'll have fear..."), and that bit with the bells was her being conflicted about what she was about to do?

Because at the beginning of the episode sure doesn't seem to be interested in Jon's plan to let the city surrender with the bells. I still don't see any reason to think she's crazy. She's not seeing things or even paranoid. If anything she's right to distrust her advisers and allies at this point. They're the ones acting irrationally by holding her to this bizarre standard of bloodless conquest.
I'm leaning this way too. Everyone is already afraid of her and doesn't really like her so she just said "*******, I'll give them a reason to be scared of me". No one on her inner circle is doing what she's asking them to do, her closest friend was beheaded, and one of her dragons was killed. Of course she isn't going to be okay after all that.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m in the camp of Dany taking a well thought out, premeditated decision to burn the city. After she gets turned down by Jon she says something like all right, let it be fear then. Referring to her realization that no one alive loves her, so she must rule by fear.

The whole vengeance things was just a bonus, but if vengeance was all she was after, she would have flown straight to the Red Keep and destroyed only that part of the city

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads