• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have to pay duty on returned items too? Got hit with a $42 fee on a $379 order from End. I didn't know about the tax so I had ordered something else in the mean time, returned it and paid the shipping. And then ordered a pair of CPs at $300 after 25% off which I thought was a sweet deal, but turns out not.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Handling fee is not the same as customs.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So for an item that was shipped to me, but later returned, would I have to pay duty for it?

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have to pay duty on returned items too? Got hit with a $42 fee on a $379 order from End. I didn't know about the tax so I had ordered something else in the mean time, returned it and paid the shipping. And then ordered a pair of CPs at $300 after 25% off which I thought was a sweet deal, but turns out not.
Does it matter what state you live in? I live in PA, ordered from end 3 or 4 times and never got hit.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Denimio to the US? Waiting for my two other End bills any day now...

Does it matter what state you live in? I live in PA, ordered from end 3 or 4 times and never got hit.

I live in CT.

Last edited:

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure fedex doesn't care about duties below a certain amount. I just got a couple of charges removed no questions asked even though I had proof. One item was incorrectly marked as made in overseas and another was returned.

doogle

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased anything from VRIENTS and then had to return it to Italy?

I emailed their CS to clarify their return instructions in the FAQ page. No one ever wrote me back for days. So I just shipped it back following whatever instructions they had on their webpage.

Yesterday the return package arrived at VRIENTS in Italy. However, they've refused to accept my return, and didn't even contact me or give me a reason. Had I not checked on the tracking today, I'd have not known about this event at all. As of this afternoon, the tracking now shows " Item refused by addressee - Item returned to sender".

So I wrote another email to them today complaining about their lack of communication now and also previously, and they replied it finally.

They say they will make an exception and call the post office now, if customs fee have already been paid (by me), they'll take the package back.

This leaves me very little time to research on this.

Any idea how to go about doing this? Do I need to contact a 3rd party customs clearance service? The package was shipped by USPS, so I'm not sure who the handler is over in Italy.

None of this should've happened if they clarified exactly how they'd like to have the return package prepared. Has something similar happened to you guys returning goods overseas?

Here's their return FAQ: http://www.vrients.com/usa/customer-service#resi

Last edited:

doogle

Reaction score
Here's another story from January 2014. The only other time I had issues returning internationally was with SSENSE. I was returning 2 different packages, 1 had trouble with customs even using the label SSENSE generated (it was for a defective item I had to return). As soon as the 2 packages reached Canadian customs, they refused to be responsible anymore. Not even for the defective return which they're supposed to take care of.

Numerous emails were exchanged over 2 weeks to a month between me and SSENSE. First they tell me they're not responsible for customs fees, and told me to deal with the customs clearance. This was ridiculous especially since one of the labels was generated by their company. I had no idea how they have filled in the customs form or who they've assigned to clear customs for them. I was not involved with filling in any information on the label at all, not even my own name or address.

A few emails later, they told me to wait, and that it's out of their hands. The package was stuck at UPS for 2 weeks. I asked SSENSE to look into what they've done with the customs clearance, and they replied that the package is held at Canadian customs, there's nothing they can do but wait.

I started to worry that both packages would be returned to me, since no actions were taken and no one wants to be responsible.

I called UPS to start an investigation on the status of the package. Turns out the package was stuck at Canadian customs because SSENSE has arranged for a 3rd party company to perform customs clearance. UPS has no authority on the package in the customs process, and is waiting for this 3rd party customs handler to complete the transaction. If this 3rd party company does nothing, both packages will be returned to sender.

I finally told SSENSE that what UPS told me, and had to tell them that it is THEIR responsibility to investigate what has happened to both packages at Canadian customs, and that it's between them and their 3rd party customs clearance handler.

They finally collected it and cleared it from customs. Terrible experience but they did finally accept the return. Communication was frequent the whole time, but it was difficult to find anyone who's willing to take responsibility. Had it went on for another day or 2, both packages would have been returned to me.

How often does a company do this to international shoppers? It felt to me like some of these companies would stall on international returns and just let it expire. I just wonder how often this happens.

Last edited:

Lokani

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same. I just order a few sneakers from Italy and will have to exchange them.. but it costs nearly half the amount to return it back. What do you guys normally do?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm wondering the same. I just order a few sneakers from Italy and will have to exchange them.. but it costs nearly half the amount to return it back. What do you guys normally do?

I just resell them. One good reason to order from Italy if you are close to 100% sure about the product.

Lokani

Reaction score
So for an item that was shipped to me, but later returned, would I have to pay duty for it?

I have the same question. I just got my duties bill for when my packaged first entered. Now, I wonder if I will get another because of my exchange. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I have the same question. I just got my duties bill for when my packaged first entered. Now, I wonder if I will get another because of my exchange. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Why would think you wouldn't get another bill?

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I called Fedex and they waived the last three bills I've gotten, but yea every time something comes in you should get a charge. Make sure the stockist marks down the country of manufacture as USA if it is so you don't get charged incorrectly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads