• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I did a quick search through this thread, but couldn't find anything pertaining to Sweden to US shipping.  I recently purchased a jacket from Smilefortress and my item has been in some city in South Carolina for the past few days under the tag "Has been sorted".  The thing that occurred right before it was "[COLOR=2A2A2A]UTLANDET, CUSTOMS CLEARANCE, IN PROGRESS" in Sweden.  Does this mean my package passed customs in Sweden and is now just held up in a warehouse in the US?[/COLOR]

I'm assuming it's sent via postal service.
Are you tracking on the Swedish site or the USPS site? You should be able to track on USPS site.
According to teh Goog, Utlandet translates to "abroad" so I assume your using the Swedish post site and that's referring to it going thru US Customs.
All international postal packages go thru an ISC in NY, Chicago, Miami, LA or SF.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
should I expect to pay duty fees for Carminas shipped from Canada (leatherfoot) to US via DHL?

If there were duty fees, do I pay on the spot or will they send me a letter like Fedex does?

I ask this because my doorman typically collects the packages and I will not be present when the package is actually delivered.

LelandJ

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Fedex sent me a nine page "invoice" on a hat I received where the amount due is $0.

musicboohoo[1].gif

bobbyz

Reaction score
should I expect to pay duty fees for Carminas shipped from Canada (leatherfoot) to US via DHL?

If there were duty fees, do I pay on the spot or will they send me a letter like Fedex does?

I ask this because my doorman typically collects the packages and I will not be present when the package is actually delivered.

I'm stunned Americans order stuff from Canada

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPS sends a bill as well?

So I'm guessing you will not know until the bill comes in the mail.

I guess it may take one month or so.

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So LeRayonFrais messed up the customs info and put 120 euro x 3 instead of 3 items totaling 100 euro +20euro for shipping. Can I provide the receipt to prove the price I paid was less than 1/3 of what is posted on the customs billing?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purchased some Carminas from leatherfoot and custom is telling me I owe them about $90 dollars (Canda to US). Not fun, ouch.

Anywa to actually lower that cost?

Last edited:

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPS makes you pay them when they deliver the package in my experience. They'll let you know beforehand how much you owe.

CaptainSlog

Reaction score
Got hit by TNT in the mail for $110 on $260 boots from sneakerboy...I think they shipped from Hong Kong to Ontario. I ordered in December and got them in January, so I thought people might want to know. Thought I'd got away with it too - wishful thinking.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Purchased some Carminas from leatherfoot and custom is telling me I owe them about $90 dollars (Canda to US). Not fun, ouch.

Anywa to actually lower that cost?

It's not Customs. It's DHL.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/328145/...questions-and-stories-thread/150#post_6619232

You need to look at the bill and figure out what tariff code they said your shoes are.
Then look up that code to see if it makes sense.
http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/
Then you need to figure out the correct code and contact DHL.

I'd expect the correct charges would be 8.5% + about $12 in fees.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we're at it.

Are there any duty fees from a fine pair of shoes shipped to the US? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads