• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SimModa Ordering online or from a shop and shipping from Can to USA (or any where outside of Canada) shouldn't have taxes in the form of GST and or a PST or a HST added unless rules changed recently and I missed it. Orders shipped inside and outside of Canada have the taxes figured out based on where the customer is located. So inside Canada each province will have slightly different tax calculations for a seller and outside won't have any. You should be under the $800 limit mentioned without the taxes.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea about duties/tariffs for shipping items from Canada to the US?

Not sure what values are needed so here's the part of the invoice based on todays conversions.
Item Price929 CAD ($736 USD)
Shipping Fee50 CAD ($39.66 USD)
Tax111.36 CAD ($88.32 USD)
Total1089.36 CAD ($863.99 USD)

The item is made in Japan.

How much would I have to pay in duties?
US retail price for the item was $710...Could ask the business to mark the price down if that would help
any experience with specific carriers?

US import limit is still $800, and I believe that applies before shipping fees. I'm not sure about taxes, although it would make sense that the US would only include US taxes (state, local) in the de minimis threshold, if any.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea about duties/tariffs for shipping items from Canada to the US?

Not sure what values are needed so here's the part of the invoice based on todays conversions.
Item Price929 CAD ($736 USD)
Shipping Fee50 CAD ($39.66 USD)
Tax111.36 CAD ($88.32 USD)
Total1089.36 CAD ($863.99 USD)

The item is made in Japan.

How much would I have to pay in duties?
US retail price for the item was $710...Could ask the business to mark the price down if that would help
any experience with specific carriers?

Where do you live where sales tax is over 11%?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Shop is in Vancouver, was surprised cause I seldom have to pay taxes. Wasn't online though it was over the phone.

That's kind of f'd up they're charging you Vancouver taxes but as long as they fill out the customs form correctly and the item is under $800 you should be okay.

SimModa

Reaction score
That's kind of f'd up they're charging you Vancouver taxes but as long as they fill out the customs form correctly and the item is under $800 you should be okay.

Yeah, they said it will be marked at the original retail price ($710USD) so it'll be under the $800 limit.

For the taxes, I had already paid before the rest of the responses about taxes came in. Wasn't sure it if was a new rule or if it is even appropriate to ask after the purchase. I'll call them back tomorrow

Last edited:

despaircollectr

Reaction score
Guys I need help. I'm trying to make sense of the numbers but I keep drawing blanks.

This package is being shipped by DHL.

1.) I ordered a leather jacket made in Japan from a shop in Dusseldorf Germany, online. I live in British Columbia, Canada.

2.) The price amounts to 1302.52 Euros ($1864.90 CAD), and shiping is 45 Euros ($64.43 CAD)

3.) DHL is asking for $361.28 CAD

3.1) I clicked on the breakdown and it makes no sense to me:

Duty: $168.09 (9.01% of $1864.90)
Processing Fee: $17.85
Tax: $175.34 (9.4% of $1864.9)

illiterate

Reaction score
Guys I need help. I'm trying to make sense of the numbers but I keep drawing blanks.

This package is being shipped by DHL.

1.) I ordered a leather jacket made in Japan from a shop in Dusseldorf Germany, online. I live in British Columbia, Canada.

2.) The price amounts to 1302.52 Euros ($1864.90 CAD), and shiping is 45 Euros ($64.43 CAD)

3.) DHL is asking for $361.28 CAD

3.1) I clicked on the breakdown and it makes no sense to me:

Duty: $168.09 (9.01% of $1864.90)
Processing Fee: $17.85
Tax: $175.34 (9.4% of $1864.9)
What was the "country of origin" on the customs declaration? If it was labelled as JP/Japan then you will get hit for duties + tax + DHL fee. Looks about right to me but I could be wrong.

despaircollectr

Reaction score
What was the "country of origin" on the customs declaration? If it was labelled as JP/Japan then you will get hit for duties + tax + DHL fee. Looks about right to me but I could be wrong.
County of Origin on the package reads "Germany" even though it's Japan. But I have here

In both cases, the Duty rate is 0% or 13%. ??

Mocotolo

Reaction score
"County of Origin" means where the article is made. If the retailer is 100% honest in their declaration, they are going to put in "Japan" in the invoice. Hence the 9% duty/tariff.

The 13% rate is like a catch all duty rate, when they don't know how to categorize the item. But like the above said, things made in Germany fall under CETA, so 0% duty/tariff for the most part.

You can fight it with DHL after you received the package. I did it many times. But you do need some sort of documentations that show DHL did it wrong.

despaircollectr

Reaction score
I gave up. I just paid the bill. Japan is part of CPTPP which is like the Asian CETA. but I cannot find a definitive literature if that duty charge is indeed valid or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads