• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oahu, hawaii

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in Waikiki, the food is generally horrible...Eggs and Things is kind of a tourist trap but its a pretty solid breakfast and they can do the spam and portugese sausage dishes nicely. long lines though.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
$13.45 for a kalua pig meal. only included these small plates....one order of kalua pig, some rice, some lomi lomi salmon, some kind of dried-type of beef (pipikalua), and some haupia (coconut gelatin dessert). honestly the only thing that stood out was the haupia. The Kalua pig was not very good, the dried rubbery beef didn't knock me off my seats either...so what was good here? Not sure. I thought it would be more comfort food....but it was very underwhelming.
Fair enough... if you didn't like it, to each his own... I think it's one of the better plate lunches available (and I like plate lunch)... although, the former owner of Trio (Henry Adaniya) left to open a plate lunch spot in HA. Not sure where, or if it still exists. I would still say that for a sit-down lunch, $13.50 is not exorbitant.

makushin

Reaction score
rent bikes and ride the trail around kaena point.
rent kayak in kailua and paddle out to the mokes.
that whole windward coast is a disaster though if the weather's poor. plan accordingly

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Also, Ninikuya garlic restaurant is off the beaten path and pretty good

I wasn't really impressed. I'd rather go a few more blocks towards Koko Head on Waialae Ave. to get the maguro rib teishoku at Maguro-ya.

If you're going to be in the Kaimuki-Kapahulu area near Rainbow Drive-In, Ono's, etc., try Leonard's Bakery on Kapahulu for some fresh malasadas (portuguese donuts done local style, now can get them with li hing mui flavored sprinkles). I also kind of disagree with xericx's description of the area as "sketchy"--it's full of tasty, reasonably priced restaurants and safer than the real tourist hub areas on Oahu. I've eaten at the Sam Choy's Diamond Head a couple of times, but I actually prefer the food at his Breakfat, Lunch, and Crab over on Nimitz Hwy.

I just ate at Alan Wong's King Street a couple of weeks ago. The service is very good, but I found the sauces and dressing were very heavy and overwhelmed the other ingredients. It was a disappointment compared to my past visits, which were a few years ago. I left wondering whether it would have been better to eat at Chef Mavro's just down the street.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
I wasn't really impressed.
I said "pretty good", not so much spectacular, but I really enjoyed the ambiance and thought the food was good enough.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I said "pretty good", not so much spectacular, but I really enjoyed the ambiance and thought the food was good enough.

Sorry, didn't want to sound like I was attacking your opinion. Just wanted to point out that right up the street is some damn good food (better IMHO than Ninniku-ya) at Maguro-ya.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
Go to Helena's for some real Hawaiian soul food. Pipikau short ribs!

I second this. Their pipikaula is awesome.

There are many Asians on this forum, perhaps one of them can explain to me the Asian obsession with
spam[1].gif
(or maybe that one is just hawaii?)

I think it's just Hawaii. Hawaii consumes the most Spam in the world. It's comfort food here, everyone grows up eating it. I know it's pretty much dog food all over the US, but we here love it.

It was expensive for what I got. We got little side dishes of items....I'm just more used to hawaiian food being really cheap and especially since this was "homestyle" food in a divey spot in a somewhat sketchy party of town, I thought it was overpriced and the quality was not really that good for what we got.

I've heard a lot of hype about Ono, it did not live up to it.

$13.45 for a kalua pig meal. only included these small plates....one order of kalua pig, some rice, some lomi lomi salmon, some kind of dried-type of beef (pipikalua), and some haupia (coconut gelatin dessert). honestly the only thing that stood out was the haupia. The Kalua pig was not very good, the dried rubbery beef didn't knock me off my seats either...so what was good here? Not sure. I thought it would be more comfort food....but it was very underwhelming.

I understand where you're coming from however Hawaiian food is pretty much "expensive" where ever you go. When I say expensive, I mean you can get a plate lunch for about $7.00 but if you were going to get a Hawaiian plate from the same place it would probably be about $11.00.

Ono's is pretty much a tourist trap so to be honest, I've never eaten there.

Oh, and Kapahulu isn't sketchy at all. There's a lot of great restaurants and hole in the wall shops. It's maybe a little surfer hippy, but not sketchy.

Originally Posted by lee_44106
spam[1].gif
+ soyu + two fried eggs (sunny-side up) + big heaping pile of rice = YUM

I second this as well.
smile.gif

If you're in Waikiki, the food is generally horrible...Eggs and Things is kind of a tourist trap but its a pretty solid breakfast and they can do the spam and portugese sausage dishes nicely. long lines though.

There's actually a lot of great places in Waikiki now!

Fair enough... if you didn't like it, to each his own... I think it's one of the better plate lunches available (and I like plate lunch)...

although, the former owner of Trio (Henry Adaniya) left to open a plate lunch spot in HA. Not sure where, or if it still exists. I would still say that for a sit-down lunch, $13.50 is not exorbitant.

He opened a gourmet hot dog stand near Downtown Honolulu. It's pretty good but not worth visiting for tourists I'd say.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
He opened a gourmet hot dog stand near Downtown Honolulu. It's pretty good but not worth visiting for tourists I'd say.
I would go just because I know who he is. We met once, but I'm sure he would not remember me... I am always intrigued when someone walks away from something like Trio on his own terms. (although his last iteration w/ Dale from Top Chef was already kind of a departure from the legacy... he had said he wanted to get ketchup and mustard back on the tables)

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha this has turned into a food thread. i love food in general though, i feel like i should eat at least 5 meals a day while there. what's sad is that the gf eats more than i do. i've gotta fit into those SF clothes somehow...haha.

anyone wanna meet up this weekend in honolulu?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
I just ate at Alan Wong's King Street a couple of weeks ago. The service is very good, but I found the sauces and dressing were very heavy and overwhelmed the other ingredients. It was a disappointment compared to my past visits, which were a few years ago.

Interesting - I was last at Wong's a couple years ago and it was wonderful. In fact, was going to recommend dinner there in this thread.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
i'll be going to honolulu soon for a few days. i like really nature-y stuff, not so much of the malls and touristy things within the city. this will be my first time.

Do you have the option to catch a flight to LIH for a couple days?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Interesting - I was last at Wong's a couple years ago and it was wonderful. In fact, was going to recommend dinner there in this thread.

Wife and I ate at Alan Wong's a few weeks ago and had the tasting menu.
Other than a nasty ass green tea panna cotta, everything else was pretty good.

To the OP, sunset drinks at the Halekulani will win points with the wife/girlfriend.

alexei

Reaction score
There is a waterfall that people climb to the top of and dive off. I want to say it's on the southern side of the island. I can't remember the name of it. It's about a two mile hike to the waterfall. It's very popular, someone surely knows the name of it. You can climb to a small point, a medium point, or the very top and jump off. I enjoyed it. It was a nice hike.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads