• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

harlemriver

Reaction score

Search Ebay for measurements provided by sellers. On Yoox look at a leg opening and sleeve cut . If leg opening is really large and sleeves don't look slim or armholes look gigantic then the suit is old and might fit like a tent regardless of size.
I have only experience with PZ small sizes and when I order IT46 it fits like slim US 48.

Or just order it and return if it doesn't work.

Pal Z has different cuts and lines. I wear mainline DBs and they dont quite run uniformly large. It has accommodating shoulders of you are broad with a good moderate to very cinched waist (relative). It's is the evergreen V that men seek. I would say maybe it's 'large' in the shoulder compared to some other brands, but not really its more so accommodates my built shoulder and arm and then it has a good amount of waist compression that is definitely not considered running large.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a fashion brand; fashion being a synonym for clothes. The Italian clothes industry. Btw in Italy nobody makes that distinction. The Italian word for fashion, moda, is used exactly like that: Everything is "la moda", doesn't matter if it's Gucci or Cucinelli.

The difference you mean exists nowhere but in the heads of SF'ers, cemented, regrettably, by the hard partitioning wall that SF erects between what it thinks is "CM" or "SW&D". If I wear a Zegna knit over a Marc Jacobs polo shirt to a pair of Tom Ford slacks and Paul Smith leather sneakers, where do I post that? Here in CM? Unlikely, there is no suit, no tie, no oxfords, not even a SC in it, not to mention that it includes non-CM-approved "fashion" brands. But is it gonna get me thumbs over in SW&D from the MA+ and Uma Wang crowd? Probably not either.

Everything we wear is fashion. The suits and SCs people wore in the 40s and 50s, including CM's much-revered style icons Cary Grant and the Duke of Windsor, looked nothing like what you guys post in WAYW today. In fact I don't even have to go that far back. The suits and SCs that Kiton, Zegna and Cucinelli, even though I hate to have his name in the same sentence as the other two, put out 5,10 and 15 years ago didn't look like what they do today. Just take a look at what's available by these brands on Yoox. Why does so much of it look so passé? Because it's the fashion from so many years ago, which is why it's on Yoox to begin with.

Granted, there are ways of staying abreast with the times without going full Hedi-Slimane skinny suit, and some brands do a better job of it than others (the recent re-branding of Brioni under Justin whatshisname is a desaster, he won't even last as long as the Canadian dude before him), but Cucinelli, to come back to the original argument, just looks stuck in time, and not in a good way. Which is even more pitiful considering what a young brand, by Italian standards, he is.

Justin O'Shea was fired in Oct.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, it's a fashion brand; fashion being a synonym for clothes. The Italian clothes industry. Btw in Italy nobody makes that distinction. The Italian word for fashion, moda, is used exactly like that: Everything is "la moda", doesn't matter if it's Gucci or Cucinelli.

The difference you mean exists nowhere but in the heads of SF'ers, cemented, regrettably, by the hard partitioning wall that SF erects between what it thinks is "CM" or "SW&D". If I wear a Zegna knit over a Marc Jacobs polo shirt to a pair of Tom Ford slacks and Paul Smith leather sneakers, where do I post that? Here in CM? Unlikely, there is no suit, no tie, no oxfords, not even a SC in it, not to mention that it includes non-CM-approved "fashion" brands. But is it gonna get me thumbs over in SW&D from the MA+ and Uma Wang crowd? Probably not either.

Everything we wear is fashion. The suits and SCs people wore in the 40s and 50s, including CM's much-revered style icons Cary Grant and the Duke of Windsor, looked nothing like what you guys post in WAYW today. In fact I don't even have to go that far back. The suits and SCs that Kiton, Zegna and Cucinelli, even though I hate to have his name in the same sentence as the other two, put out 5,10 and 15 years ago didn't look like what they do today. Just take a look at what's available by these brands on Yoox. Why does so much of it look so passé? Because it's the fashion from so many years ago, which is why it's on Yoox to begin with.

Granted, there are ways of staying abreast with the times without going full Hedi-Slimane skinny suit, and some brands do a better job of it than others (the recent re-branding of Brioni under Justin whatshisname is a disaster, he won't even last as long as the Canadian dude before him), but Cucinelli, to come back to the original argument, just looks stuck in time, and not in a good way. Which is even more pitiful considering what a young brand, by Italian standards, he is.

Bottega is a fashion brand in the sense that they adhere to the seasonal runway model and rapidly evolving trends in competition with other "designers" like Prada, Valentino, Balenciaga, et al. Their collections from season to season can see dramatic changes in fabrics, colours, silhouette, trim, etc. The effect of this model is that they will always be alienating some previous customers and attracting new ones. Cucinelli is not "fashion" in the same sense. The designs, fabrics, colours, silhouettes, etc are traditional. Seasonal variations will see minor changes in hue, pattern, trim. Maybe armholes will be cut higher, pant legs trimmer. The subtle variations will cultivate a loyal customer base who appreciate consistency while still remaining "current". You don't seem to grasp that distinction. Your criticism boils down to taste.

Pondering the demise of Italian fashion because Malo looks trad is missing the point of Malo.

Well put.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Malo made a rare appearance of stock sale a couple of weekends ago in NYC. Products ranged from knitwear to pants and outerwear. The styles were a bit outdated, but still classic and the quality exceptional, so was the price even at 70% off of retail. There were so many products but so little sale and I was convinced they'd lower the price more, which unfortunately slipped my mind until I just heard the last day of the sale discount went up to 90% off.

It seems like Yoox 60% off will begin on Dec 8.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could anyone please help me regarding sizing information for the Pal Zileri suits size 46? It is described on yoox as fits large, but how much larger? Anyone has actual measurements? Thanks in advance.

I have PZ IT46 (from yoox) - fits large. Easily a it48. Shoulder is large (18.15) - if i remember it correctly. Beautiful fabric though. I also have a pz in it44 - more of a slim it 36.

Last edited:

UK2004

Reaction score

Malo made a rare appearance of stock sale a couple of weekends ago in NYC. Products ranged from knitwear to pants and outerwear. The styles were a bit outdated, but still classic and the quality exceptional, so was the price even at 70% off of retail. There were so many products but so little sale and I was convinced they'd lower the price more, which unfortunately slipped my mind until I just heard the last day of the sale discount went up to 90% off. 

It seems like Yoox 60% off will begin on Nov 8.

December 8th?

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@UK2004 Dec 8. Thx for catching the mistake. You can remove the content of your post but you need to contact the forum admin to delete an entry.

il_colonnello

Reaction score

[...]You don't seem to grasp that distinction.

You're right, I don't, because it's a fiction. Please don't delude yourself that the Cucinelli or Malo items you buy today are what you will be wearing in 15 years. How many of the supposedly "timeless", "non-fashion" suits and SC that people post in WAYW are 15 years old, do you reckon? I'll go out on a limb and say none.

[...] Your criticism boils down to taste.

Right again! Was my entire point to begin with: Bottega >>> Cucinelli.
Btw I'm amused by your idea that Bottega, for more than 15 years under the same creative director (Tomas Maier) is somehow more prone to "drastic" changes in styling from season to season than Cucinelli.

Anyway I think we've milked this issue for what could be got out of it.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Please don't delude yourself that the Cucinelli or Malo items you buy today are what you will be wearing in 15 years.

While I believe there's a good dose of wisdom in that statement...

How many of the supposedly "timeless", "non-fashion" suits and SC that people post in WAYW are 15 years old, do you reckon? I'll go out on a limb and say none.

...I don't think that is a great example. WAYW posters, even those that consider their post "timeless" or "non-fashion" rarely are; they are posting there almost by definition because what they are wearing now is fashionable now.

But I'm quibbling, I've appreciated your banter and insights. You have given me a number of bits to think about.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, it's a fashion brand; fashion being a synonym for clothes.

No, it's not. http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fashion

Please don't delude yourself that the Cucinelli or Malo items you buy today are what you will be wearing in 15 years.

I never said that I would.

Btw I'm amused by your idea that Bottega, for more than 15 years under the same creative director (Tomas Maier) is somehow more prone to "drastic" changes in styling from season to season than Cucinelli.

One has nothing to do with the other. Your logic is flawed. At least you're consistent in something, I guess.

trum01

Reaction score
No, it's not. http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fashion
I never said that I would.
One has nothing to do with the other. Your logic is flawed. At least you're consistent in something, I guess.

They will give you the promotion price after the fact sometimes or at least tell you when the next promotion is. Just give them a call if you miss it. But it's easier to just buy (and return of need be) during the promotion That is, if you are in America.
wink.gif

I don't think Yoox customer service is this good everywhere - special treatment for the US I believe. In Asia, their customer service is pretty average.

il_colonnello

Reaction score

I'm not even going to look that up, because it's completely irrelevant to this discussion. When you read in the papers something like: "Despite progress in public transport infrastructure, in many rural areas cars are still synonymous with mobility", do you look those terms up in a thesauraus and contest the statement if one doesn't reference the other?

I think that you need to resort to dictionaries to argue your point only illustrates the un-real, almost pathological fear CM'ers have that anything they wear might be fashion. What exactly is so frightful about the notion? Let me reference once more one of CM's shining examples of supposedly "timeless style", the Duke of Windsor. Googling "duke of windsor style", the first result I get has this:

Now, if what this icon of "classic style" is wearing in this picture is not an example of GREAT FASHION, I don't know what is. If you appear in this getup anywhere today, you know what people will be whispering behind your back? "Look at that guy, he's wearing the fashion of the 50s!"

So why does it still look so fantastic? Precisely because it is so fashion-forward (another term CM throws around despicably). In fact one might argue that it is much more fashion-forward than most suit-and-tie outfits you'd get from the average current-season Prada collection. A lot of people in CM don't realise that the best examples of bold fashion stand a much better chance at ageing favourably than the standard (I am choosing my words carefully now) designs of brands like Cucinelli.

Let's take Gucci for example (founded in 1921, a great example of REAL tradition). Something like this (from current season):

will never look dated. Sure, around 2030 it may start to look a bit "vintage Gucci ca. 2015", but in the best possible meaning of "vintage". In sharp contrast to this:

Malo made a rare appearance of stock sale a couple of weekends ago in NYC. Products ranged from knitwear to pants and outerwear. The styles were a bit outdated

...exactly. And I am guessing whatever was on sale there wasn't even from 15+ years ago...

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never wear that Gucci jacket , but I like it exists. I often find myself thinking, I am glad someone is actually wearing this......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads