• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new orleans

skiwebster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
Yeah, I love this city but it makes me sick sometimes.

One other thing: at the risk of starting a huge flame war, I always keep meaning to suggest people boycott Du Monde but can never quite bring myself to do it. One reason is there's no point, because their brand is locked up forever.

Anyway, not sure how long ago but it was bought by an Asian family and they still run it. All the waitresses are Asian, and the only black people who work there are in the back frying beingets or doing dishes. It really bothers me every time I go.

If you can point me to another coffee/beignet place thats open at 4 in the morning, I'll be glad to go there instead. Given the other gross late night options (pizza, lucky dogs, etc.), I've enjoyed too many nights stopping at Du Monde before heading back uptown after a night out.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, not sure how long ago but it was bought by an Asian family and they still run it. All the waitresses are Asian, and the only black people who work there are in the back frying beingets or doing dishes. It really bothers me every time I go.

Funny thing but that's what I remember most about Du Monde. I was like, WTF they have Asians down here too?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My memory of Du Monde involves a disfigured pigeon w/ a pop-eye. SCARY. It would not leave us alone.

Another tip... don't take your hung over friends to central grocery for mufalettas... apparently not everyone can handle a sandwich dripping w/ olive oil at 11am after they got trashed the night before..... but I love it.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wait long enough, Cafe Beignet opens up again. Dunno, I don't have much of a sweet tooth period, and not at all when I'm drank. Pizza/dogs do me just fine. My fave spot would be that Philly steaks place on Bourbon, except I always burn my mouth up something nasty. And somewhere there's this dope pita joint that I found once and have never been able to locate again.

Like I said, it's sort of pointless to try and guilt people or whatever, for the reason already mentioned and b/c you would touch off a huge race war. In other cities that type of arrangment is to be expected; here, it's pretty wack.

And yeah, a muffaletta on a hangover is a little intense; it's like you crave salt and then you get ten times as much as you'd ever want. Luckily, yarfing on Decatur is acceptable pretty much any time of day.

I'll be perfectly honest, a decent guidebook will do you just fine. This is a small city and there are fewer hidden gems than you might expect. If something good is going on, most people know about it. I couldn't help myself and read the 'Real New Orleans' guide in the last Maxim (it's my roommates, I swear to God); they actually got most of it right...

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and the other problem is that most of the real off the radar **** is in places you really don't want to go, day or night. I live here, I have a ghetto pass thanks to my job, and there are still entire sections of the city I hope to never see outside of a quick detour after a wrong turn.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I lived in New Orleans, I was always really disappointed by the late-night, drunk food options. Considering that it's both a drinking and foodie town, there should be better options. I think someone already mentioned it, but the fries at F&Ms were probably the only drunk food that I found acceptable in the city. Beignets are great, but drunk food should not be sweet and come with coffee.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, but the problem is a lot of the best NOLA food is too sloppy/complicated to eat drunk; a roast beef po boy would be an absolute disaster.

Also, a lot of the action in the Quarter comes from tourists, so they want 'normal' **** when they get they drank on.

And I can tell you from experience that seafood, and especially shellfish after a night of drinking is maybe the worst idea of all time.

OH **** I forgot: Krystal at Bourbon/Canal is the joint. I think Arby's may be 24 hours too.

NOLA1

Reaction score
F&Ms alligator sausage quesadilla is pretty badass late night too.

Krystals on Bourbon FTW. Everytime I had buddies in town and was forced to go to Bourbon we would end up there and annihilate mini burgers and mini hotdogs.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, but the problem is a lot of the best NOLA food is too sloppy/complicated to eat drunk; a roast beef po boy would be an absolute disaster.

Also, a lot of the action in the Quarter comes from tourists, so they want 'normal' **** when they get they drank on.

And I can tell you from experience that seafood, and especially shellfish after a night of drinking is maybe the worst idea of all time.

Good points. Seafood is probably the worst possible drunk food, even if fried. And roast beef po' boys, while my favorite kind, are a disaster to eat while sober.

Originally Posted by NOLA1
Krystals on Bourbon FTW.

Good call. Krystals are great drunk food. But you can get those anywhere. I expect more from NOLA.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EPIC FAIL to everyone, including me, for not mentioning Dooky Chase, which in certain quarters (LOL) is considered the best restaurant in town. It's in the hood and if you're white you'll be in the minority there; I've yet to go (that's why I don't proclaim myself a local yet, among other reasons), but I've heard it is about as good as Southern/NOLA food gets.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crap.. in an earlier post I said there were five classics, but I couldn't remember the fifth... that's the one I was missing! But I believe it is Dukey Chase. Dooky does not sound so appetizing
smile.gif
Should have googled first... it is, of course, Dooky. But it still sounds unappetizing.

NOLA1

Reaction score
I used to cook with Leah Chase (owner of Dooky Chase) and I have to say her gumbo is the best i've had.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL whut? Check your pm when I get around to writing you one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads