• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new orleans

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get housed on Sazeracs at Hotel Monteleone. For some reason, every time I do that the room starts spinning...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
I live here. Feel free to PM if you're going south. I'm not as creepy/insane IRL as my SF persona.

Edit: Chartres House isn't that bad, but...

QUOTE=Bona Drag;1904462]I live here. Feel free to PM if you're going south. I'm not as creepy/insane IRL as my SF persona.

Edit: Chartres House isn't that bad, but...[/quote]

thanks, I would, if this wasn't my second honeymoon.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aight. BTW, I know people say you're supposed to avoid chains in places like NOLA, but ime Scores is the best on Bourbon...

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for other people's edification:

Maple Leaf is great, but be aware there's not much else on that block besides Jacquimo's, which is indeed the real deal; looks like a dive but charges as much as white tablecloth joints in the Warehouse District. Worth it. Get some weird bayou food - gator, rabbit, etc.

Anyway, I bring up Maple Leaf to shame everyone in this thread, me included, for not mentioning Rebirth Brass Band, who plays there every Tues night and is the best in world. Stand in the back unless you want your head to ring for 48 hours. Goes from like 10 - 2.

The Marigny is where the real local action is, but it's also a great place to get jacked (sadly, much of the rest of the city is too). The Bywater's even worse. Nice bars, though. As I wrote on sufu, 'hipster' bars here are like parodies of the East Village circa 2004.

IMO Guy's on Magazine is the best po boy in town (get it to go, there's never anywhere to ******* sit in there unless you go at a weird time) and Coops on Decatur has the best jambalaya, but that's like NYers arguing over pizza. It's all gravy (LOL).

K-Paul's is very reasonable for lunch.

If you don't feel like waiting in line for Du Monde, Cafe Beignet is almost as good. It sounds like some cheap ripoff, but it's legit.

Cafe Degas has one of the coolest dining rooms I've ever been in (edit: go on a sunny day); food is nice too. Ridiculous French onion soup.

Landry's up by the lake is well worth the trip (15-20 min); it's one of those New Orleans tourist traps that is actually really, really good. Drink an Old Fashioned on the deck while the sun sets.

Oh yeah, and do a swamp tour. Sounds corny and is super touristy, but is also the most fun you'll have. I just found out they do night ones, which is def at the top of my list.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the crime thing, the other important tidbit to keep in mind is that you will encounter appalling customer service down here. Everyone's friendly, but they suck at their jobs. I have a lot of patience with waiters, etc. but the **** that goes on down here has to be witnessed to be believed. I had my folks in recently and at least three quarters of the places we ate in comped us free stuff because our food took forever.

It's worth it; you have to look hard to find a bad meal down here. It just gets really frustrating at times.

I wish I came up with this myself, but I actually heard it on the radio: what makes NOLA great is that it's one of the few places in America that doesn't revolve around the dollar and the clock. That means a lot of good stuff that keeps you coming back, but also an insane crime rate, clueless bartenders, etc.

dean.lai

Reaction score
I second visiting Cafe Degas. It's a wonderful little bistro. For one of the greatest (albeit pricey) breakfasts you will ever have visit Stanley. The owner/head chef of Stanley also owns a fine dining restaurant up the street called Stella if you're interested in a decadent $80+ meal.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Blue Note might be the Tip's of NY

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I know you're a big history buff- go on a tour of the Antebellum homes. A couple- White Castle and Oak Alley I believe, are worth the cost of admission.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccc123
do it all and more - just be sure to go to Mothers for morning grub!

yeah, I love mother's

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I know you're a big history buff- go on a tour of the Antebellum homes. A couple- White Castle and Oak Alley I believe, are worth the cost of admission.

cool. I might just do that, and maybe a swamp tour

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
The Blue Note might be the Tip's of NY

Haha, plus rep. I will say my only thing with Tip's is it's actually not that old; it's been there like 35 yrs or something, which is cool, but I think there a couple other joints with equivalent vibe. Amazing venue, though.

BTW, re Mother's: breakfast there is the truth, but if the line is insane it may not be worth the wait (unless you bring drinks with you - which you should). You can find arguably better po boys at Guys, Domilise, etc., and Betsy's Pancake House* is a quick cab ride up Canal and nearly as good.

Edit: Nvm, someone beat me to Stanley.

Second edit: And the key to a show at Tip's is to get trashed at Miss Mae's first.

*Oh yeah, and don't ask if Betsy's in, because she was beaten to death during a home invasion last summer. Awful, awful crime and it happened right after I moved here. Welcome to New Orleans! Now give me all your ******* money.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
*Oh yeah, and don't ask if Betsy's in, because she was beaten to death during a home invasion last summer. Awful, awful crime and it happened right after I moved here. Welcome to New Orleans! Now give me all your ******* money.

frown.gif
That's terrible yo

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I love this city but it makes me sick sometimes.

One other thing: at the risk of starting a huge flame war, I always keep meaning to suggest people boycott Du Monde but can never quite bring myself to do it. One reason is there's no point, because their brand is locked up forever.

Anyway, not sure how long ago but it was bought by an Asian family and they still run it. All the waitresses are Asian, and the only black people who work there are in the back frying beingets or doing dishes. It really bothers me every time I go.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameslealton