• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help - Business Casual Style Change

Creatre

Reaction score
Background: Been snooping around for a bit, but really a bit lost on the next step and need help. Basically I want to completely change my style for everyday wear at work, but having a hard time deciding what I need to get. I have an office job where I generally sit around all day. However, I am beginning to be more client facing and that could be increasing soon. Currently I wear a pair of Jos A Bank Khaki's (pleated and cuffed, omg) and I have two pairs of the exact same, blue and light khaki. The light ones are fraying at the bottom and the blue ones are more of a blue/white because of too many washings. They look way too big on me even though they fit, pleat partially causing. I generally wear a pair for a week, then switch to a different color the next week. I switch between polos that don't really fit and button down's that don't really fit. Everything is usually wrinkled as I throw it in the wash, then dry it without caring too much. I'm 5'11" and 140lbs so not a lot fits well out of the box.

The good news: I have a bit of a head start. I currently have two pairs of Allen Edmonds McCallister's (wingtips), one in walnut, one in black. I have shoe trees and have learned how to polish and care for those. I also have a good bit of dress socks that have some stripes and such and look good with the shoes. I have belts to match the shoes. I also have a Hamilton Field Khaki watch with a black dial and black leather band. So I literally just need new clothes for now.

The plan: I'd like to get a good bit of stuff all at once. Some stuff I can mix and match on various weeks without having to get like 15 different outfits.

- Pants: I'd like two or three pairs of pants I can rotate through. I'm thinking two pairs of wool, one pair of khakis. I realize from my research I need flat fronts, with a thinner cut for my build.
- Tops: I have no idea really where to go here. Should I get a handful of polos and a handful of tailored button downs? Some sweaters or something other than just a generic polo or button down? It's fairly warm in my office year round, so I don't want to do too much layering or I'll die of heat. I don't mind dry cleaning or will be focusing on ironing more often if needed.

- Coat: I want one of those cool black coats I always see people wear in the winter in the city? Would like this for going into/out of work and lunches. I have no idea what they are called, but they look thick and are some sort of wool by appearance.
- Suit: I need a new suit to wear for interviews, weddings, etc. My current suit looks like it's built for someone 2 inches taller than me and 50 pounds more than me. I tried it on just the other day to see if I could maybe have it tailored in, but it's not even close. Anyways, I have blue eyes, I was thinking of a navy or maybe even a lighter blue suit, or maybe a grey suit. I'm not really sure what to do here. Should I go to a department store and just get fitted and try some stuff on? Or go to a place like suit supply (there's one nearby)? Or order something online?

The budget: $1250 for everything mentioned above (realize suit may be more than half of that)

Do you guys have any advice on brands, where to look, where to start, where I'm wrong?

Thanks!

Thrifter

Reaction score
You're much better off going slowly. If you spend it all at once there's a very good chance that you will not like most of what you bought in a year or two. My advice is to start off with one shirt and a trial pair of trousers from Luxire and build from there.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go slow is solid advice. But "buy custom" and that link hardly help.

Size information/measurements and a location would help.

The "cool black coat" might refer to an overcoat, but black is not a good choice for that or much other clothing. (The main piece of dressy outerwear usually should be navy or dark gray.)

Last edited:

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One word, Jcrew, for everything but the suit. Go to a store and try some stuff on. They fit slimmer than most and the sales are great. I would skip the polo shirts and go exclusively "button up" you can always roll the sleeves. The bowery pants are also a pretty good deal when on sale. You will need to look at the classic and slim fits to make your choice on which is better for you. I usually go slightly shorter on pant length the slimmer the pant.

For the wool pants, try howard yount. (www.howardyount.com) They are more expensive, but I think the cut is fantastic and you can get some nice, heavier wools. I would avoid lightweight stuff as they are just no as durable.

Do you mean a peacoat? Like this

Hundreds of choices. Look around the forum and find something you like.

Suits are a harder choice. Do you really need one? A nice, well constructed Navy blazer will get you through 85% of modern "formal" events. You can get a much nicer, better fitting blazer at the 500-600 range than a comparable suit.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's 2014. People are still recommending building one's wardrobe largely around a single retailer?

Anyway, reading between the lines, he's probably already too old to wear much J. Crew clothing.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say J. Crew for pants for sure, without a doubt. Possibly the coat too. I'd order shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt because they have some of the slimmest available on a budget and most are non-iron. There are many places to get a suit, and I'm guessing there would be about $500 left in the budget for one, just enough to go somewhere like Suit Supply, which should be a good option for now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads