• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Trip to Auschwitz (Long with lots of pictures)

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are places that everyone should visit in his/her lifetime.

This is one of them.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
real 5 star thread, thanks for the wonderful pictures.

I really hope future generations can learn from all the cruelty that happened in the last century- Auschwitz, Nanking, Cambodia, Serbia......

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for this post. one of the most horrific chapters in what was a terrible century.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for an incredible post.

I will get there before I die.

As a boy, my family lived on the LES in NYC. Often my Dad and I would see people with tattoos of numbers on their arms. Whenever he could, my Dad would take these people to Ratner's on Delancy St. They seemed incredibly grateful to eat a good meal. I didn't understand it well as a 5 year old. I do now.

Here in Houston there is a fantastic community of survivors ( getting smaller each year ) who have established an incredible Holocaust Museum ( which is perhaps the best in the US outside of Washington. ) Story is here!

And here is the homepage of the Holocaust Museum Houston. I go there often.

There aren't many survivors left nationwide and even fewer in Houston of course. There is a Jewish retirement home on Braeswood here in Houston. Here it is. There aren't many survivors there but there are a few. I think of them as national treasures. Many times I'll go there for the high holidays and I always seek them out. Sadly each year there are fewer and fewer.

I've told a lot of stories on SF and they are true. Meeting famous people is cool. Making a lot of money is great. Losing it is not so great but part of life. Young girls are a lot of fun as is gambling and many recreational things.

But spending an afternoon with a survivor of the death camps ( I even taught one to use Email once ) is utterly and absolutely priceless!!!!!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I've told a lot of stories on SF and they are true. Meeting famous people is cool. Making a lot of money is great. Losing it is not so great but part of life. Young girls are a lot of fun as is gambling and many recreational things.

But spending an afternoon with a survivor of the death camps ( I even taught one to use Email once ) is utterly and absolutely priceless!!!!!

You know, rnoldh? You are certifiably bat-**** crazy (in a good way) but that last sentence there is worth the price of admission, man.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow... I am glad to see that so many people have found this thread interesting. It makes the work writing the posts and uploading the pictures worth it.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ben Gurion
Thanks for your time but publishing this pictures is from very bad taste. Shalom Chaver
Excuse me? I post about an intensely personal journey in (what I thought was) a very thoughtful, contemplative way, hoping that others may find it informative or may relate to it in other more personal ways, and I am accused of bad taste?
frown.gif
Based on your name and your avatar, perhaps you have had a personal connection with the events of the last century that we are talking about here. If so, I would surely expect you of all people to agree that the more people of later generations (like myself) get first hand exposure to these sites and museums the better because like it or not, we are the custodians of the memories of these events as the generation that encountered it first hand is fast departing from this world and we are the ones with the responsibility to pass the lessons to the next generation.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
If so, I would surely expect you of all people to agree that the more people of later generations (like myself) get first hand exposure to these sites and museums the better because like it or not, we are the custodians of the memories of these events as the generation that encountered it first hand is fast departing from this world and we are the ones with the responsibility to pass the lessons to the next generation.

Agreed. Personally, from history classes I've taken, not enough time and devotion is given to the Holocaust or other similar events. Perhaps it's due to trying to cram hundreds of years of history into a few hours worth of class time or what not, but I never got a good experience besides glossing over the numbers, dates, etc. When you look at the staggering number of people killed, it becomes more of a statistic than invoking the real meaning of what occurred. As part of our 8th grade trip, we went to Gettysburg, New York, DC and saw all the sites including the Holocaust Museum. Being young and naive shuttled through one museum and monument after another, I don't remember too much of it except for a feeling of disbelief. Disbelief that there could be this much hatred towards others and that these events actually happened. Without people passing along this history and the meaning behind them, it will eventually be forgotten and the lessons gone with it much like other past historic events. This would be a tragedy to those past and for future generations. I know before these pics, I had no clue what Auschwitz looked like. But to see these pics with an understanding of what happened on that soil is an emotional experience much needed. One that should never be forgotten and one in which we all should have more exposure to. If you don't learn from the past then you are doomed to repeat it and this event was something that we all should never forget and which provides a wealth of learning and lessons.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive been to the holocaust museum in israel and one day must go to germany. much of my family died in the war and my grandmother and great aunt were both in aushwitz.

quick90

Reaction score
I was at Auschwitz 3 days before you on oct 14...it was freezing cold and snowing, but it was a great experience...the rooms filled with the shoes, combs, etc really put things into perspective

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Wow... I am glad to see that so many people have found this thread interesting. It makes the work writing the posts and uploading the pictures worth it.

post more if you got more

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a proof of the education of this anti-semitic
boxing[1].gif
Amiezer

me, an anti-semite?
frown.gif
laugh.gif
I am sorry a lot friend. This thread should be deleted in respect for them and that place closed to avoid the themeparking of it.
themepark? you think people go there to get there giggles on? you think that Auschwitz is a damn tourist trap? that we who want to learn and see for ourselves the great tragedy here are going there for so we can be entertained?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thread. Grandfather visited a few of those places during his walking tour of Europe. As a tip-of-the-spear liberator at one prison. His stories are, more or less, just like the Band of Brothers episode (including raiding the local bakery of all its bread to feed the captives). I believe it was Dora Mittelbau http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dora-Mittelbau The larger and more infamous Dachau after it was liberated.
call.me.cover.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads