• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Trip to Auschwitz (Long with lots of pictures)

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Trip There:

I took the night train from Prague to Krakow. The train actually passes through the town of Oswiecim where Auschwitz is located, but it got there at 4:45am, so I preferred to stay in my sleeper until 6:30am when the train reached Krakow, from where I could take a bus to Auschwitz.

I arrived in Krakow on October 17, 2009. At the Krakow railway station, I grabbed a quick breakfast and coffee and headed to the bus station that is located conveniently next to the railway station. The round trip bus ticket to Aushwitz was 20 zloty which was roughly $6 or so if I remember right.

After a comfortable bus trip of about 1.5 hours, we were dropped directly outside the entrance of Auschwitz 1.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Camps: Aushwitz consists of 3camps two of which are preserved as part of the memorial - Auschwitz I and Aushwitz II - Birkenau. Auswitz I was first built in 1940, consisting of 20 buildings. The camp housed between 15,000 and 20,000 prisoners. When the number of prisoners got too large, a second camp Auschwitz II-Birkenau was built about 3 km away at which point Aushwitz was transformed literally into a factory of death, unequalled in horror to anything in history.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz I - The Approach It was a cold and rainy day in Oswiecim, somehow grimly apprropriate. Given the history of the place, a warm sunny day would have felt just wrong. Here is the view of the entrance to the the museum at Aushwitz I. The walkway, the trees and lawn, and the unassuming building in the background hid well the horrors that were awaiting me.
img0034p.jpg

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz I - The Entrance Pictured below is the main gate to the entrance of Auschwitz I. Abvove the gate is the wrought iron inscription that cynically proclaims "Arbeit Macht Frei," which is German for Work brings Freedom. Through these gates would march thousands of prisoners to and from work, which would take more than 12 hours every day. Thousands died from overwork, starvation and abuse - of course the gas chambers accounted for many many more - but that part will have to wait until later in this photo journey.
img0052rr.jpg

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz I - Barbed Wire and Menace A few views of the buildings set among barbed wire at Auschwitz I. The grim malice of the place is palpable even after all these years. The watchtowers are interspersed among the buildings - one can almost imagine an SS guard with a machine gun and searchlight up in there.
img0050ct.jpg
img0037zo.jpg
img0049a.jpg

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz I - The Buildings I went into all the buildings that have exhibits. No photography was allowed indoors, so I didn't take any. The sights inside were unforgettable though. I still get them in my dreams a month later. The most horrific ones are Buildings 4 and 5. Here are outside pictures.
img0039i.jpg
img0038z.jpg
img0040qe.jpg
Building 4 is aptly named "Extermination." Inside is a model of the gas chambers and crematorium, where corpses from the gas chambers were burned as well as displays of the gas canisters that were thrown into the gas chambers. One of the most striking exhibits in this building is a wall sized glass panel behind which there is gigantic mound of hair probably about 20 feet by 10 feet in area - over a thousand pounds worth, that had been shaved off the heads of prisoners and were used to make blankets for the German army. Also on display were huge piles of shoes, suitcases, toothbrushes, pots and pans and other assorted belongings that the prisoners obviously didn't need once they got dispatched in the gas chambers. The exhibit that affected me the most in this building was a large pile of kids shoes and dolls. Kids were dispatched to the gas chambers directly from the trains (more on this later) and if anyone who has kids (as well as those who don't) can stand before this exhibit and not get a lump in your throat, you are not human.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz I - The Assembly Square This is a re-creation of the gallows in the assembly area where prisoners were hanged for petty offences or arbitrary reasons.
img0046j.jpg

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz I - The Courtyard of Death Between Buildings 10 and 11 is present the so-called Courtyard of Death. Here, thousands of prisoners were lined up against an execution wall and shot. Today, flowers and prayer candles have been placed by visitors in front of the wall. It is noteworthy that the windows of buildings 10 and 11 on either side of the courtyard were sealed shut with wooden blinds to prevent the screams of the victims to be heard by the inmates of those buildings.
img0045wj.jpg
img0041tu.jpg
img0043m.jpg
img0044g.jpg
The cellars of building 11 contais numerous rooms where prisoners were tortured and often summarily executed.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz I - The gallows of Rudolf Hoess Here is where Rudolf Hoess, the commandant of Auschwitz was hanged for crimes against humanity.
img0047t.jpg
Right next to the gallows is Crematorium 1 and the gas chamber on Auschwitz 1. No photos were allowed here, so I didn't take any. It was a chilling feeling though standing 2 feet from the crematorium. Words cannot describe it.

The_Jar

Reaction score
thank you for sharing this. before i die, i'd like to visit this place for personal reasons

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz II/Birkenau - The Entrance Auschwitz II is located about 3 km from Auschwitz I. While Auschwitz I was a model of concentrated horror, Auschwitz II made it pale in comparison. The scale of the place and the size is unbelievable. Auschwitz II was an extermination camp first and foremost. There is a shuttle bus that takes visitors from Auschwitz I to Auschwitz II-Birkenau. Several people come to Auschwitz I and don't make the trip to Auschwitz II. This is a big mistake. To get a true picture of the scale of the exermination camp, one MUST travel to Auschwitz II. If anyone reading this makes the trip to Auschwitz, make sure you go to Auschwitz II as well. Here is a view of the entrance to Auschwitz II-Birkenau, taken from the inside. Train tracks enabled thousands of Jews and others to be brought in from all over Europe with chilling efficiency.
img0072lm.jpg
Note the same view of the entrance building from this vidcap from Schindler's list. This is from the scene where the train carrying Schindler's female workers gets routed to Auschwitz by mistake instead of his factory.
vlcsnap8196.png
Note the guard tower with the searchlight on top of the entrance building. I took this panoramic view of Auschwitz II from this guard tower. The camp is HUGE. It took me over an hour to just walk all the way around it.
auschwitzbw.jpg

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz II - The Unloading Platform This is a picture of the guard tower next to the location where the trains would stop and the prisoners would be unloaded. The camp doctors would then separate the able bodied men who would be sent to work, from the women, children, old and invalid, who would be sent directly to the gas chambers. Also, one of the cattle cars that brought thousands to their doom can be seen.
img0069iy.jpg
img0071qh.jpg
Here is a vidcap from Schindler's list showing the same unloading location.
vlcsnap112908.png

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz II - The Barracks Pictures of the barracks where prisoners stayed while they could still work. Gradually through malnutrition, cold and disease, they all succumbed either directly, or were dispatched to the gas chambers when they couldn't work. Buildings that were designed to hold 50 horses housed 1000 prisoners. The 2nd picture shows the sleeping bunks. There were 8 prisoners to a bunk.
img0074jn.jpg
img0073ml.jpg

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz II - The End of the Line After coming through the main entrance, the train tracks went all the way until they got to the crematoria, the ruins of which can be seen in the background.
img0067o.jpg
Here is a view of where the train tracks end. Far in the background, the entrance building can be barely seen. That gives an idea of the size of the camp. This was the end of the line, both literally and figuratively for many people on the trains. The tracks ended right next to Crematoria 2 and 3.
img0063t.jpg
The ruins of the crematoria can be seen in the background.
img0064ye.jpg

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auschwitz II - The Gas Chambers The gate marking the entrance to the gas chambers and crematoria.
img0065c.jpg
The Nazis destroyed the crematoria when they were retreating from the Soviety Army to try to hide their crimes. Only the ruins remain.
img0055d.jpg
img0058cm.jpg
img0059zc.jpg
img0066nn.jpg
This picture above shows how the gas chambers were built underground. Steps led down into the gas chambers as seen in the vidcap from Schindler's list below.
vlcsnap12125.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads