• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Museum Calf Appreciation Thread

TGuns

Reaction score
Forgot to post my new Enzo's on here:

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Heh Ding Xin

Reaction score
I think it happened to his kent wang clayton (single monk). Anyone has the same problem? I just ordered a pair of kent wang clayton :(

LS7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone else use renovateur on their shoes and had mottling effect removed? Really sad stuff.

Renovateur does indeed remove a little of the finish from any leather, not just museum. This should be apparent when you buff the shoes with a cotton cloth after allowing the Reno to dry; afterwards the cloth will have patches of the leather finish (dye?) at the area where you buffed. You should see the same effect with Saphir Medaille D'Or cream, but much less pronounced (the colour patch on the buffing cloth is faint in comparison).

This is why Reno should be used sparingly IMO - once or twice a year max. See the pics posted in this thread by me a few months back - http://www.styleforum.net/t/383441/museum-calf-appreciation-thread/105#post_7083123. Over 5 years these have had Reno applied on maybe 4 or 5 occasions, and as you can see the mottling is very much intact. I would expect this to be the case since the museum finish is supposedly applied throughout the leather, not just on the surface (pretty sure I read here on the forum that's how Ilcea used to tan these hides, pre-bankruptcy anyway).

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it happened to his kent wang clayton (single monk). Anyone has the same problem? I just ordered a pair of kent wang clayton :(

This.

Thanks for the responses guys, I used the shoes for 6 months before shining them. I had to use a cleaner unfortunately because someone bumped into me the other day and I spilled orange juice on it. I think the mottling effect wasn't that much on the KW shoes and they added an additional finish on top of it which is what came off afterwards. I don't think there's any helping it really... Can't clean the shoes without removing finish. However, I was under the impression than museum calf had its dye done at an earlier stage so this wouldn't happen as opposed to crust calf.

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, but not with Renovateur. Reno is for removing excess polish.

If you want to moisturize with no coloring effect use neutral polish.

...I do hate to brake the party, but Renomat is the muck-removal product while Renovateur is the deep-moisturising one. The latter will not remove wax buildups and such.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads