• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Porter

DrFaustus

Reaction score
I had a very poor experience with Mr Porter on my last order. I purchased two full price sweaters. A couple of days after ordering, I found the exact same sweaters on a different site for $190 (!) less than Mr Porter. My sizes were in stock. I emailed them FOUR times requesting a price match before receiving a response back saying:

"The prices displayed on MR PORTER remain competitive at
all times, however on occasion an item may be priced higher
or lower than those of our competitors.

Although we are unable to amend any of the amounts listed
on the website, we have noted your comments.

Please let us know if we can assist you further by replying to this
email, or calling us at +1 877 5353 677."

No mention of the lack of response. And how competitive is a difference of $190.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a very poor experience with Mr Porter on my last order. I purchased two full price sweaters. A couple of days after ordering, I found the exact same sweaters on a different site for $190 (!) less than Mr Porter. My sizes were in stock. I emailed them FOUR times requesting a price match before receiving a response back saying:
No mention of the lack of response. And how competitive is a difference of $190.

Well then return the sweaters to Mr. Porter and buy from that other site. No store matches online prices except for Fry's electronics and it takes days for them to match it. I don't see how this is bad service / experience.

DrFaustus

Reaction score

Well then return the sweaters to Mr. Porter and buy from that other site. No store matches online prices except for Fry's electronics and it takes days for them to match it. I don't see how this is bad service / experience.

I will. The lack of response and unwillingness to maintain the sale is annoying and disappointing.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will. The lack of response and unwillingness to maintain the sale is annoying and disappointing.

You bought them full price and Mr. Porter didn't have theirs on sale. Why are they obligated to match prices?

DrFaustus

Reaction score

You bought them full price and Mr. Porter didn't have theirs on sale. Why are they obligated to match prices?

They are not on sale at the other site. My gripe is the grossly exaggerated price on Mr Porter. I understand they ship for free and have over-the-top packaging, and that costs $$. However, in efforts to keep a previous customer happy, you think they would send the credit my way. It is not a frivolous price match request at a difference of $190.

I appreciate your input, but I am just expressing my thoughts. I realize they are under no obligation to match the prices. I didn't feel as if I were treated with the high end service they intend to convey. Not answering 3 emails is very unprofessional.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
I suppose whilst they are not obligated too, in the interests of good customer service, PR or just as a clear message that they value their customers - they could have responded quicker & with a more sincere response.

Dizzle77

Reaction score
So far I have only bought one item from Mr Porter. I ordered a Herringbone blazer over the xmas period, which was half price on their site.

A few days later I received an email saying they apologised for the delay in shipping the blazer and as a way of compensating for this delay they credited my account with ยฃ25. I wasn't in a hurry to receive the item anyway, but the fact they credited me was a great gesture.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$190 each sweater? are you sure the other site is legitimate? And you are for sure they are the exact same sweater?
links?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are not on sale at the other site. My gripe is the grossly exaggerated price on Mr Porter. I understand they ship for free and have over-the-top packaging, and that costs $$. However, in efforts to keep a previous customer happy, you think they would send the credit my way. It is not a frivolous price match request at a difference of $190.
I appreciate your input, but I am just expressing my thoughts. I realize they are under no obligation to match the prices. I didn't feel as if I were treated with the high end service they intend to convey. Not answering 3 emails is very unprofessional.

So why are you angry at Mr Porter? Because YOU didn't do your research?

Suck it up mate.

RydrJ

Reaction score
Long-time lurker and first time poster - I actually got my Allen Edmond shoes and Makr wallet based off the great reviews at these forums.

I was curious about Mr. Porter - how often do sales come up? I live in NYC so curious too if it may be better to go to Barney's etc for sales items versus this place. I tried looking at stuff on Porter and all the medium/small and 32/32 jeans are gone!

Harbin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just be quiet lol

Vates

Reaction score
Stop flaming him, he is absolutely right. Mr porter does many things right, but they are way expansive.
I hope you sent back the sweaters and bought them off the other website : it's the only sensible to do. Let them SUCK IT UP. They don't want to be competitive, it's their loss. In my opinion they try to compete with "fancy" stores (think Saks, barney's) but they don't realize that it is Luisaviaroma which is the king of upper scale e-retailling, and for good reasons. It's a different shopping experience.
They will never compete with brick and mortar stores, no matter how hard they try : you can't try things on, you cannot touch the material... In the end, the strength of online shopping revolve around prices and availability (sizes etc...)
Mr porter has no interest in that, they want to be luxurious and exclusive. Have a laugh and let them to their business model. Who cares about editorial content when you can have a better deal ? Use their website for measurements, ideas and details and buy somewhere else.

... Maybe they think they can become the next J.Crew :crackup:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads