• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to New York - Need help

gilwood

Reaction score
I'm interviewing for a spot in the upper east side (Around 70th st and 2nd ave). I've never lived in NY before and I'm seriously considering the idea. I have a lot of questions:

1) I heard that NY is ridiculously expensive, but I see a lot of craigslist ads for 2 bedrooms for around $2k/mo in the upper east side. Is that real or is there some sort of scam here?

2) A lot of ads say "Great Share". Does that mean I'd be sharing the apartment with someone?

3) How far in advance should I be looking for places? My current lease is up Dec 31st. I already gave notice.

4) Does anyone garage their car outside of Manhattan where it's cheaper? Say in LIC or NJ?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would NOT move to the U.E.S. move around my way Soha ( southern harlem) or someother place that you can metro it and make transfers easy.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, share means you are sharing with other people.

The 2000 2bdrm Might be something on the southern edge of harlem - and it is a very scary neighborhood (near spanish harlem).

thenickelfit

Reaction score
SpaHa (Spanish Harlem) generally starts at E96th street. It's a bit rougher than the West Side due to Columbia.

If you're a careful dude, you'll be more than okay. If you have a GF from the Midwest, then maybe rethink about heading further south, which will be pricier. If you head further East (York Ave.) you save quite a bit, but understand that it's far from the subway and rest of the city (but who cares if work is on 2nd Ave, which already has its own bar/restaurant scene).

Regarding parking, I've seen prices TREMENDOUSLY DROP due to the recession. I use www dot bestparking dot com (unaffiliated). G'luck man.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
I would NOT move to the U.E.S. move around my way Soha ( southern harlem) or someother place that you can metro it and make transfers easy.

Why is it that you know made up neighborhood names invented by real estate brokers but you don't know the real name of the street on which you live?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are lots of scams on Craigslist, so you should be careful. If you want no fee rentals, you should check nybits.com and streeteasy.com (search under rentals).

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not, under any circumstances, fill out a credit app from a craigslist ad, period. They're 100% scam. (Most of those ads have unbelievable prices for apartments).

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Do not, under any circumstances, fill out a credit app from a craigslist ad, period. They're 100% scam. (Most of those ads have unbelievable prices for apartments).
I'm not sure I would be this paranoid, but a huge percentage of the listings on Craigslist are fake and just an effort to get you into the door at a boiler room like real estate company.

If you are worried about the cost then you can look into the burrows. I live in LIC, which I like, but I am practically married. I would not move here as a single man. Brooklyn has a lot more charm, but I am still not sure I would want to be single there, although it may depend on your type.

Lots of people will have advice on which part of manhattan you should live in. I am not sure it matters much, except that getting from the east side to the west side can be a pain, so keep that in mind. Also Upper East and Murray Hill are a bit cheaper than other areas, but some people do not care for the type of people who live there.

jc138

Reaction score
"3) How far in advance should I be looking for places? My current lease is up Dec 31st. I already gave notice."

The problem with NYC apartment rentals is that you have to move quickly. If you start looking now you would have to take the place immediately and pay rent on both.

MHH89

Reaction score
Congrats on the move

1. Those prices are in line with the UES however you don't want to be living on 1st ave or york, as it is a long trek to the subways.

2. "Great share" usually means that you would be sharing an apartment with someone else. However, it might mean that the apartment would be a great share for two roommates.

3. Right now it is a renters market in NYC so if you start looking around sometime before thanksgiving, you should be all set.

4. I keep my car in Hoboken and used to pay half of what it costs to park in NYC. I would think that I still save on parking.

If you have any other questions, send me a pm.

uwsmuseumguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood
I'm interviewing for a spot in the upper east side (Around 70th st and 2nd ave). I've never lived in NY before and I'm seriously considering the idea. I have a lot of questions:

1) I heard that NY is ridiculously expensive, but I see a lot of craigslist ads for 2 bedrooms for around $2k/mo in the upper east side. Is that real or is there some sort of scam here?

2) A lot of ads say "Great Share". Does that mean I'd be sharing the apartment with someone?

3) How far in advance should I be looking for places? My current lease is up Dec 31st. I already gave notice.

4) Does anyone garage their car outside of Manhattan where it's cheaper? Say in LIC or NJ?

1)it's getting cheaper, but it's doable if you choose and manage your indulgences/resources ratio wisely. if you want to party like a rockstar, make sure you've got a cheap place.

2)depends, could mean the layout of the place is a good share setup or you'd actually be rooming with someone else.

3)15-20 days.

4)unless you'll be using the car every single weekend for lengthy trips or are upside down on it, ditch the car. sounds like you'll be living/working in close proximity, so you won't need it during the week.

as to neighborhoods, you should really consider what you're looking for in a 'hood before soliciting suggestions or give a bit more of what you're looking for. Harlem's great if you want space, low prices, and easy transit access not so much if you don't like brown people. UWS is great if you like plentiful grub, Fairway, and vegetation. not so much if you're anti kids, dogs, and the elderly. you get my drift.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gilwood

1) A 2BR for $2K in the UES is either a scam or it's in Spanish Harlem (some people call Spanish Harlem the UES in their Craigslist ads). Even 2BR places on York go for more than that.

2) People above have pretty much answered this. Just read the ad, they'll mention if they're looking for someone to take an empty room.

3) No more than 1 month, usually 2-3 weeks out. However, it doesn't hurt to continually check. I found my place and had a deposit down about 2.5 months out.

4) I don't have a car - that's part of the reason I moved to NYC! There really aren't many reasons why you'd want to have a car in the city to drive around the city. If you're driving out of the city you have to remember that you're going to be paying a toll to get back in, which combined with the cost of parking, may be a big deterrent to keeping it in the city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads