• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flip ups are heavy. Why not just tuck it inside your jacket along your ribs? JR has a few models with a specific sleeve for this.

Buddy of mine has one. Problem is Joe Rocket makes fugly jackets

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I decided to order the clear. I do a lot of night riding and wouldn't want to swap visors, since I can be forgetful and am usually running a little late.

Dunno why you wouldn't of gone for the photochromic shield then.

emptym

Reaction score
I don't think Arai makes a photochromic shield, do they? They do make an insert though. I thought of getting that, but I'll be replacing my helmet in a year and the extra expense didn't seem worth it.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a photochromic shield is the one thing I miss with my current Schuberth. I thought about getting an e-tint one which would be the perfect solution, but I have heard they have terrible quality issues where the dimming feature fails on certain crystals causing weird patchiness.

I use a light 50% tint which is sort of best/worst of all worlds situation. Works okay at night and okay during the day. If it is too dark and I am not going fast, I'll just flip the lid up to see, but I fully admit I don't do a lot of nighttime riding.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ooooo a photochromic shield would be the ****. Def gonna get a Bell helmet for their shield next go round. My tinted shield is a big part of why I don't ride at night.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

emptym

Reaction score
Did someone say something?

Actually, I strangely didn't see your post. But ya, as I mentioned, since my helmet's over 4 yrs old, I'll be replacing it w/in a year and I couldn't justify $100 for a shield + insert. I may also give up riding soon. Having a daughter makes me much more concerned about death than I'd ever been.

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just attempting to be self deprecating.

They are indeed expensive.

I wear eye-glasses when I ride since I refuse to wear contacts ever, so having a photochromatic shield is a Godsend.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's winter time.  Anyone building anything cool in their garages?  Or should I take that to the HAMB?

I'll play

I have been playing around with a '77 Honda CJ360 this winter. Trying to go super minimal with the build. It's kickstart only (from factory). I want it to be narrow and light; like a BMX bike with 40hp!

I've fully rebuilt the engine with full seals and gaskets. New piston rings. Lapped valves and seats. I've re-laced the wheels with new spokes.A
During mock-up. removed unwanted crap (tabs, mounts etc) form frame that will no longer be needed. Added (welded on) a rear hoop to clean up the back end.

Rebuilt engine in re-painted frame. Bonus Nina Agdal in the background. :slayer:

Re-laced wheels

Currently waiting on new rubber and she'll be a rolling chassis again.
I'll be attempting a full wiring harness from scratch with this build as thee are no decent aftermarket

Aaaand a project from a few years ago, patiently waiting for spring

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads