• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm good. I was just highlighting that when my buddy was looking for his first, he was limited to a) vintage Honda CBs on Craigslist that are going for stupid prices b) entry-level sport bikes and c) cheap cruisers. Even the used dual sports are pricey here.

For someone looking for a relatively low-powered naked standard as their first bike, the choices here are few and far between.

But I think that is a classic mistake when looking at these bikes. If you are just starting out and looking for a starter bike, you most likely aren't going to keep it that long - maybe a year or two. In which case the high price is just a cash flow issue. You buy at the high price and a year later you sell at a high price, so the TCO isn't all that terrible.

The thing is, there is always high demand for entry-level bikes. Here in Cali, 8 year old Ninja 250s sell for what I think are obscenely high amounts. But they are very low risk since you can always turn around and sell them - often for the same amount of cash.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But I think that is a classic mistake when looking at these bikes. If you are just starting out and looking for a starter bike, you most likely aren't going to keep it that long - maybe a year or two. In which case the high price is just a cash flow issue. You buy at the high price and a year later you sell at a high price, so the TCO isn't all that terrible.

The thing is, there is always high demand for entry-level bikes. Here in Cali, 8 year old Ninja 250s sell for what I think are obscenely high amounts. But they are very low risk since you can always turn around and sell them - often for the same amount of cash.

No doubt. Not disputing that at all.

Probably is that my buddy has no interest whatsoever in riding a sportbike. So even pitching the Ninja or CBR250 to him as a beginner bike was a non starter.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RC390 will be tons of fun. SV is a fantastic all-around bike, but you seem to be looking for more of a certain je ne sais quoi....

I just came across these, btw. Grenson x Edwin moto boots. http://shop.edwin-europe.com/collections/collaborations/products/edwin-blitz-boot-by-grenson-brown

edwin-grenson-blitz-boot-brown_grande.jpg

Pretty slick eh?

C'mon @TRINI .. Take a peek

Looking at these, they aren't CE rated. So basically they are boot with an extra leather pad sewn on. And for that, they are probably overpriced.

Rev'it makes some non-motorcycle-looking boots that are actually real motorcycle boots: http://www.revitusa.com/en-us/#/products/FBR019

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're clearly not riding boots. More, a gentleman's boot for the man who rides. And I certainly like that style of boot.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're clearly not riding boots. More, a gentleman's boot for the man who rides. And I certainly like that style of boot.

I suppose. While I am not ATGATT. I favor doing proper gloves and boots due to all the small bones that are a mess to put back together.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really a New Year's resolution per se but I plan to stop spending money on gear I don't need.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this talk, and not one mention of what is arguably the best beginner city bike currently on the market for those cafe racer inclined? suzuki tu250x, buy one used for ~3 grand, sell it for the same price a year later. Looks fantastic, handles well, extremely reliable. and more than enough pep to get your around the city safely and efficiently

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All this talk, and not one mention of what is arguably the best beginner city bike currently on the market for those cafe racer inclined? suzuki tu250x, buy one used for ~3 grand, sell it for the same price a year later. Looks fantastic, handles well, extremely reliable. and more than enough pep to get your around the city safely and efficiently

Holy **** you're alive.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I totally forgot you ended up with one of those (and that they existed)

@GreenFrog: The TU-250x might be a great bike for you. Like the 300, I wrote them off due to my size, but it would probably work well for you.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holy **** you're alive.

Right!!! So you decided against that bike that needed valves adjusted every 50 miles and made 12 hp. *insert collective sigh of relief* Any pics of your ride?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now I am less sure about my standard-ninja-300 idea.

The suzuki had completely slipped my mind...I see them around (used to be one down the street from me), but do they qualify as a huge success?

Maybe having kawasaki behind it and using the 300 platform would step it up a bit...the 300 is simply a lot more bike than the tu250x (I even see threads out there from people who bought 300s as their second bike after learning on the tu250x). ABS, slipper clutch, rear disc, lots of parts and mods...things that make it a bike that might outlast the beginner phase even on open roads.

But still, the TU they had at my MSF course was a pretty sweet little ride. Again, I would have considered it if I were smaller (and had been looking to spend a bit more money)
Simple engine--if you want to learn how to do some basic maintenance...I gotta imagine this thing is 10x easier than a ninja300. No body panels to remove, single cylinder, adjustment screws on the valves (instead of having to use shims), etc.

If GF wants to learn a bit about maintenance but start with a newer bike that is reliable (and can have work done in a shop), I suspect the tu250x would be pretty dang slick.

Last edited:

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TU250X is good money if you are OK with getting your culo blasted at stoplights by Camrys

I wish I was kidding!!! 12 seconds to 60. Good for learning and good in the city too. Old school look without the old school hassles. But I get stressed out thinking about riding one anywhere near a highway.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TU250X is good money if you are OK with getting your culo blasted at stoplights by Camrys

I wish I was kidding!!! 12 seconds to 60. Good for learning and good in the city too. Old school look without the old school hassles. But I get stressed out thinking about riding one anywhere near a highway.

You could change out the sprocket for different gearing and it makes a touch quicker.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodriked