• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Street Triple or Speed Triple? I wouldn't mind taking both for a spin, but I hear the Street is missing the midrange power.

Pardon my ignorance but what's the key defining characteristic that distinguishes one from the other?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pardon my ignorance but what's the key defining characteristic that distinguishes one from the other?

Displacement.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Street Triple or Speed Triple? I wouldn't mind taking both for a spin, but I hear the Street is missing the midrange power.

It's all a matter of perspective. If you are used to riding 600 i-4's, the street will have a very strong midrange. If you are coming from 750 or larger twins, it will feel wanting

Quote:

In terms of appearance? Single sided swingarm on the speed. In terms of rideability? The street is a naked Daytona 675 and feels/rides like a sportbike while the big brother is softer, more laidback and cushy.

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm all about the Street. I got into riding in my late 20s, so I never got wrapped up in that whole "gotta have a liter bike" mentality. I just don't give a ****. Give me something with great handling and a comfortable ride that I can wring the hell out of while staying inside my skill level. If I ever do buy something sporty over 1000cc, I'm going straight to an S1000RR or maybe an MV. The speed is what, a 1050cc? Frankly, I'm nowhere near the skill level to justify that.

Didn't someone wise say it's way harder to be an old rider than a big-bike rider?
teacha.gif

A stroked 3 cylinder 675 with decent low end torque and a smooth-as-butter power curve sounds perfect to me. It's 100lbs lighter than the Speed with a slightly smaller profile, so it can be the hot knife that cuts through the butter of Boston traffic. I guess with the smaller engine it will be a bit more revvy than the Speed, but that just makes it all the more fun to wring out that power. Higher peak revs mean less low-speed jumpiness. And at this stage in my riding, I don't really need more than 105bhp (which you can boost by around 20hp with mods and a new fuel map if you want).

Maybe it's not the prettiest naked bike on the market. But that's really the only downside I can see. Other than that, I'm pretty sure that - if you get the R version with Ohlins and Brembos, an Arrow 3:1 exhaust, a new fuel map, frame sliders and a fly screen - it's pretty much the perfect all-around naked bike.

If the looks bug me too much, maybe I'll paint it orange. ::shrug::

Last edited:

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IDK I def won't turn torque away if it doesn't affect the handling.

Even if it does... meh... I would 2-up the **** out of something like a Bandit 1200. Stump puller

The Street has been repeatedly regarded as one of the best... street... bikes of all time though; Speed not so much. So there's that too....

Can't go wrong either way I guess.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd retrofit the old round lights and take off those angular monstrosities. It is supposed to be an easy swap

brokencycle

Reaction score
I hear you guys on the Street. I'd love to try both. I love my Buell Lightning CityX. I like street bikes better than sport bikes. One of the things I don't like about either the Speed or Street is the seemingly super-high exhaust, but I guess you can always get an aftermarket.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Call me a snob, but I don't think I'll ever buy another Japanese (or Asian in general) vehicle.

My eventual goal is to have all European vehicles as well, but my Z & 650 are pretty good for Japanese whips. Definitely like my Z more than wifey's Rabbit

If the Japanese could make cars/bikes that were as good looking and characterful as the Europeans it would kind of be a no brainer. I'm sad Honda dumped its V-engined street bikes for example.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japanese are more reliable and the best bang for the buck when it comes to performance but not very trend setting as far as styling i concerned. Their designers tend to stick with what is safe

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My eventual goal is to have all European vehicles as well, but my Z & 650 are pretty good for Japanese whips. Definitely like my Z more than wifey's Rabbit

If the Japanese could make cars/bikes that were as good looking and characterful as the Europeans it would kind of be a no brainer. I'm sad Honda dumped its V-engined street bikes for example.

Other than 3 series BMWs I have no real preference. I love Porsche 911s and I love Corvettes but I also have a thing for the 3rd gen. RX-7 and old Toyota Land Cruisers. Same with bikes. Italian, British, Japanese, Austrian, German: just like my ex girlfriends, they are all good with me. Variety is the spice of life

Triumphs are nice and I would buy a 2010 Speed Triple because that ***** is finer than frogs hair.

122_1008_28_o%2B2010_triumph_speed_triple%2Bright_side_view.jpg

sidenote: I stumbled over a spyshot of 2014 Ducati Monster. Looks like they are going back to water cooled and using a multistrada based 1198cc engine (the one with less maintenance) in it. And the single sided swingarm stays. Nice but I stilll prefer the streetfighter's styling

Ducati-Monster-Spy-Shot_007.jpg

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if I got this link from here, but all this Triumph Street talk...

drool.gif

I don't get the twin headlight thing at all; totally ugly to me, especially compared to just a proper single headlamp.
crazy.gif

The ZRX1100 has always appealed to me. They look incredible, but probably way too much motor there for me to handle:

That chrome tear-drop gauge backer is something I need to look in to...

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than 3 series BMWs I have no real preference. I love Porsche 911s and I love Corvettes but I also have a thing for the 3rd gen. RX-7 and old Toyota Land Cruisers. Same with bikes. Italian, British, Japanese, Austrian, German: just like my ex girlfriends, they are all good with me. Variety is the spice of life

Triumphs are nice and I would buy a 2010 Speed Triple because that ***** is finer than frogs hair.

122_1008_28_o%2B2010_triumph_speed_triple%2Bright_side_view.jpg

That's the orange. ::sigh:: Yeah, the Speed is a beast but I tell ya, the low slung exhaust is growing on me in Triumph's newer models: lower center of gravity, lighter and less ass heat.

But yeah, Japanese vehicles are all about efficiency while European vehicles have, well ... aplomb. After a few years in a Honda followed by a few years in an Audi I can pretty much say that absolutely everything is better about German engineering -- the power, the handling, the lack of road noise, the materials used to construct everything, the contours, the technology, the subtly hidden comfort features... -- everything except one little detail: upkeep. You've got to do regularly scheduled maintenance, you've got to spring for the high-grade fluids and you can't leave any electrical gremlin alone long enough to go looking for friends. So yeah, you spend more on European vehicles and they're not going to be as efficient. But people who own these things are not driven by motives of cost effectiveness. For me, its about falling in love with a machine that was engineered specifically to bring someone pleasure - a machine that I can't imagine being done much better - and then customizing it so it's truly my own. It's like discovering 13.5oz raw White Oak cone milled denim after years of thinking Lucky Brand makes good jeans. There's just no going back.

Trini knows what I'm talkin' about.

Life's too short, gentlemen. Too short.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score

That's the orange. ::sigh:: Yeah, the Speed is a beast but I tell ya, the low slung exhaust is growing on me in Triumph's newer models: lower center of gravity, lighter and less ass heat.

But yeah, Japanese vehicles are all about efficiency while European vehicles have, well ... aplomb. After a few years in a Honda followed by a few years in an Audi I can pretty much say that absolutely everything is better about German engineering -- the power, the handling, the lack of road noise, the materials used to construct everything, the contours, the technology, the subtly hidden comfort features... -- everything except one little detail: upkeep. You've got to do regularly scheduled maintenance, you've got to spring for the high-grade fluids and you can't leave any electrical gremlin alone long enough to go looking for friends. So yeah, you spend more on European vehicles and they're not going to be as efficient. But people who own these things are not driven by motives of cost effectiveness. For me, its about falling in love with a machine that was engineered specifically to bring someone pleasure - a machine that I can't imagine being done much better - and then customizing it so it's truly my own. It's like discovering 13.5oz raw White Oak cone milled denim after years of thinking Lucky Brand makes good jeans. There's just no going back.

Trini knows what I'm talkin' about.

Life's too short, gentlemen. Too short.

The low exhaust is one of the reasons I love the Buell (that and I like the belt drive for the low maintenance - I rather ride than being doing maintenance). As for the cars, I hear you. I bought a VW a year ago, and it has seems like it always has some electrical gremlin, but when I close the door and drive and don't have to hear a damn thing outside the car, it is just bliss.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads