• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would rather own any of these over anything comparable from Germany: Miata, RX-7, BRZ/FRS, MR2, NSX, ITR, S2k.

The materials quality isn't up to snuff, but the ergonomics are dialed in many of those cars, which is much more important IMO.

Hell, the 1st gen Insight blows my mind. Aluminum chassis and body in an economy car? Are you kidding me? That thing is an amazing engineering feat given the price of the vehicle and its performance.

The Japanese and Americans file more automotive patents than Germany.

If anything, Mclaren is the pinnacle, to me.

I have never been enamored with the Audi's and BMW's I've driven. Porsche is a different story, but their interior quality is lacking. Audi and Mercedes interiors are top rate, but you certainly pay for it.

Anything much more than 3,000 lbs has too much lag in the transient dynamics IMO.

I have no idea what all this translates to in production motorcycles. Ducati wins a lot of manufacturers Championships, but Italians and Germans do so in F1, too; doesn't necessarily translate to the best production road vehicle.

lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif

Last edited:

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After doing lots of reading and research, and despite the negativity in this thread, put a deposit on a Cyclewerks Misfit, should be getting it early November.

Going to be my first bike, just completed the MSF course in NY and got my license.

I'll let it be known, a big reason why I chose the bike is because i'm going to be on my fathers insurance, and he wanted me to have a new bike....that and he's putting in $1,200 for it. I'm essentially only paying 2 grand for it.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After doing lots of reading and research, and despite the negativity in this thread, put a deposit on a Cyclewerks Misfit, should be getting it early November.

Going to be my first bike, just completed the MSF course in NY and got my license.

I'll let it be known, a big reason why I chose the bike is because i'm going to be on my fathers insurance, and he wanted me to have a new bike....that and he's putting in $1,200 for it. I'm essentially only paying 2 grand for it.

Nice

Buy 2 helmets, you are going to crush so much punani

Just get a couple thousand miles down first... learning in NYC is ******* brutal.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hell, the 1st gen Insight blows my mind. Aluminum chassis and body in an economy car? Are you kidding me? That thing is an amazing engineering feat given the price of the vehicle and its performance.

Yeah the Insight was a marvel of engineering. But as a drivable automobile it was.... eh. Sure did love seeing how many MPG it got going down a hill though! People who try to save the world by driving this or that are lame. It's like "oh you drive a Prius? Do you know the heinous chemicals that go into the engine give it a higher carbon footprint than a Ford F-150 until you've driven it more than 100,000 miles?"

And yeah. Mclaren is ****. While we're at it, let's compare Ford to Saleen...

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good for you buddy. Just start getting miles under your belt. And for chrissake wear full gear for as long as you can bear it.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of the current Japanese bikes has any character or soul...well other than the VMax and that isn't my kind of bike. Now some older bikes from the 80s and the 70s have character but nothing in the past 10 years has any. Souless efficient machines. The last Japanese sportbike with soul was the RC51 IMHO and they stopped making that in 04 or 05.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Any Harley guys here? I was at the dealership to try some of their bikes.

All the Dyna's too tall for me my legs can hardly touch the ground. The sportster Forty eight with 1200 engine fit me very well and cost about 10k. Also they have a Softtail Slim. Really perfect but that thing is about 17k holy **** I don't want to spend that much.

So right now my only options are Sportster or Softail used. As I will ride it going to school sometimes, a Softail would be "too much" for me? I'm 5'8'' and pretty young.

A friend of mine has a V rod that thing is fast as ****.

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who try to save the world by driving this or that are lame.

I wanted one just so it wouldnt rust away in Michigan like everything else
lol8[1].gif

None of the current Japanese bikes has any character or soul...well other than the VMax and that isn't my kind of bike. Now some older bikes from the 80s and the 70s have character but nothing in the past 10 years has any. Souless efficient machines. The last Japanese sportbike with soul was the RC51 IMHO and they stopped making that in 04 or 05.

Define what character or soul means to you.

Not keen on the CB1100? Upcoming FZ-09?

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would rather own any of these over anything comparable from Germany: Miata, RX-7, BRZ/FRS, MR2, NSX, ITR, S2k.

The materials quality isn't up to snuff, but the ergonomics are dialed in many of those cars, which is much more important IMO.

I have never been enamored with the Audi's and BMW's I've driven. Porsche is a different story, but their interior quality is lacking. Audi and Mercedes interiors are top rate, but you certainly pay for it.

Anything much more than 3,000 lbs has too much lag in the transient dynamics IMO.

I have no idea what all this translates to in production motorcycles. Ducati wins a lot of manufacturers Championships, but Italians and Germans do so in F1, too; doesn't necessarily translate to the best production road vehicle.

lurker%5B1%5D.gif
lurker%5B1%5D.gif
lurker%5B1%5D.gif
lurker%5B1%5D.gif
lurker%5B1%5D.gif

I do believe there is a glaring omission from your list.

epb

Reaction score

None of the current Japanese bikes has any character or soul...well other than the VMax and that isn't my kind of bike.

The American public has steadfastly refused to buy any Japanese bike with character for decades. They make them, the press raves, and we all go get another Sportster. Watch how things go with the CB1100.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

::sigh::

Yes, there is the GTR. Not much for comfort as a daily driver, but it is one hell of a driving machine. I'd love to take one of those for a spin.

Any Harley guys here? I was at the dealership to try some of their bikes.

All the Dyna's too tall for me my legs can hardly touch the ground. The sportster Forty eight with 1200 engine fit me very well and cost about 10k. Also they have a Softtail Slim. Really perfect but that thing is about 17k holy **** I don't want to spend that much.

So right now my only options are Sportster or Softail used. As I will ride it going to school sometimes, a Softail would be "too much" for me? I'm 5'8'' and pretty young.

A friend of mine has a V rod that thing is fast as ****.

Probably the only Harley I'd consider is the Fat Bob

I'm not really into Harleys and it's always the guys riding these bikes in particular who don't give anyone else "The Wave." The whole culture of it is too... insular. And you're always paying in the neighborhood of $20k for something that shakes and rattles worse than a Furby in heat.
bounce2.gif
Still, the Fat Bob is one sexy beast (even if its 1600+cc engine only makes 63bhp). As for the Sportster, I feel like it tries to be on the one hand sporty and on the other hand cruisery and thus, fails at both. Of course the same could probably be said for my bike...

And I would agree with the assessment.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** the GT-R. Yes, its competent, fast, even fun to drive... but it is the definition of soulless. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner and is the automotive equivalent of:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Performance cars need to get back to the mantra of "less is more". The first M5 weighed ~3400lbs. That's less than a 6 banger 3 series today. It's absurd. We need more Ariel Atoms and Factory Five 818s. [/endrant]

I totally forgot about the RC51. Def gonna look at those when the opportunity comes. Honda 996

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen maybe 3-4 of Triumph's cruisers on the road besides mine in the past few years in Boston, and I live in the same neighborhood as my dealership. They are very uncommon choices, probably because you can get reliable, boring Japanese cruisers for cheaper that "look just like a Harley!" or, if you're an older guy looking for a shiny, high-torque-low-horsepower money pit, there's Harley itself.

But Triumph cruisers, for being cruisers, have a surprising amount of power, handling and reliability. And they've got their own style and character. More fun, I say, to stand out from the pack.

If I were to upgrade my Speedy to something heavier, faster and more cushy, I'd probably go with the T-Bird (MSRP $13.5k) over any other cruiser.

But I think I'll get the STriple first.

Because life's to short to always be riding a cruiser.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads