• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morning suit vs. Tuxedo

the_sulks

Reaction score
I'm thinking of choosing a suit for my wedding. Inititally I thought of a navy business suit but now I suppose a morning suit and tuxedo would be a better option, a dressier one, yet it can hardly be reusabale later as opposed to navy suit.

What are the pros and cons for the morning suit? What are the pros and cons for the tuxedo?

theplayerking

Reaction score
A morning suit is for day and a tuxedo is for evening. Personally, I think both are a bit much for a wedding. The classic rule for menswear is: all men in the room should be wearing the same type of clothing. For weddings, that includes the guests.

the_sulks

Reaction score

A morning suit is for day and a tuxedo is for evening. Personally, I think both are a bit much for a wedding. The classic rule for menswear is: all men in the room should be wearing the same type of clothing. For weddings, that includes the guests.

Do you mean your prefer a business suit, not tux or morning dress?

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not unusual at all to get married in a morning suit in England, I am making one up right no for someone (who's English), my wife who's American just couldn't wrap her mind around it. Similarly I think Tuxedos aren't right for weddings, definitely cultural differences.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A morning suit is for day and a tuxedo is for evening.

Traditionally correct. Although as a practical matter, in the United States, circa 2015, morning suits are rarely seen, and tuxedos are often worn for daytime weddings.

The classic rule for menswear is: all men in the room should be wearing the same type of clothing.
Which is basically the rationale for including the dress code, on a wedding invitation. For example, specifying "Black Tie" makes it less likely that half the male wedding guests will show up in jeans.

goatandtricycle

Reaction score
Personally I went with a bespoke business suit (blue) with an unusual waistcoat (vest) grey.
I used the term lounge wear on our wedding invite and all worked out well.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Evening dress (tuxedo) is for evening functions NOT a wedding. You are probably better with a dark blue or charcoal suit although formal morning dress is by far preferable.

TWEEEEEDDDDD

Reaction score
A tuxedo is appropriate for a day time wedding, assuming the reception begins in the evening. While tradition provides context that a morning suit is for the day, as long as the event begins in the evening you will be fine. I would focus more on the fit and details of the tuxedo itself, and ensuring the groomsman look appropriately aligned with your outfit and the venue. Congrats and good luck.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tuxedo is appropriate for a day time wedding, assuming the reception begins in the evening. While tradition provides context that a morning suit is for the day, as long as the event begins in the evening you will be fine. I would focus more on the fit and details of the tuxedo itself, and ensuring the groomsman look appropriately aligned with your outfit and the venue. Congrats and good luck.
A Tuxedo, or dinner suit, is evening wear. Traditionally this is agreed to begin at 6pm and so a tuxedo at a daytime wedding would be inappropriate. A lounge suit or morning dress would be more appropriate. However, given that "formal wear" listed on an invitation is likely to get people to wear their GOOD jeans these days, the traditional rules are likely academic. Bon chance!

theplayerking

Reaction score

Do you mean your prefer a business suit, not tux or morning dress?

I prefer all of the gentleman to be wearing the same thing. It drives me crazy when the groom is in a morning suit, the groomsmen are in tuxes, and the guests are in business suits (or less). It may sound a bit snobbish, but I think weddings should be about the best of what you normally wear.

If I wore my tux, I would expect my guests to wear one as well. If I knew the majority of my guest list doesn't have a tux, I would wear a suit.

Last edited:

Astaroth

Reaction score
As per the previous post and the others on here, time and climate would traditionally dictate what formal wear should be worn but first and foremost, its your guys wedding and if you want to break with tradition then thats your choice and only really a consideration if you are wanting Tatler to cover it.

As to groom -v- groomsmen -v- guests outfits, the former two certainly should be similarly dressed. It would be nice to see all guests in morning suits but realistically the chances are low in most circles and I dont think the grooms group in monrning suits with the guests in lounge suits is an issue.

the_sulks

Reaction score

Which is basically the rationale for including the dress code, on a wedding invitation. For example, specifying "Black Tie" makes it less likely that half the male wedding guests will show up in jeans.

Why a groom should care for what guests wear? I don't really care whether they wear tuxedos or jeans.

the_sulks

Reaction score

Personally I went with a bespoke business suit (blue) with an unusual waistcoat (vest) grey.
I used the term lounge wear on our wedding invite and all worked out well.

Say they come in jeans while you wear a suit. I don't see a problem here. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads