• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just for the heck of it, I thought I would share my top 10 Rocksteady tracks with you. I've ranked them, but according to my mood I could easily turn the ranking on its head. Some of these I had back in the day; stuff like this was what I used to listen to at the West Indian record shop in Deptford. They're all probably available on YouTube.

10. The Tide is High - The Paragons

9. Hold Them - Roy Shirley

8. Tougher than Tough (Rudie in Court) - Derrick Morgan

7. I'm in a Dancing Mood - Delroy Wilson

6. Girl I've Got a Date - Alton Ellis

=4. Take it Easy - Hopeton Lewis
Take it Easy - Prince Buster
[Two versions of the same song. I won't include Joyce Bond's UK-produced 'Do The Teasy']

3. Fu Manchu - Desmond Dekker
[was in two minds between this and his classic '007'. 'Fu Manchu' is kind of early Reggae rather than pure Rocksteady, but I love his vocals on this track.]

2. Train to Skaville - The Ethiopians

1. It's Raining - The Three Tops.

I've probably said this before, but was I alone in thinking that something had gone terribly wrong with the music business when Desmond Dekker stopped singing in Patois (i.e. at the time of 'You Can Get It If You Really Want It')? Glossy marketing and 'production values' took over a vibrant music that knew where it came from.

Good Selection M-o-M :)

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My favourite old scarf. Made by Joxtons. Lost at Christmas because of drunkenness. Mislaid somewhere between the pub in Ladbroke Grove, and the bench I woke up on in Neasden Parade. (Neasden wasn't on my way home, and I have no idea how I got there. Still had my hat on though.)
Those damn mischievous Whisky Fairies !
Inks,Bad luck with the scarf,I bet you wont be doing that again ( until the next time),your hat was still there what about your wallet ?
I had a similar drink related loss a long time ago,a light green Harrington ( like the green Alpha jackets ) it was the best Harrington that I ever had,couldnt find a replacement and I don't think I have seen one the same colour since,been more careful after that.
Those pullover / popover shirts,I should imagine getting a slim fit one off is like a snake shedding its skin,probably not the most practical fit/style combination.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cern, took a quick pic on the school run as promised:

@Mr Knightley Love that Tootal, even better close up. Great colours.

And @Inks that's got to hurt, losing that. How it went AWOL made me smile though, but still got to hurt.
Cleav..That looks tidy to me,I only have one paisley silk scarf ( with a wool back),too warm in all but the coldest outdoor conditions,an all silk one has long been on my list but you ( and elwood,Inks and Mr Knightley) have inspired me to make it more of a priority now.
I have also wanted to go to the Northampton shoe factories,but its a pain of a trip from here.
Interesting that you mention the history/heritage side of John Smedley and Crockett and Jones,we have talked about it a lot on this thread ( not just British firms) and how some have sadly disappeared,others are not such good quality now but perhaps there are some that still make good quality items even now.
BTW,do you ever wear brogue boots ?,quite a few good British shoe makers selling them over the last few years.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just back from a workshop in London close to Covent Garden and I could not believe how many people were sporting different items of a skinhead persuasion - in some very odd combinations. A worrying trend....
Mr Knightley.Yes I have seen some of the cr@p that Next is offering at the moment,its not going to be a nice summer dress wise.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Tootal on the left. I've got the other silk scarf for years and i love it. Don't remember the make, French i think. I miss one with a wool back.

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Cleav..That looks tidy to me,I only have one paisley silk scarf ( with a wool back),too warm in all but the coldest outdoor conditions,an all silk one has long been on my list but you ( and elwood,Inks and Mr Knightley) have inspired me to make it more of a priority now.
I have also wanted to go to the Northampton shoe factories,but its a pain of a trip from here.
Interesting that you mention the history/heritage side of John Smedley and Crockett and Jones,we have talked about it a lot on this thread ( not just British firms) and how some have sadly disappeared,others are not such good quality now but perhaps there are some that still make good quality items even now.
BTW,do you ever wear brogue boots ?,quite a few good British shoe makers selling them over the last few years.

I'll have a trawl back to look through the heritage stuff when I get time, thanks for the nod. Fascinates me. Edward Green is another one along with J Lobb in Northampton. The shoe museum is great too, though I appreciate it will be a trek from Bristol.

The brogue boot question is a good one and no is short is the answer. A mate of mine on these boards CTBrummie has been trying to persuade me and I may just pick up a pair for next winter. I got the Cheaney brogues from him. What he doesn't know about boots ain't worth knowing. We're both C & J mad so will often hook up for a coffee(!) in Birmingham. Boots to choose? too many to mention but I love c & J Islay, then Edward Green and Trickers of course...

My favourite boots I still wear I had on today and posted on another thread. Some non Brits don't get how you could keep shoes/boots for this long without binning and going for new. I have tried to explain that if they are looked after by the right people, soled and heeled, they will outlast me. Not that my two girls will appreciate that in the inheritance!

They are (proper) Grensons 28 years old and get sent to C & J for work when required. Love 'em.

Last edited:

yankmod

Reaction score
Here you go Brownie -

The High Numbers Live 1964

Seen this Many Times.At 3:04 there is a Blonde Guy.Crew Neck sweater with what appears to be a.............. Polo Shirt with Twin Piping at Collar.Looks like a Fred Perry but could be someone else I guess.

craig matthew

Reaction score

Just back from a workshop in London close to Covent Garden and I could not believe how many people were sporting different items of a skinhead persuasion - in some very odd combinations.  A worrying trend....
I have been following for a while now so I thought its about time I said hello
Just on the train going home after two days in London and I was in covent garden mr knightly, I hope it wasn't me you seen

elwood

Reaction score

Here you go Brownie -

The High Numbers Live 1964

Good viewing that, Bunty & browniecj. Reminds me that The Who's "Happy Jack" was one of the very first singles I got as a kid. And Moon looks about 15.

Some smart attire on show - a few Smedley-type shirts I'd be happy to wear.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brian Auger Talks about Early days at Ronnie Scott's,the Flamingo and the Marque.      

Interesting Stories from Brian,he is looking well.I had forgotten that the Marquee only played Jazz at the weekends-I usually went on a Tuesday(or if there was someone who I wanted to see on another night).They were always well attended and it helped break the week up.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have a trawl back to look through the heritage stuff when I get time, thanks for the nod. Fascinates me. Edward Green is another one along with J Lobb in Northampton. The shoe museum is great too, though I appreciate it will be a trek from Bristol.

The brogue boot question is a good one and no is short is the answer. A mate of mine on these boards CTBrummie has been trying to persuade me and I may just pick up a pair for next winter. I got the Cheaney brogues from him. What he doesn't know about boots ain't worth knowing. We're both C & J mad so will often hook up for a coffee(!) in Birmingham. Boots to choose? too many to mention but I love c & J Islay, then Edward Green and Trickers of course...

My favourite boots I still wear I had on today and posted on another thread. Some non Brits don't get how you could keep shoes/boots for this long without binning and going for new. I have tried to explain that if they are looked after by the right people, soled and heeled, they will outlast me. Not that my two girls will appreciate that in the inheritance!

They are (proper) Grensons 28 years old and get sent to C & J for work when required. Love 'em.

Cleav.Great boots,I bet that they are really comfortable,I think that you are right there is a modern mentality that new is better than old,no appreciation of quality.
Mind you back in the day I probably thought like that in a lot of ways,just wanted the same or similar to what my mates wore.
You say "proper" Grensons,are they made in India now ?,I saw some in John Lewis a while back and I wasn't very impressed with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads