• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some very sad news from Original Modernist Gill Evans (from Facebook):

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that my lovely husband Del has passed away.
Del Evans 1st May 1946 -26th February 2014. X x x

Gill and Del met in the early 1960s and became 'Continentalists' - see their 'Mod Togs' Facebook page and Jack that Cat Was Clean blog

http://jackthatcatwasclean.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/memories-photos-of-birmingham-mods-del.html
Sorry to hear that Mr Knightley,in the interview that Gill did you could tell that she was happy and proud of their joint interest in style in the past and up until then.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked this up on ebay. Made by Pickering, a US brand. It's a 4 front-button, pull-over BD. A sort of BD/Polo shirt hybrid. The placket is about 3/4 of the shirts length, which seems pointless. Were there many pull-over BD shirts early on ? This one seems a bit of an oddity.
I wish it didn't have the Greenwich Country Club CT logo on it.
Inks,I have never seen a BD in that style but I do remember having a couple of pullover shirts like that when I was a kid,its a very old design,because the bottom half has no gaps they are quite warm to wear.
BTW,I looked on the Brooks brothers UK site and they have some of those multi stripe/plain/check shirts ( a bit like that one you put a picture of ) some looked ok IMO although some looked a bit like jockeys colours.

McDermott

Reaction score
Inks,I have never seen a BD in that style but I do remember having a couple of pullover shirts like that when I was a kid,its a very old design,because the bottom half has no gaps they are quite warm to wear.
BTW,I looked on the Brooks brothers UK site and they have some of those multi stripe/plain/check shirts ( a bit like that one you put a picture of ) some looked ok IMO although some looked a bit like jockeys colours.
Proper name is a pop over shirt, another Ivy league thing a bit, done by Brooks etc. Dont mind them but wouldnt wear one myself.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My humble Tootal collection

Red dot and blue dot get all the wear

Nice Collection.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, that joint interest is perhaps unusual today - which is partly why some of us end up on discussion forums...

Sorry to hear about Gill`s loss.They were certainly a very smart Couple,Mr.Knightley.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Cleav,A very nice collection,although I admire the paisley and the patterned ones,I would be more likely to wear the dot ones too.
I have usually seen them worn with a Crombie type coat,what do you wear yours with ?
BTW,John Smedley is not that far from you,are/were they popular in your area ?

Cheers Cern, Yep the red and blue get all the go and the red paisley next to em I like too. I wear em with a jumper, tucked in, to look like a cravat or ascot and a jacket on top like a black Barbour or similar. Wear em like a scarf too. I'll take a pic or two and post to see what you think. Always glad of an opinion. Some of other threads dominated by Americans and some Euros don't get it so its a battle sometimes when Im posting fit pics there so any support or reassurance gratefully received.

John Smedley, great spot that. Yeah, they're about 30 mins away from me in Crich. The factory is as was and is certainly very impressive. I compare it to another love of mine English shoes and in particular Crockett and Jones shoes in Northampton. The history of these places is something you can smell when you go. I drop into Northampton a couple of times a month for work and if there's an opportunity, I will buy. The Duchess also loves em now, cost me some money but now she don't mind when i get another pair. The same true for JS, they have a sale in the factory once a year. It's done over three days and it is mobbed, we always go but the kids hate it (!) their factory shop is the place to go to (open all year) as you can pick all sort of bargains up. I might go once or twice a year if I do some work in Matlock as Crich is on the way.

Back in the day they were more old mannish if I remember and we never got em on. That might have contributed to some dire times for JS, they nearly went under, but they reinvented themselves and now are world renowned of course. If memory serves I think one of the sons in the family took it on and pushed the fine knit. By that time we were a little older and able to afford em and I think the traditional colours of greys, blues and blacks went down a treat, certainly with a tootal!

Nice Collection.

Thanks too Brownie, much appreciated.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
Mr Knightley.You are right it is/was a great thing to see someone who had the look just right,there have been photos on this thread where there have been excellently attired individuals IMO.
To me one of the smartest looks was brogues,prince of wales check trousers a button down and a Crombie,but some lads could look scruffy even wearing all of that .
That's one of the things I like seeing on this thread,people taking some pride in their appearance,thinking about what they wear, even talk about polishing boots,standards that have largely been forgotten in most of life today.
I'm one of those lads that would look scruffy even wearing all of that sad but true.

Inks

Reaction score
Cheers. I'll have to have a look at those Brooks Brothers shirts. I remember RL did some lairy-coloured BDs that looked like jockey silks about 15-20 years ago. Awful bloody things.
Proper name is a pop over shirt, another Ivy league thing a bit, done by Brooks etc. Dont mind them but wouldnt wear one myself.
The shirt has quite a nice slim cut to it, but it's an arse-ache to take on and off, because there's no give to the fabric. Pretty impractical actually.

elwood

Reaction score

I used to be involved in a Weekender in Gt.Yarmouth.The "Deep Room" was run by Dave Godin.I never heard Dave being introduced as Dave Go-din-so it must be "different strokes,for different folks".I never spoke to him as he made "Deep Soul" as boring as f*ck.His interpretation of it anyway(he would have a talk about the subject-before the music started.Most People walked out then went back when the music started.:)

That's interesting, browniecj. From the bits and pieces I've read it seems Mr. G. (however pronounced) almost saw Deep Soul as his mission - and missionaries do get preachy. Still, a lot of the music he pushed was excellent which is all that matters in the end.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's interesting, browniecj. From the bits and pieces I've read it seems Mr. G. (however pronounced) almost saw Deep Soul as his mission - and missionaries do get preachy. Still, a lot of the music he pushed was excellent which is all that matters in the end.

His Cds are top notch,I have most of them.What I refer to is the Lectures he would give,in the "Deep Room",before the music went on.:facepalm:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some very sad news from Original Modernist Gill Evans (from Facebook):

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that my lovely husband Del has passed away.
Del Evans 1st May 1946 -26th February 2014. X x x

Gill and Del met in the early 1960s and became 'Continentalists' - see their 'Mod Togs' Facebook page and Jack that Cat Was Clean blog

http://jackthatcatwasclean.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/memories-photos-of-birmingham-mods-del.html

I like the mission statement "We are glad to hear from anyone with memories of the time, but we do not rewrite history" - I hope we try to do the same thing here. Del & Gill were a smart couple.

The top picture reminds me of how, in the 1960s, I loved motor bikes but couldn't stand the soapy way Rockers dressed. Plus I loved black music.

Weirdly, I recall that the lads in my school, just outside Blackpool, in the mid 1960s, looked more like Teds than anything else, but everyone seemed to like Motown!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the subject of female mod style and people passing away, Samantha Juste - the young woman who used to spin the discs on the original Top of the Pops - died recently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads