• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes S65 or Bentley Continental GT?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mert54
Where do you live, if you are in LA go with the Bentley, most other places, the MB. You want to stand out, but not be in the Bentley while everyone else is in a Honda. I used to have my Ferrari in the East Bay area (Oakland, Berkeley) and I got a lot of looks, and it wasn't right having it there.

I thought it was already well argued that buying a car based on other peope's opinions is not only pointless, but really pathetic. You're allowing other people to spend your money for you, honestly. Get whatever the hell you want, who cares where you live.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Is it really a bad Bentley? I was under the impression that all Bentleys are good.

It's a pimped out volkswagen. The engine is basically two golf/jetta VR6 engines slapped together and turbocharged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W12_engine

You can get 90% of the look (from a distance) from a debadged honda accord coupe with big wheels.

S65 is a good choice, esp at that price! Maintenance on both could be a nightmare, but at least the MB was designed to be driven. Bentley was designed to sit in a valet parking spot.

princemarko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
It's a pimped out volkswagen. The engine is basically two golf/jetta VR6 engines slapped together and turbocharged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W12_engine

You can get 90% of the look (from a distance) from a debadged honda accord coupe with big wheels.

S65 is a good choice, esp at that price! Maintenance on both could be a nightmare, but at least the MB was designed to be driven. Bentley was designed to sit in a valet parking spot.

I have to object to the Bentley bashing.

The VW Phaeton which shares parts with the Continental GT is a spectacular automobile. It is the best engineered sedan in the world, it just didnt sell because of the VW badge with a 70k price tag. Just because they are VW engines means nothing, the engineering on it is flawless and gets up to 198 mph which a Honda could never do. As for the "meant to be driven" comment, Bentley's warranties are UNLIMITED mileage. They put their money where their mouth is on relability, problem is that they can only warranty it up to 3 years after the factory warranty runs out. That was a dealbreaker for me.

The Bentley is a great car, just not big enough for my needs. If I was single, I would have chosen the Bentley. But because I'm married and work in the corporate world, i need the space and the ability to maintain the car rather than deal with Bentley dealerships that are few and far between.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta

And with an avatar like yours you must know about pimping!

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the S65. Make sure you take lots of pictures and post them here.

Tummy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by princemarko
black-mercedes-amg-s65-with-black-tinted-windows-and-chrome-allow-wheels-car-reviews.jpg

Just to let you know, the picture you posted is not an S65. I believe this is an S600. The S65 has very distinctive bumpers, AMG 5 spoke wheels, fender badge, and couple other elements.

MB_S65-AMG_819.jpg

princemarko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tummy
Just to let you know, the picture you posted is not an S65. I believe this is an S600. The S65 has very distinctive bumpers, AMG 5 spoke wheels, fender badge, and couple other elements.
MB_S65-AMG_819.jpg

I realized that right after i posted it. Still though, they are nice looking cars.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
Get you're great lease price, great service, and driving vehicle. I also choose to own a MB as well. I was simply stating that the TMV of the vehicle is far less than MB estimates when you are to turn the car back in. Also, the next time you are in NJ make sure to see the other db mobiles parked in my stable (all of which I own outright.) I'm sure you'll consider my BMW Alpina b7 a d-bag mobile too...

You are FOS...let's see a few pics of this "stable"...only a supreme d-bag would call their cars a "stable" LMAO

princemarko

Reaction score
So.... I have been going over the numbers with the dealer and looking at the depreciation levels(staggering). Here is my question.

Should I get the S65 OR... should I go with the S600 and send it to Brabus for their performance package?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So.... I have been going over the numbers with the dealer and looking at the depreciation levels(staggering). Here is my question.

Should I get the S65 OR... should I go with the S600 and send it to Brabus for their performance package?

Personally I'd go with the S600 and not enhance the engine with Brabus, I don't see the need for it given the current power of the engine. The engine as is is amazingly powerful, something that is quickly noticed when simply pulling away from a stop light in normal traffic conditions. If not the S600, then I would go with S65. I'm not a fan of aftermarket enhancements.

princemarko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Personally I'd go with the S600 and not enhance the engine with Brabus, I don't see the need for it given the current power of the engine. The engine as is is amazingly powerful, something that is quickly noticed when simply pulling away from a stop light in normal traffic conditions. If not the S600, then I would go with S65. I'm not a fan of aftermarket enhancements.

Usually, I would say you are spot on, but Brabus is a solid aftermarket tuning company. They are not some half assed company out of someone's garage. But I called them today and the stage 2 package is $37,000. So unless i can get a real deal for a S600, I think it isnt worth the cost vs an S65.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the AMG really does that much for me. I like the classic S600. To me having a souped up sports package of a limousine is just a bit excessive and unecessary. But if you really want to spend the extra, then why not I guess.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Usually, I would say you are spot on, but Brabus is a solid aftermarket tuning company. They are not some half assed company out of someone's garage. But I called them today and the stage 2 package is $37,000. So unless i can get a real deal for a S600, I think it isnt worth the cost vs an S65.
I know that Brabus has a good reputation and does a great job, I'm just not into any aftermarket enhancements, not even for sports cars. For the S/CL600, IMO, the car is fine as is.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I don't think the AMG really does that much for me. I like the classic S600. To me having a souped up sports package of a limousine is just a bit excessive and unecessary. But if you really want to spend the extra, then why not I guess.
I also don't like the AMG package on the S600, even though I do like the S65.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads