• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

LaymanX

Reaction score
Gotta say, I effing LOVE my kersey wool peacoat. Does anyone know of any other brands using this material nowadays? It's as soft as cashmere, yet strong and durable as 100% wool.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Gotta say, I effing LOVE my kersey wool peacoat. Does anyone know of any other brands using this material nowadays? It's as soft as cashmere, yet strong and durable as 100% wool.

The Navy quit using Kersey as a cost cutting measure back in 1980. I'm not aware of any other company using it.

matt1985

Reaction score
Wow. You sure have. Better start laying off the pizzas, dude.

, just kidding. The fit looks fine, in my opinion.

Haha, will be back in the gym soon. My clothes are starting to not fit me :( I Love the look of the kersay wool coats. They are around $200+ on vintage trends in my size, they worth getting hold of one?

Peacoat

Reaction score

Haha, will be back in the gym soon. My clothes are starting to not fit me :( I Love the look of the kersay wool coats. They are around $200+ on vintage trends in my size, they worth getting hold of one?

Well, they aren't making anymore of them, and it is the finest material made for peacoats. Probably find one less than that on ebay, though. If I didn't have one, I would gladly pay that much for a nice one.

Last edited:

matt1985

Reaction score
They look incredibly nice, will have to get one! How much slimmer are the earlier 1950's compared to say a 1970's jacket? Sorry, I'm sure this has been answered before.

Peacoat

Reaction score

They look incredibly nice, will have to get one! How much slimmer are the earlier 1950's compared to say a 1970's jacket? Sorry, I'm sure this has been answered before.

The WWII models are the slimmest. They got a little larger post war in the 40s. Only a little difference between the 50s and the 70s, but some. Many people wouldn't notice the difference.

If one is filled out to one's adult size, with normal proportions, fit shouldn't be a problem. If, however, the buyer still has the skinny frame of adolescence, the coat will be too large. As an example, I have a chest size of 42" and weigh 190 lbs. with an athletic frame. A size 40 peacoat gives me a trim fit with only a shirt underneath. A size 42 allows enough room to layer a sweater and still obtain a trim fit.

If you haven't already done so, read the peacoat dating guide that is linked in my signature line below. A section on fitting is toward the end of the guide.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From the wiki.

Kersey - a type of cloth construction, using wool.

Melton- a type of cloth construction, using wool.

Merino- a type of sheep that produce very fine wool.

This same wool is used in making fabrics from 8 ounce weight
summer suiting, as well as 32 ounce kersey and 24 once melton.

Last edited:

WestwardDrift

Reaction score
Ain't it tough to think of peacoats in summer?

I'm impressed. This looks much better than previous Bond style peacoats you posted in the past. The buttons are placed more like what I expect to see and the proportions of the coat are better. A question: could you produce a cotton version in a navy or midnight blue or perhaps a charcoal? And could a fabric be picked with water resistance?

Thanks.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think of mine sitting in the closet and long for winter to come around again.

Testo

Reaction score
Is there any way to find out what oz wool my peacoat is? Its not listed on the tags...

Testo

Reaction score
Ain't it tough to think of peacoats in summer?

Maybe im missing something, but what is the point of the side pockets that are placed very high up? You obviously cannot put your hands in them to keep them warm, and they are so high up that they are awkard to reach in to place and remove items.

Front pockets with flaps are also very awkard...my current peacoat has the same front pockets, and i have to bend my arms at an awkard angle to fit them in. I would much prefer the traditional side pockets that let you comfortably place your hands inside.

hokuto

Reaction score
Hello,

Quick question, I recently bought my first pea coat and while it seems to fit fine when I'm standing; it looks very awkward if I reach forward for something overhead. Is that a sign of a bad fit or just something that pea coats aren't suppose to look good doing?

Thank you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads