• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Peaman

Reaction score
I think it's a little big for your body. To much cloth under the armpit.
A size smaller would be better.

Of course, this is only my opinion

Peacoat

Reaction score

I'm interested in a fitted pea coat that's pretty warm as I'm in upstate NY.  I would like to get something new.  I've read the last 100 pages of this thread and I can't read anymore cause I'm going insane.

At first I was really into the Club Monaco pea coat or possibly the schott 740c with leather trim cause it looked like a great trim fitting jacket but now I'm considering the Sterlingwear Mil-spec jacket, couple of questions:

1) The mil-spec I've read just has higher arm holes, has it actually been confirmed that it is warmer or thicker wool?  Is the Mil-spec one you guys talk about different than the "authentic" on the website?  Is this better than the "navigator"?
2) How do you order the mil-spec jacket and do I refer to it as "mil-spec" when over the phone or email?  Will they think I want an authentic?
3) Here are my measurements:

Height: 5'6
Chest: 38
Waist: 33
Hip: 40
Sleeve: 32/23
Shoulder to Shoulder: 17.5

My question is what size to go with in Sterlingwear mil-spec?  I'm assuming I size a 38?  I would like to be able to wear a thin sweater underneath.  I rarely wear thick sweaters but I do maybe wear 2 layers under (t-shirt and sweater).  Do I go regular length or short length?  I would like the body to be short (cause I think a long coat makes me look shorter) but I don't want the sleeves to be too short and they are more important.

Here is what I've been able to find on p2p values of sterlingwear from this thread:

"
[COLOR=A74345]Sterlingwear Authentic 34s, About 19.25"[/COLOR]
 It's a Sterlingwear Authentic size 38R. The P2P measured 21".
40R Mil-Spec. The correct p2p is just barely 21 inches
"

Probably the size 38 would give a decent fit and still allow a sweater underneath. When you call to order (and, yes, they will know that you want the Navy issue if you ask about the Mil Spec) give them your measurements and see what they say. At worst you would have to pay return postage to get a smaller size. Not only does Sterlingwear make a good peacoat, but it is a good company to deal with as well.

One of our members, ClarinetPlayer, has a Mil Spec and is quite pleased with it. Maybe he will chime in. From what I understand, it is a warm coat. I had one several years ago, but gave it to a long time buddy of mine who needed a warm coat.

For a basic guide to peacoat fitting, see the link in my signature line below. There is a section on sizing toward the end.

Good luck in the hunt.

mnsmokeater

Reaction score
Opinions?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm interested in a fitted pea coat that's pretty warm as I'm in upstate NY.  I would like to get something new.  I've read the last 100 pages of this thread and I can't read anymore cause I'm going insane.

At first I was really into the Club Monaco pea coat or possibly the schott 740c with leather trim cause it looked like a great trim fitting jacket but now I'm considering the Sterlingwear Mil-spec jacket, couple of questions:

1) The mil-spec I've read just has higher arm holes, has it actually been confirmed that it is warmer or thicker wool?  Is the Mil-spec one you guys talk about different than the "authentic" on the website?  Is this better than the "navigator"?
2) How do you order the mil-spec jacket and do I refer to it as "mil-spec" when over the phone or email?  Will they think I want an authentic?
3) Here are my measurements:

Height: 5'6
Chest: 38
Waist: 33
Hip: 40
Sleeve: 32/23
Shoulder to Shoulder: 17.5

My question is what size to go with in Sterlingwear mil-spec?  I'm assuming I size a 38?  I would like to be able to wear a thin sweater underneath.  I rarely wear thick sweaters but I do maybe wear 2 layers under (t-shirt and sweater).  Do I go regular length or short length?  I would like the body to be short (cause I think a long coat makes me look shorter) but I don't want the sleeves to be too short and they are more important.

Here is what I've been able to find on p2p values of sterlingwear from this thread:

"
[COLOR=A74345]Sterlingwear Authentic 34s, About 19.25"[/COLOR]
 It's a Sterlingwear Authentic size 38R. The P2P measured 21".
40R Mil-Spec. The correct p2p is just barely 21 inches
"

My measurements are the same as yours yours except that I am 5'7" and my chest is 39".

I have Sterlingwear Mil-Spec, 40R and it is perfect for me Also, I have a terrific 1955 vintage coat as well. Wearing a sweater under the vintage is tight.

I wear the Mil-Spec throughout the winter, and it gets the job done--providing good wind block and warmth.

The vintage looks more "stylish"; the Mil-Spec is more functional--especially in the arms and shoulder. It is comfortable to wear when driving car (as your arms are raised.)

The vintage has the nicer Kersey wool. But, is much heavier than the Mil-Spec. Both are built like....er, battleships. Made to last.

I happen to be wearing the Mil-Spec, today, as the temp, this morning, was 28 degrees. Before sending this reply, I snapped a quick picture. The quality of the photo is not the best, but you can get a good idea as to the length of the sleeve and the length of the coat. I like it that the sleeve covers some of my wrist. (I want that in cold weather.) The length coat covers my derriere, which is important on any coat.

The phone number on the Sterlingwear website (under contact) is all you need. If you mention Mil-Spec, they will know what you mean.

If you wear a 38 coat, I'd go for the 38R Mil-Spec. The p2p on my Mil-Spec is just shy of 21 inches. It is a thick, but soft, coat.

Last edited:

Hungryhippo44

Reaction score
My measurements are the same as yours yours except that I am 5'7" and my chest is 39".

I have Sterlingwear Mil-Spec, 40R and it is perfect for me Also, I have a terrific 1955 vintage coat as well. Wearing a sweater under the vintage is tight.

I wear the Mil-Spec throughout the winter, and it gets the job done--providing good wind block and warmth.

The vintage looks more "stylish"; the Mil-Spec is more functional--especially in the arms and shoulder. It is comfortable to wear when driving car (as your arms are raised.)

The vintage has the nicer Kersey wool. But, is much heavier than the Mil-Spec. Both are built like....er, battleships. Made to last.

I happen to be wearing the Mil-Spec, today, as the temp, this morning, was 28 degrees. Before sending this reply, I snapped a quick picture. The quality of the photo is not the best, but you can get a good idea as to the length of the sleeve and the length of the coat. I like it that the sleeve covers some of my wrist. (I want that in cold weather.) The length coat covers my derriere, which is important on any coat.

The phone number on the Sterlingwear website (under contact) is all you need. If you mention Mil-Spec, they will know what you mean.

If you wear a 38 coat, I'd go for the 38R Mil-Spec. The p2p on my Mil-Spec is just shy of 21 inches. It is a thick, but soft, coat.

That coat looks pretty big on your torso area. Compare it to the fit above by gentry NYC in the last picture. I am looking for a jacket that almost hugs you around the waist torso area and has enough room in the chest. I almost feel like you could have dropped to the 38R.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That coat looks pretty big on your torso area.  Compare it to the fit above by gentry NYC in the last picture.  I am looking for a jacket that almost hugs you around the waist torso area and has enough room in the chest.  I almost feel like you could have dropped to the 38R.

I tried the 38, but with a sweater--which, to me, is essential for winter wear--it was too snug. The 38, with just a shirt, was fine. If I desire a "hug" look, I wear the vintage coat which is much more slim in the torso. Keep in mind, this is a "working man's" coat. It has to be roomy to perform manual labor.

Here is an older pic of the vintage. 40R In this pic, I am wearing a very thin sweater. If were to wear a J Press Shaggy Dog type sweater, it would not be comfortable.

Last edited:

WestwardDrift

Reaction score
it check on this peacoat:

This is my first peacoat... I dont really know how a peacoat should fit.Help would be greatly appreciated.

Stats:

Selected Mercer peacoat size small
http://selected.com/homme/outerwear/mercer-db-pea-coat-t/16031913,en_GB,pd.html?forcecountry=GB
5.6ft , 127 pounds

I'm certainly no expert, but the main issue I see is the cut of the coat. The armholes look much too low. I purchased a cotton peacoat online with similarly low armholes. It rode up if I tried to raise my arms at all. I ended up returning it. Are you finding that an issue?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
.westwarddrift

You are right armholes that are too deep make the coat ride up when the arms are raised.
The same thing happens when you sit sit in the car and reach for the wheel. the coat front
may come up in your face., also the deep armhole restricts forward movement.

nsudharsanan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a vintage 1958 peacoat and I had a question regarding the sleeves. There appears to puckering/sheering where the sleeve meets the body (see pictures, almost looks like neopolitan suiting). I took it to a tailor here and he said that happens to jackets, especially heavy ones, and is normal. He also said there is no guarantee that it wouldn't happen again if they tried to fix it. Is this normal? Aside from this, everything else about the jacket is excellent, and I am scared to return it for another jacket that might be worse off overall. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

freddyj

Reaction score
So I was looking to get a sterlingwear pea coat and I was wondering what's the difference between the mil-spec ones and the ones listed on the website?

mudshovel

Reaction score
Anyone able to proxy Fidelity peacoat to Finland? I could find only one retailer shipping them to Finland but the price seems to be almost 400 euros which is about 550USD.. I'm pretty sure they aren't that expensive in there?

Peacoat

Reaction score

So I was looking to get a sterlingwear pea coat and I was wondering what's the difference between the mil-spec ones and the ones listed on the website?

The Mil-Spec is the one issued to the sailors. It probably is cut a little differently and may be made from higher quality materials. Probably warmer as well. If I were to get a current, non-vintage peacoat, it is the one I would get.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads