• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

NoahRose

Reaction score

Hey guys, I am considering the Schott Slim Fit Peacoat in Grey or the J.Crew Bayswater Peacoat in Charcoal. 

I am 6'0 & 175lbs. Was wondering what everyone thought of the fit & quality of these two peacoats compared to each other. The Schott is on the left and the J.Crew is on the right.

I'm thinking about the exact same coats and need help deciding too :slayer:. I'm 6'1 and 185 though. I was also looking at the Schott 740C. I'm looking for a fitted fit but not too tight. I had a Spiewak peacoat and though the quality was decent the fit sucked for me. The medium was too short and the large was too big in the body. Having gorilla arms sucks sometimes.

Lokani

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! How do I know if I get that midnight blue color? It's hard to tell sometimes on my computer. Another thing, if I'm a 39" inch chest would I downsize to a size 38? Thanks again

Rookje

Reaction score
Looking for something similar to this:

216032113346631688_aRekLVrw_c.jpg

Any ideas?

NonServiam

Reaction score
Any opinons on the Tommy Hilfiger pea coat? I live in a corner of the world with fewer options than most, and would like to try before I buy. Schott, Sterlingwear and vintage is out, but Hilfiger I can find ...

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any opinons on the Tommy Hilfiger pea coat? I live in a corner of the world with fewer options than most, and would like to try before I buy. Schott, Sterlingwear and vintage is out, but Hilfiger I can find ...

I like the lower slant pockets. I have no other comment.

hebe

Reaction score

Opinions on the fit? It's the J.Crew Bayswater in XS with a t-shirt under .. Should I shorten it a bit? Keep or sell?

As for the Hello Kitty on the shelf, I shot these in my lil' sis room.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Opinions on the fit? It's the J.Crew Bayswater in XS with a t-shirt under .. Should I shorten it a bit? Keep or sell?

Looks good to me.

Last edited:

PeacoatNewbie

Reaction score
I'm 5'9" 157 with a 38.5" chest and a 30" waist.

This is the J. Crew Bayswater Peacoat. The first set of pics is the size XS. The sleeves and length are perfect imo. The problem is it's a little tight around the shoulders and chest. I'm thinking about getting the buttons moved over an inch to give a bit of space for me so I don't feel as constricted. Is this okay to do?

The second set of pics is the size S. The sleeves are too long and perhaps too wide? I'll definitely need to have the sleeves shortened. I also feel that body is not only boxy, but a bit too long. Am I wrong about this? The shoulders feel way better though. With the XS, I do feel a bit constricted but with the S, I feel like I can move around. How tight is a peacoat supposed to feel anyways?

I am wearing a button up and a sweater underneath both coats. Which coat would you take if you were me?

Thanks to all.

Size XS:

http://imgur.com/a/2wu4y

Size S:
http://imgur.com/a/eyMUg

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also looks good to me. I don't think you need to shorten it, although you could knock off a half inch and length to give it more of an edge. The arms seem a little wide to me, that's the only thing I don't like. Very classic.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone in Toronto know of any stores besides the Bay that sell London Fog peacoats? They were selling some recently, but it seems as if my size is sold out in every location I've checked. I was hoping to wait to buy it, but since the selection was so small, it looks like people snatched them up.

NoahRose

Reaction score
Anyone try this Banana Republic Peacoat?

It's only $200 and they're constantly having 25-35% off sales. Is it a good cheap buy?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Opinions on the fit? It's the J.Crew Bayswater in XS with a t-shirt under .. Should I shorten it a bit? Keep or sell? As for the Hello Kitty on the shelf, I shot these in my lil' sis room.
Why is it twisted so much to the right (your right)? Did you button it up correctly?
I'm 5'9" 157 with a 38.5" chest and a 30" waist.

This is the J. Crew Bayswater Peacoat. The first set of pics is the size XS. The sleeves and length are perfect imo. The problem is it's a little tight around the shoulders and chest. I'm thinking about getting the buttons moved over an inch to give a bit of space for me so I don't feel as constricted. Is this okay to do?

The second set of pics is the size S. The sleeves are too long and perhaps too wide? I'll definitely need to have the sleeves shortened. I also feel that body is not only boxy, but a bit too long. Am I wrong about this? The shoulders feel way better though. With the XS, I do feel a bit constricted but with the S, I feel like I can move around. How tight is a peacoat supposed to feel anyways?

I am wearing a button up and a sweater underneath both coats. Which coat would you take if you were me?

Thanks to all.

Size XS:

http://imgur.com/a/2wu4y

Size S:
[COLOR=336699]http://imgur.com/a/eyMUg[/COLOR]
5-9 and 160 should not be wearing XS. Neither of those look good on you.

Peacoat

Reaction score
A peacoat should be long enough to cover the butt, and not much longer. The sleeve length should be at least one inch below the wrist joint. But this depends on personal preference. The coat should not be so tight that you notice the tightness in the chest or the shoulders; It should be comfortable to wear without noticing the fit..

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads