• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

itbegins

Reaction score
I just received a US Navy issue peacoat by Sterlingwear that came sans 1 button. I'd like to kop a button from ebay, but the vintage buttons are listed as black where as my buttons are a very dark blue. Anyone know of a source (I'll try sterlingwear tomorrow)?

Last edited:

bb714

Reaction score

I just received a US Navy issue peacoat by Sterlingwear that came sans 1 button. I'd like to kop a button from ebay, but the vintage buttons are listed as black where as my buttons are a very dark blue. Anyone know of a source (I'll try sterlingwear tomorrow)?

You sure they're different? What auction are you looking at, specifically?

But if you're going to call Sterlingwear, you might as well just do that. :) Nowhere better to get stock buttons than the source of the coat!

itbegins

Reaction score

You sure they're different? What auction are you looking at, specifically?

I've contacted the seller and am awaiting his reply on this. All his "vintage" buttons are listed as black, so we'll see.

But if you're going to call Sterlingwear, you might as well just do that. :) Nowhere better to get stock buttons than the source of the coat!

I'm hoping they're willing to A) send me one, and B) send it USPS to Canada.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Call them! They owe you a button and ask for some remittance to pay for having it sewn on by a tailor. They should (and will) back up their product.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread but after reading the entire thread I'm still not sure what is the best option for a slim, warm (Toronto winters) and good quality coat that won't chew up my sweaters.

Schott seems to be hit and miss with quality.

Vintage is a gamble for finding something in like new condition.

So I guess Sterlingwear authentic coat is the best bet?

bb714

Reaction score

Great thread but after reading the entire thread I'm still not sure what is the best option for a slim, warm (Toronto winters) and good quality coat that won't chew up my sweaters.

If I were you, I'd go for pre1980 vintage if possible. Have you checked out vintagetrends.com? They do a good job of describing the condition of their coats, and the ones they have are usually in very good condition.

itbegins

Reaction score

Call them! They owe you a button and ask for some remittance to pay for having it sewn on by a tailor. They should (and will) back up their product.

I called this morning, they're sending me one no questions asked. I picked it up used not directly from Sterlingwear, so asking for remittance was much more than I was comfortable asking for.

breakHARD77

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd go for pre1980 vintage if possible. Have you checked out vintagetrends.com? They do a good job of describing the condition of their coats, and the ones they have are usually in very good condition.

I absolutely agree. I have one on the way to my house as I type this. Remember that using the code HEAT will give you 20% off. Also, you'd be wise to call Vintage Trends and ask Gary (the owner) a couple of questions, as Peacoat has been preaching:
Ask Gary to hold the coat at an angle to a window in the daytime and check for moth tracking or other damage. If it passes inspection, that is a cheap price to pay for a peacoat of that era. Also, make sure the fit will be right. The p2p on this size 36 should be about 19.5" or 19.75". The size 34s and 36s are a cut a little different from the larger sizes. Depending on how you like your peacoat to fit, this will fit a size 36 to 37 inch chest. I think a size 38 chest would be a little too tight, especially with a sweater. But then, I like my peacoats to be comfortable with plenty of room to move.
Let us know how it goes.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sterlingwear, even though the prices went up it's still a far better option from off the rack.

breakHARD77

Reaction score
So my 38R kersey wool peacoat came in from Vintage Trends. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite as good as I expected it to be.

If you look closely, when the coat is buttoned up, the two columns of buttons are not symmetrical; rather, the left column of buttons seems to be at the center of the coat while the right column is more off to the side. As you could imagine, it looks a little strange when you try putting it on.

Also, there were a few signs of wear on the left sleeve, as well as a small tear in a seam on the inside of the jacket (near the vent). The coat itself is beautiful, though.

It's a bit of a hassle, but I'll probably return the coat and get a different one. I have my eyes set on the coat below. To my naked eye, it looks like it doesn't have the asymmetrical buttons like the coat above, and 36R seems to be more my size than 38R.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So my 38R kersey wool peacoat came in from Vintage Trends. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite as good as I expected it to be.

If you look closely, when the coat is buttoned up, the two columns of buttons are not symmetrical; rather, the left column of buttons seems to be at the center of the coat while the right column is more off to the side. As you could imagine, it looks a little strange when you try putting it on.

Also, there were a few signs of wear on the left sleeve, as well as a small tear in a seam on the inside of the jacket (near the vent). The coat itself is beautiful, though.

It's a bit of a hassle, but I'll probably return the coat and get a different one. I have my eyes set on the coat below. To my naked eye, it looks like it doesn't have the asymmetrical buttons like the coat above, and 36R seems to be more my size than 38R. 

Does it look "off" when you are wearing it? Just curious. If there are tears and stuff, I'd send it back.

breakHARD77

Reaction score
Does it look "off" when you are wearing it? Just curious. If there are tears and stuff, I'd send it back.

It does look off. I wish I had taken pics, but it pretty much looks just like it does in the picture above. I should have questioned that before I actually went ahead and ordered it...

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forum member, "Peacoat" , rightly, advised calling the store and asking the personnel to inspect the coat under a light looking for moth holes, tears, etc... I did not do this, but I was lucky and received a mint condition coat. Until the coat arrived, however, I was worried about what would be in that box when I opened it. In this case, I was very fortunate. If I were to order in the future, I'd ask them to pick out the very best coat (in the size desired.) "Peacoat" also suggested that store measure (again) the coat to confirm the posted measurements. Pretty good advice.

Last edited:

breakHARD77

Reaction score
Forum member, "Peacoat" , rightly, advised calling the store and asking the personnel to inspect the coat under a light looking for moth holes, tears, etc... I did not do this, but I was lucky and received a mint condition coat. Until the coat arrived, however, I was worried about what would be in that box when I opened it. In this case, I was very fortunate. If I were to order in the future, I'd ask them to pick out the very best coat (in the size desired.) "Peacoat" also suggested that store measure (again) the coat to confirm the posted measurements. Pretty good advice.

I had actually done this (calling to double check the quality and measurements of the specific coat). I guess he must have just missed the things I saw.

With that said, though, Gary was very professional, quick to reply, and accommodating.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads