• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys I really need help! I have a black peacoat and I need shoes that go well. Please give me some recommendations in the $100-$200 price range that go well with black. I'm 23 and am usually wearing dark raw denim.

Clarks in beeswax is great. Most casual shoes will go great. I have a black peacoat as well.

sincere1983

Reaction score
This one is sick !!

Hugo Boss Orange Wool pea jacket 'olat'.

And it's a coat which I can find in the Netherlands! Costs €349.

dopke

Reaction score
Can't get any sizing help from Schott...

For the 740N,

My chest measures (right under my armpits) 37" breathing in, and about 35" not breathed in. I wear a 38 in a trim fit for my suits. Should I be a 36 or 38?

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score

For the 740N,
My chest measures (right under my armpits) 37" breathing in, and about 35" not breathed in. I wear a 38 in a trim fit for my suits. Should I be a 36 or 38?

Doubt you will get a trim fit in a Schott irrespective of what you order. The Sterlingwear will be a bit trimmer fit. A 38 in either brand would be too big for you. The Schott would fit like a tent. Try a 36 in a Sterlingwear; won't be a really trim fit, but it won't be like a tent. If you are set on the Schott, go with a 36 there also.

Please us know what you get and how the fit is.

roots1976

Reaction score
@dopke Yes, go with a size 36 if you take a Schott 740N. It has a very thick inner lining, making it really a very warm coat. That's maybe why peopIe say it comes very large. Actually it doesn't, it's just a thick and heavy 32oz coat. Most other pea coats posted here look like 24oz or less and therefore just seem to be slimmer. I also think it depends on somebody's build and height how good or bad any pea coat will fit and look like. Just a p2p doesn't mean much. If you have a 37" chest, narrow shoulders and a beer belly the same coat will fit differently as if you have a 37" chest, broad shoulders and a slim waist. If want a fitted Schott, there's the 740C and the DU704I. You could also get a 740N customized to suit your needs. Customer service is excellent.

Last edited:

dopke

Reaction score

Doubt you will get a trim fit in a Schott irrespective of what you order. The Sterlingwear will be a bit trimmer fit. A 38 in either brand would be too big for you. The Schott would fit like a tent. Try a 36 in a Sterlingwear; won't be a really trim fit, but it won't be like a tent. If you are set on the Schott, go with a 36 there also.
Please us know what you get and how the fit is.

I don't need a "trim" fit per-say, just don't want that tent look that you are referring to. I just want it to look normal fitting, not too big such that it looks goofy. I'll take a look at Sterlingwear as well. Thanks for the tips, will update when I Decide.

Last edited:

Maerhyl

Reaction score

For the 740N,

You will be disappointed. I returned mine. It fits line a big sack.

Maerhyl

Reaction score
I received the jcrew in medium size. The fit is really good and it's warmer than the Club Monaco. I'm keeping it.

I will post a picture later.

Hollywars

Reaction score
Bought a peacoat from GAP, yes, I know, I messed up haha. It's kind of long, I probably accidentally got it in tall or something. Now that I'm going to be taking it back, should I check out a J.Crew peacoat while I'm at the mall? How will a J.Crew peacoat be different from a vintage or surplus Navy/Army one?

Also, I'm going to New York on the 11th, should I just wait out the cold and get one while I'm there from Uniqlo or something like that?

Last edited:

dave333

Reaction score

Bought a peacoat from GAP, yes, I know, I messed up haha. It's kind of long, I probably accidentally got it in tall or something. Now that I'm going to be taking it back, should I check out a J.Crew peacoat while I'm at the mall? How will a J.Crew peacoat be different from a vintage or surplus Navy/Army one?
Also, I'm going to New York on the 11th, should I just wait out the cold and get one while I'm there from Uniqlo or something like that?

I have the jcrew peacoat with thinsulate; pretty darn warm. I think the pros of the jcrew one is that with thinsulate, it's probably going to be warmer if you need it (I'm in VT, i prefer not having to break out the parka every time its under 30). It probably fits better too.

At the same time, it's a bit pricy unless on sale. I got it at 25% off+15% student discount so it came out to be a good deal.

The non +J uniqlo peacoat is not that great; decent fabric but not as heavy/thick as jcrew, also the the collar was a bit too count dracula when popped, buttons weren't as nice. +J peacoat was nice though, but i didn't like the location of the welted pockets

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, Amazon is doing a lightning deal right now - CK melton blend peacoat for $99.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would someone with a WWII peacoat in size 36-40 (preferably size 38) mind sending me the total length of the jacket? I'm looking at a few of these and it looks like the length varies a good amount for some reason.

Last edited:

Russ24

Reaction score
Anyone know if Sterlingwear peacoats are still sized way up? ie. That my 5-7, 135 frame, 35" chest will fit a 32? I checked the past pages in this thread, but want to be sure they havent changed their sizing before I order. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads