• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

dave333

Reaction score
I got the jcrew bayswater peacoat, will post later. I live in VT so hopefully the thinsulate helps out when it gets really cold.

That said, I really really liked the fit of the club monaco peacoat in XS. Literally perfect. But it was more expensive, probably not as warm so i didn't get it. the +j one at uniqlo seemed nice but no smalls to be found

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Live in NorCal so need a preferably lighter peacoat so I can use it down the road.

Need a cheap peacoat. Preferably < $100. I'm in high school and still growing so things pretty much only last me one-two seasons. Hopefully I can get a cheap peacoat that'll last me until Spring is over. Would get a Sterlingwear but it's still too costly for me now.

Chest: 30-31"
Around 5'6"

Thanks!

Last edited:

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
i just purchased the club monaco one at 240 after student discount. fits like a ******* dream. the wool on this is definitely good quality as well.

now, have any of guys ever replaced the buttons on your peacoat to something other than the traditional navy ones? im looking into horn or perhaps some sort of dark bone buttons. anyone know where i can source these buttons?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i just purchased the club monaco one at 240 after student discount. fits like a ******* dream. the wool on this is definitely good quality as well.
now, have any of guys ever replaced the buttons on your peacoat to something other than the traditional navy ones? im looking into horn or perhaps some sort of dark bone buttons. anyone know where i can source these buttons?

http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/home.asp

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great info, thanks Peacoat!

Now I am on the hunt for an as-new pre-1980 ex-GI peacoat in my size. Sometime down the track I may experiment with dying it black, but for now I'll be happy to snag a quality coat for the coming winter.

rcd213

Reaction score
Quick question....

Has anyone purchased a Fidelity peacoat and can comment on sizing? I'm a medium/38R usually, but it seems as though these are sized a bit larger. I'm really just debating between a 36R and 38R, and hoping for some input. Thanks in advance

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick question....
Has anyone purchased a Fidelity peacoat and can comment on sizing? I'm a medium/38R usually, but it seems as though these are sized a bit larger. I'm really just debating between a 36R and 38R, and hoping for some input. Thanks in advance

I would size down and set some money aside as a contingency in case it doesn't fit and needs to be tailored. I'm a 40R and read they fit slim so I bought a 40R and it fit very big, so I had it tailored and now it's perfect.

rcd213

Reaction score

I would size down and set some money aside as a contingency in case it doesn't fit and needs to be tailored. I'm a 40R and read they fit slim so I bought a 40R and it fit very big, so I had it tailored and now it's perfect.

Thanks for the help, that sounds like a solid plan. Might as well keep the tailoring in mind, since their so reasonably priced annyway.

Maerhyl

Reaction score

I got the jcrew bayswater peacoat, will post later. I live in VT so hopefully the thinsulate helps out when it gets really cold.

That said, I really really liked the fit of the club monaco peacoat in XS. Literally perfect. But it was more expensive, probably not as warm so i didn't get it. the +j one at uniqlo seemed nice but no smalls to be found

I love the fit of the Club Monaco too. I was worried that it wouldn't be warm enough. How does the fit of the jcrew compare?

Peacoat

Reaction score
A poster above mentioned horn buttons. Here is a picture of a friend of mine in his 1967 (68?) peacoat with horn buttons he added:

I believe he has a 40" chest and sized down to a 38 vintage peacoat. I know he went down one size.

In another message I will try and post the link where he got the buttons. I am working on a new Mac as my Windows laptop is updating, and I'm not very familiar with this Mac, so it has to be done in different messages. Unfortunately, the source is in Germany, and unless one speaks German, it may be difficult to read and order from.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score
And here is the information he sent me on the links. For those of us who aren't adept in German, it is a bit difficult to figure it out, but it can be done as he has give some additional information.

"The button is called Hornknopf (horn button) Senne, 28mmm diameter, brown.

http://www.stoffe.de/Zubehoer/Knoep...&a=article&ProdNr=24_36428_22&t=6&c=577&p=577

As you can see they are quite expensive. It would be almost 5 dollars per piece.

But they also sell very beautiful buttons made from ivory nut which are much cheaper and probably as nice."

http://www.stoffe.de/Zubehoer/Knoep...&a=article&ProdNr=24_41279_20&t=6&c=577&p=577

I hope this is useful to the poster who had an interest in the horn buttons. I think the presentation is quite nice.

dave333

Reaction score

I love the fit of the Club Monaco too. I was worried that it wouldn't be warm enough. How does the fit of the jcrew compare?

I had to get the Jcrew in S because the XS was too tight (no room for a sweater or something underneath). Club Monaco XS was essentially perfect, it was right in between. JCrew small has just a little fabric in the chest for me, but mostly a non-issue since it allows for more layering, which might be needed cause it is already freaking cold here in VT and it's not even halloween.

Last edited:

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Good peacoat ~$100? 30-31" Chest size. If those J.Crew/Club Monico XS/S would fit, please PM!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads