• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I really can't recommend Sterlingwear enough.

agreed. the Sterlingwear i've got is really nice and with the proper care will most likely outlast me. for sizing, i actually sized up so i could layer. but the peacoat with just a t-shirt underneath would suffice for most of the weather conditions here in California.

i've never bothered checking out other peacoat offerings but i can't imagine you could beat the price vs quality of the Sterlingwears.

-Jeff

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One thing about the Sterlingwear is that it is stiff and very heavy compared to most of the other peacoats out there from the Ralph Laurens and JCrews of the world. FWIW.

Does anyone besides me think the peacota in this picture is too small.... Too short in the arms and the body?

http://www.polo.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2505657

For that matter, this shot too:

http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family

I mean, it's a COAT, not a blazer. You shouldn't be showing cuff.

My Sterlingwear (which was mil surplus) falls on my thigh a couple inches below my crotch.

metkirk

Reaction score
I think those 2 are at proper lengths, and it's always nice to show some cuffs
inlove.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
One thing about the Sterlingwear is that it is stiff and very heavy compared to most of the other peacoats out there from the Ralph Laurens and JCrews of the world. FWIW.

Does anyone besides me think the peacota in this picture is too small.... Too short in the arms and the body?

http://www.polo.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2505657

For that matter, this shot too:

http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family

I mean, it's a COAT, not a blazer. You shouldn't be showing cuff.

My Sterlingwear (which was mil surplus) falls on my thigh a couple inches below my crotch.

I agree, too short or too small, probably in an attempt to make them look more trim fitting.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
hmmm...i think those are the perfect length, and I *really* like that green coat. imo, Sterlingwears (and other authentic peacoats) are too long, hovering in that awkward limbo between a topcoat/crombie and a car coat.

vanity

Reaction score
If you live somewhere it gets cold like NY or Chicago, those sleeves are too short, IMO. You'll have a gap between your gloves and the coat.

deputamadre

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a nice peacoat, but unsure as to what size I should purchase. I'm 6'6" (2 m), with a 40" chest, 34" waist, and for dress shirts I have size 36" sleeves. Can anyone recommend some brands to check out for peacoats and what sizes would fit me? I plan to tailor the waist of the coat, so the main factor here is sleeve length. Coat will be worn in Wisconsin, so a thick one should suffice.

Thanks
Joe

Max

Reaction score
Well, anything in size 40 long or extra long should fit you.

I personally wear my dead grandfather's peacoat that he got in the Navy during World War 2. Excluding the lining, it's far and away the most durable garment I own. If you can find one of the navy-made ones in your size, they're built like steel and will last until you die.

Barring that, I've heard good things about Schott.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You might want to go 38L. I have a 39-40" chest and I wear a 38R peacoat over a sweater, etc. If it's too loose it won't keep you as warm.

Sterlingwear gets good reviews here as well as Schott, but I'd try for a vintage one.

Max

Reaction score
J certainly has a point. Peacoats are usually cut pretty big to accomodate lots of layers underneath. Consider sizing down.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I have to recommend Sterlingwear, I went to an army/navy store in the city about two months ago to look at pea coats, and the owner pulled out a Schott and a Sterlingwear to show me the difference in quality and I was quite surprised with the low quality of Schott, especially when I hear a lot of people talking about how great they are... Much more stitching in the Sterlingwear, they know what they are doing since they make Navy regulation. The owner of the store told me that Sterlingwear had just recently started selling to the public, and that when they did go public, they had to "dumb down" some of their coats to compete with Schott.

Both make tall sizes, I'm about 6'2" or 6'3" and the 38 long is perfect on me, I probably could squeeze into a 36. I do know that Sterlingwear charges more for extra long, and I think Schott makes talls, but I think they only do XL tall sizes. Try contacting Sterlingwear, the customer service is great, when I talked to them they said if they didn't have my size they would make it for me that day...maybe they could add a few inches for you.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trovata (sp?) has a great peacoat

tomtraubert

Reaction score
you could check here:

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/browse/...3879&Ne=500000

they have a few peacoats at 49% off. the ted baker toggle coat and the marc jacobs moleskin faux fur coat are pretty cool looking.

if you spend $200+ use promo code AEXBF30 for $30 off. they also have a sweater special where you get an additional 20% off when you buy two. use google check out for another $10 off, but i'm not sure if you can use the former code through google. you can search "bluefly promo" and look for other codes like free shipping or whatever.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted a peacoat, but given my height (5'6") I've thought I looked weird in one.
thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads