• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

johanm

Reaction score

Do you know a lot about this stuff? I saw on Head-Fi that some people customize their Sennheiser IE80s with fancy wires and special tips (couldn't tell if they were custom or not, although some of the links suggested that's what people are doing?)

Are those upgrades worth it? I'm mostly just playing this stuff on my laptop or some MP3 player. And frankly I don't even know if my files are that high-quality (prob not, tbh). Mostly playing jazz, blues, and hip hop, if it matters at all.

Thought about looking into those tips, but I really wouldn't even know if the stock tips are bad or not.

I'm not too deep into it but I've spent a moderate amount of time on head-fi to inform similar purchasing decisions.

Haven't ever used the IE80s but I think Sennheiser uses a proprietary standard for their earpiece connection, so maybe people resort to DIY solutions for cable replacements if the OEM cable is too expensive or otherwise unsatisfactory.

On whether tip upgrades are worth it, I think it's definitely critical to get tips that give you a good seal. Otherwise the bass is going to be thin and ****** regardless of the headphones, among other things. It's pretty straightforward to buy good tips for any headphones. You can go to the Comply or Spin Fit website and it will be pretty clear what model to order.

On the broader Q of whether it's worth nerding out on headphones if you're a casual listener, I think yes at least for me. I listen to mostly hip hop/electronic downloaded from Spotify on whatever high quality setting they offer and can definitely appreciate performance in such areas as bass speed/impact, rich midrange, non-fatiguing treble, instrument separation, big soundstage, etc. Of course, a lot of audiophiles go much further than that but I can easily perceive the improvement of my JVCs over a random pair of Beats, Sony, etc.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm not too deep into it but I've spent a moderate amount of time on head-fi to inform similar purchasing decisions.
Haven't ever used the IE80s but I think Sennheiser uses a proprietary standard for their earpiece connection, so maybe people resort to DIY solutions for cable replacements if the OEM cable is too expensive or otherwise unsatisfactory.

On whether tip upgrades are worth it, I think it's definitely critical to get tips that give you a good seal. Otherwise the bass is going to be thin and ****** regardless of the headphones, among other things. It's pretty straightforward to buy good tips for any headphones. You can go to the Comply or Spin Fit website and it will be pretty clear what model to order.

On the broader Q of whether it's worth nerding out on headphones if you're a casual listener, I think yes at least for me. I listen to mostly hip hop/electronic downloaded from Spotify on whatever high quality setting they offer and can definitely appreciate performance in such areas as bass speed/impact, rich midrange, non-fatiguing treble, instrument separation, big soundstage, etc. Of course, a lot of audiophiles go much further than that but I can easily perceive the improvement of my JVCs over a random pair of Beats, Sony, etc.

If I think I'm getting a good seal from the stock tips, does it do anything to upgrade?

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick recommendation for B&W C5 in-ear head phones. I'm sure there are other better reviewed head phones in the same price range (some reviewers think these are too bass heavy, though that hasn't been a problem for me), but the sound quality that's there and the added comfort and ease of use with the wire loop, makes me very satisfied with these. Would buy again (and probably will, if they ever break down - been using them for about 4 years now).

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On whether tip upgrades are worth it, I think it's definitely critical to get tips that give you a good seal.

Given that this is Styleforum, after all, I'm surprised that no-one has talked about getting a pair of custom-fit in-ear headphones.

I've heard that there are a few different companies out there that make in-ear earbuds/headphones that are based on custom-made molds of your ears, so that they fit very well without the need for foam or rubber earpieces.

Obviously, you've got to pay to get the mold done professionally by an audiologist or someone - you can't just pour warm wax into your ears!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sennheisers came today and I think I like them. Wouldn't know if there's something significantly better, but I'm happy enough with them to keep them.

Anyone know if there are different grades to three flange ear tips? Are some better than others?

Don't like foam tips, but also not getting a really good seal on these stock tips. Would like to try some three flange ones, but don't know if I can just randomly grab a pair that work for Sennheiser IE80s.

Jakezero

Reaction score

Sennheisers came today and I think I like them. Wouldn't know if there's something significantly better, but I'm happy enough with them to keep them.

Anyone know if there are different grades to three flange ear tips? Are some better than others?

Don't like foam tips, but also not getting a really good seal on these stock tips. Would like to try some three flange ones, but don't know if I can just randomly grab a pair that work for Sennheiser IE80s.

I don't use three flange tips, but I have had a pair of IE8's as my main pair of on the go IEM's since 2009. I've experimented with a lot of different tips before ending up with my current setup, and I've never had any issues with getting the tips on the headphones.

Anything you grab should fit, it's fairly standardized.

Last edited:

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Check out an audio shop that sells the upper range of shure products- they usually have a package of triple flange buds open for demoing-you can try them to see if they fit your sennheisers and your ears. A note if you have smaller ear canals like I do, I find the bud sits just outside my ear if I use the tips straight out of the box. Instead I trim a part of the sleeve down a bit and they fit perfectly. Leave it to a tailor to mod his earphones for fit, right?

emptym

Reaction score
I like the triple flange ones from Etymotics. Been using them for about 15 yrs. I got them to fit under a motorcycle helmet and they block the noise from that, or planes or power tools, really well. My only beef is that they aren't very durable. I've ruined a few with a metal zipper on a jacket. And the jacks break in your pocket.

Alan See posted some V-moda ZNs that are supposed to be pretty durable. Anyone have any experience with those?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Check out an audio shop that sells the upper range of shure products- they usually have a package of triple flange buds open for demoing-you can try them to see if they fit your sennheisers and your ears. A note if you have smaller ear canals like I do, I find the bud sits just outside my ear if I use the tips straight out of the box. Instead I trim a part of the sleeve down a bit and they fit perfectly. Leave it to a tailor to mod his earphones for fit, right?

Thanks! That's a great suggestion. May just call around and see who stocks something in San Francisco and go in-store. Probably a lot better than ordering a bunch of random things off the internet.

Merry Christmas to everyone in this thread.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not too experienced in the headphones/noise cancellation business, but after doing a little bit of research, I ended up going with some Bose QC15s. I got a killer deal and needed some headphones. I am very happy with my purchase and they seem to do the job very well. What's the next step from here? Is it a really big difference on to the QC25s and 35s? Is Bose not as good as the price and reputation lead on?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A slight derail, for those of you in the north of continents and need frostbite ear protection: The "Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones" work excellent. The main complaint is that they are too warm in the summer, but with strong winds at temps below -15 F or C they are surprisingly comfortable. The down side is they don't work with pom-pom hats and helmets (for bike commuters and those public transit locations where your pom-pom knit hat is an individual/political statement).

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any recommendations for travel headphones? Those that are good at noise cancellation and with good sound.

I've been a loyal follower of The Points Guy website this past year and have been very impressed by his reviews and recommendations. He pays for his own travel and had 150+ flights this past year. He suggested the following when it comes to headphones.:

“I’ve been a big fan of Bose noise-cancelling headphones for years, especially on planes and in airports whenever I’m trying to sleep. Each time Bose comes out with new headphones, like the QC35 model, I’ll treat myself. I particularly love the Bluetooth feature, which is ideal if you’re traveling with a phone that doesn’t have a headphone jack.”

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/12/5-travel-essentials-brian-kelly-the-points-guy/#ixzz4UjLZIzI9

The one thing I don't agree with TPG about is his choice of suitcase. (Rimowa Salsa) I prefer the Briggs & Riley balistic nylon cases and they are rated number one by CR.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads