• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't hesitate if this was a patterned or heavily textured cloth. The Finmeresco has a slightly smoother hand than 10oz Fresco, so there's some texture there, but I fear it may be too suit-like...

consider the other options you have at hand: for instance you could consider a one-button closure and/or one-button working sleeves (since the jetted pockets are an admittedly utilitarian consideration to begin with). i could think of several other signifiers off the top of my head that would help your jacket to read as a non-orphan...

Last edited:

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand exactly what gemming is.

I told my fiancee we should explore gemming together, and she got excited and thought we were going jewelry shopping. Needless to say I dumped her. I found someone off SartorialSingles.com and now have a much healthier relationship. His name is Giuseppe and he is a sixty year old Perugian cordwainer. I think we might be sole mates.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Having a blazer made and am back-and-forth on hip pocket preference. I use the hell out of my hip pockets - keys, sunglasses, business cards, etc. - so I find that my flapped pockets end up with tucked flaps best case, and mangled/wrinkled flaps worst case. My usual answer to this is patch pockets, though I'd prefer this blazer to be a bit more formal/conservative. That leads me to jetted/besom pockets...

Does anyone own/have had a solid-color odd jacket/blazer made up with jetted or besom pockets? I'm somewhat worried the more formal pockets will make the jacket look like an orphaned suit jacket, especially considering I'm using a worsted cloth in Finmeresco 4-Ply. Thoughts?

I haven't had Besom pockets on a navy blazer since the mid 90's. And, I use my pockets especially for phone and business cards. I started getting many of my jackets made with a double patch pockets in the early 200o's when they called them Blackberry pockets. (I guess now they are iPhone). Use the inner pocket for your phone, keys, business cards and it doesn't distort the shape of the outer pocket.

I also have an inside lower pocket put in all of my jackets for suits and sport coats for my phone. It really hides it and it is easy to access without dealing with flap exterior pockets.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do the same thing with my patch pockets, although the interior patch is hidden. Agree, it helps preserve the shape of the outer pocket, especially on looser weaves.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I told my fiancee we should explore gemming together, and she got excited and thought we were going jewelry shopping. Needless to say I dumped her. I found someone off SartorialSingles.com and now have a much healthier relationship. His name is Giuseppe and he is a sixty year old Perugian cordwainer. I think we might be sole mates.

If you asked my ex what gemming is she could tell you. Probably not unrelated to the reason she's my ex too...

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I know this has been discussed here or elsewhere a few times, but how did you have the conversation with a spouse/partner to not buy you clothes.
I'm insanely picky about what I wear, which is not a reflection on the cost (or even construction of things), but the fit and how it goes together with the rest of what I have. My girlfriend is awesome and has bought me stuff a couple of times now, but I feel bad because some (read:most, read:all) of it is stuff that I wouldn't really wear. I had her return something she got me saying that it didn't fit well.

My wife more or less refuses to shop for me. That generally results in us going on trips for holidays, birthdays, etc. Much easier way to make things meaningful and if you're a true StyFoDude a trip overseas will be about the same cost as a trip to the tailor's. The other option is to introduce her to a SA at your favorite store. Donnie at Sid Mashburn can set his watch by my wife reaching out around my birthday or the holidays.

Marsay

Reaction score
Anyone: best place to have a briefcase looked after in Manhattan or Brooklyn? Leather needs some industrial grade love.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads