• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Has anyone here ever altered a linen sweater?

I have an Inis Meain pub jacket and the body is tad wide...I want to take in the waist but wonder if that would be wise. While I am asking what about shortening the sleeves?

Would it be wise given that it is a linen cardigan and should be loose anyways. I did size up on this sweater though FWIW.

I haven't had linen knits altered, but I've had wool knits done.

It depends on the design, what you need done, and whether or not if you care if there's a seam in the end. An alteration can be via machine or hand linking. The latter is a bit more difficult, but possible. I prefer hand linking when possible because I think the finishing is nicer.

I can send you some recommendations to places later. Need to answer your PM too.

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For silk suits, is the fabric usually 100% silk? Will trousers hold up ok in 100 silk?

You guys don't use General Chat?

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For silk suits, is the fabric usually 100% silk? Will trousers hold up ok in 100 silk?

As far as I've seen, most off-the-rack suits or jackets that use silk will usually be a blend of wool and silk or wool, silk and linen. I've got a wool, silk and linen jacket from Brooks Brothers that's help up really well - it's quite an open weave and is great for summer.

Certainly, a suit made from something like dupioni silk (which used to be popular, in a niche sort of way, back in the 1960s and 1970s) would have an outer made from 100% silk. To be frank, I'm not sure how well it would wear. I'd think that it would wrinkle quite badly, but whether the trousers would wear out quickly, I really can't say. However, it certainly wouldn't be an "everyday" suit so whether it would wear out quickly or not wouldn't be as much of a concern as it might otherwise be.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks man ^ Yep, I was thinking of a Dupioni type suit. Full silk, not a blend. I guess you're right, it will be an occasional suit, so I probably won't be too concerned about longevity.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ why is that bizarre? Its not like in the US we don't have people who try and lease BMW's or wear $300 jordans who clearly should spend their money elsewhere...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Been browsing audiophile forums to find info about headphones I'm thinking about buying and I'm starting to get a sense of what normal people think whey they visit this site.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Been browsing audiophile forums to find info about headphones I'm thinking about buying and I'm starting to get a sense of what normal people think whey they visit this site.

Did Kiya's Ultrasone name drop in the PTO interview start you on this journey?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did Kiya's Ultrasone name drop in the PTO interview start you on this journey?

No, I can't seem to find my regular pair of headphones, so I decided to buy another.

Ended up getting a pair of Sennheiser IE80s. Was trying to get reviews on Head-Fi, but there's too much jargon for me to meaningfully understand what people are saying. Also not sure I care enough about sound quality to get that deep into this, but general reviews seem to be good. I think, anyway.

Also very StyleForum-y:

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-on-internet-almost-falls-into-world-of-diy-mus-17013

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

No, I can't seem to find my regular pair of headphones, so I decided to buy another.

Ended up getting a pair of Sennheiser IE80s. Was trying to get reviews on Head-Fi, but there's too much jargon for me to meaningfully understand what people are saying. Also not sure I care enough about sound quality to get that deep into this, but general reviews seem to be good. I think, anyway.

I ask because I hadn't heard of Ultrasone until I read that interview (great work as always, by the way). I too am in the market for a new pair since my Shures have gone with way of the dodo. Will have to give the Steinheisers a look. I try to limit my pedantic, nerdy disposition to clothing. I don't think my brain or wallet could handle another hobby of any real substance.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I ask because I hadn't heard of Ultrasone until I read that interview (great work as always, by the way). I too am in the market for a new pair since my Shures have gone with way of the dodo. Will have to give the Steinheisers a look. I try to limit my pedantic, nerdy disposition to clothing. I don't think my brain or wallet could handle another hobby of any real substance.

Wirecutter and Sweethome have good, nerdy recommendations for people who aren't nerds.

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/headphones/

http://thesweethome.com/

A rare thing on the internet, but the reviews there are written up by people who know what they're talking about, aren't just being paid by companies to say good things, and are nerdy enough to be interesting, while also being easily digestible.

Only bias is that they only recommend things you can find on Amazon (mostly) since they rely on Amazon affiliate links to generate revenue. But that seems like a small bias in the greater scheme of things.

I would have went with their in-ear headphones recommendation, but didn't mind spending a little more money, so I picked up the Sennheisers. Reviews seem to be mostly good, with the main complaints being the price. MSRP is like $450, but you can find them for $200-250

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677682,&is=REG&A=details

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Wirecutter and Sweethome have good, nerdy recommendations for people who aren't nerds.

A rare thing on the internet, but the reviews there are written up by people who know what they're talking about, aren't just being paid by companies to say good things, and are nerdy enough to be interesting, while also being easily digestible.

Only bias is that they only recommend things you can find on Amazon (mostly) since they rely on Amazon affiliate links to generate revenue. But that seems like a small bias in the greater scheme of things.

I would have went with their in-ear headphones recommendation, but didn't mind spending a little more money, so I picked up the Sennheisers. Reviews seem to be mostly good, with the main complaints being the price. MSRP is like $450, but you can find them for $200-250

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677682,&is=REG&A=details

This is great! I'm thinking my new ear buds will actually need to be two separate sets - one with wires that I'll use for planes and at the office, and one sans-wires that I'll need once I update my iPhone. Being the cheap bastard I am, I had hoped I could have my cake and eat it too, but our dear friends at Apple wouldn't allow me to only have one set of buds...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think the best part about them is that they write buyers guides, not reviews.

With reviews...who knows. Can you compare one reviewer's opinion to another's? Is the latest and greatest always going to come off better because the hype-o-meter is hot and all of the sites have recent reviews, so that's what comes up on google?

The Wirecutter (and Sweethome) break it down into "If you want to buy X today, we think you should buy ____". They might provide some options for different budgets or preferences, but the goal is to avoid having to do your own deep dive on a product.

And they are also willing to say "We haven't updated this article in a while, so you might want to wait as some cool new things have come out and we haven't tested them". They are also fairly responsive to the comment sections on their guides, so sometimes you can get a response to a comparison query from someone who actually tested each model.

I don't agree with their picks 100% of the time, but I've never been sorely disappointed by one either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads